IGNORED

Do you guys clean your irons & wedges during a round ?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm constantly spitting on my irons & wedges and brushing them off to get the mung out of the grooves & wiping them down with a towel - do it all the time during a round.    I'm discreet about it but it grosses my wife out ...

Just using a towel or a dry brush doesn't cut it.    Curious how everybody else does it or if you just play with dirty clubs ?    I'd like to know how pro caddies do it ... they must always have a saturated wet towel on the bag ??

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a Frogger brush and towel.  The towel is designed to stay wet on the inside.  I usually can just wipe off the clubs on the inside of the towel, but if I hit a shot fat in mud I use the brush first.

Joe Paradiso

When I first started caddying....waaaay too long ago to admit, the first thing I was taught was to always carry a full sized bath towel, about a third of which is kept wet. Every club is wiped off after every shot. I've done so ever since.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

When I first started caddying....waaaay too long ago to admit, the first thing I was taught was to always carry a full sized bath towel, about a third of which is kept wet. Every club is wiped off after every shot.

I've done so ever since.

wow interesting ... trick of the trade

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

When I first started caddying....waaaay too long ago to admit, the first thing I was taught was to always carry a full sized bath towel, about a third of which is kept wet. Every club is wiped off after every shot.

I've done so ever since.

You see the same sort of thing in competitive junior tournaments and its a habit you quickly pick up since most tournaments give away a "free" towel with the entry fee. I do this too, but I also have a Frogger brush that I use when there's some pesky dirt that wants to stay or before I hit any wedge shot (just to ensure the grooves are clean).

I've done so ever since.

me too - used that towel to clean irons, wooden woods & old Titleist balatas

and it was a good loop if my member bought me a coke & candy bar at each halfway house.

Players play, tough players win!

me too - used that towel to clean irons, wooden woods & old Titleist balatas and it was a good loop if my member bought me a coke & candy bar at each halfway house.

Man, that really brings back a strong sense of nostalgia. Pepsi and a Baby Ruth for me thanks!

Steve

Usually I chuck the stick back in the bag and move on after each shot. But I do check irons and wedges before each shot and clean to varying degrees depending on how dirty they are before the shot. I use Stinger tees which have very sharp points; they're great to clean out grooves if needbe.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Is spin greatly affected by dirty grooves? I would assume so but do we know how much? I can't say I see a lot of difference with my wedges, ball quality on the other hand seems to affect it more.

I clean my all my clubs after every shot. It's the main part of my post shot routine. A wet towel, and pick tool  is what I use. I figure if I don't, I will get a lot of excess wear, and tear (scratches) on the club face.

Now, I have run into several folks, who don't clean their clubs after every shot, who want that extra wear, and tear on their club face. Their reasoning is the rougher the club face, the more spin they can put on the ball. I don't know that to be true, because I have done some experimenting on my own, and found I don't have the proper swing (impact angle?) to put a lot of spin on a ball, even if the other conditions required for maximum back spin are correct.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm constantly spitting on my irons & wedges and brushing them off to get the mung out of the grooves & wiping them down with a towel - do it all the time during a round.    I'm discreet about it but it grosses my wife out ... Just using a towel or a dry brush doesn't cut it.    Curious how everybody else does it or if you just play with dirty clubs ?    I'd like to know how pro caddies do it ... they must always have a saturated wet towel on the bag ??

I use the Groove Tube... They are great. Quick 2 sec scrub after every shot... Beats the spit (which is what I did prior)

Use of brass wire brush after most shots + couple of wet towel swipes does it for me. I like places where carts have a container with water + plastic bristles.

Please don't play with dirt in grooves or anywhere in your clubs. That's just lazy and not nice regardless of performance.

Vishal S.

I have a divot repair tool which has a little groove cleaning brush (stiff nylon bristles) on one side.  I got it in a swag bag at a tournament over 20 years ago, and have carried it in my pocket every round since then.  It had the logo of a local bank (long since defunct) printed on it, but that's barely even legible now.  I use it to clean the grooves of my irons/wedges after almost every shot.  If they get muddy I wipe them down with a wet rag, but usually that little brush does the trick.  Can't believe that thing has held up this long (it's made of plastic), and/or that I haven't lost it.

The carts at my home course have a ball/club washer on one of the rear fenders, which also comes in handy.  A quick dip and a wipe with a towel and you're good as new.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Please don't play with dirt in grooves or anywhere in your clubs. That's just lazy and not nice regardless of performance.

Please? Nice?

Yes. I found every bit of weight makes a difference in my shot.

Weight?

When I first started caddying....waaaay too long ago to admit, the first thing I was taught was to always carry a full sized bath towel, about a third of which is kept wet. Every club is wiped off after every shot. I've done so ever since.

I also learned this early on as a caddy. Best method in my opinion.

I don't spit on my clubs ... show them respect! :-$

I use a great towel, fantastic towel, best towel I've ever used. Don't get me wrong, I love other towels, but they are in the wrong business on the golf course. The only towel, and it's amazing, is the Spotless Swing Towel. Now that's a golf towel -- lightweight, pocketed, lanyard, and has an area, a fantastic area - synthetic, really high tech scrubbing material. Amazing, just wet the inside for cleaning your custom fit clubs, fantastic, and you can dry the clubs with the amazingly thin and soft exterior of the towel. In  a pinch, you can even wash your hands and dry them. Simply amazing -- the Spotless Swing Towel.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!