IGNORED

Absolutely lost all confidence with driver and woods

Note: This thread is 3121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hitting driver is a magic trick for me. As long as I focus on keeping my arms as far away from my body as I can on the backswing, it seems to work exceedingly well and eliminate the slice. I lose that feel sometimes and it's something I need to remember, but it works for me. Shallows out my attack angle and makes squaring the clubface easier. Not to mention that width adds a lot of power.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just wondering if anyone has a view on my post above regarding a driving iron.

Thanks,

Shane.

I've gone through a driving iron phase a couple times - it never lasts.     It is important to develop confidence in a "tight fairway" tee shot club when it's too sketchy to hit driver or even 3w & you can't afford to lose one OB.    For me, I play a lot of mountain courses with tight fairways and have gained confidence with the 18° hybrid - it's not a substitute for a driver, but is as long as a driving iron and a lot more versatile

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Didn't know you were behind me.  Sheesh, and I thought I played my driver quite well last week.  Should have seen the weeks before that!   In all seriousness I completely agree and have found that typically when I try for a smooth 3/4 speed type swing, or any swing where I don't hit the gas pedal, I typically hit it farther.  Last week my whole thought with driver was to put the ball in play. That thought had me do that about 50% of the time and with some decent distance for me as well.

How did that shot off your ankle feel? :-) On that tee box, I saw you slice the ball over 100 yards into the driving range, tee another and dribble the ball 30 feet into a pond and tee another off your ankle into the same pond. You then turned around and said you normally don't hit this bad. It was the slow play. I thought the sandals and black socks were part of the problem. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

How did that shot off your ankle feel? On that tee box, I saw you slice the ball over 100 yards into the driving range, tee another and dribble the ball 30 feet into a pond and tee another off your ankle into the same pond. You then turned around and said you normally don't hit this bad. It was the slow play. I thought the sandals and black socks were part of the problem.

I always wear black socks on Sunday when golfing, and they were Crocs not just any sandal.

Honestly we were at Lansbrook this weekend, not sure where you were at but the play was not bad for us, teed off around 1:45.  My partner did actually slice two off the tee at drving range into the fairway of the first hole.  I only put one out there so that he wouldn't feel bad about himself. :whistle:

Course was good for the price, their par 3 holes are extremely short though in general.  No starter, no marshals, but still all in all it was good for a couple of beginners like us.  Hey, at least we were not the ones who stuck the golf cart down by some water and abandoned it.

Hi Guys,

Just want to throw an idea out there in relation to my issue with the woods. I had a really enjoyable round on Saturday using my 3 iron off the tee and I scored reasonably well. I was playing with a really nice guy and he casually enquired as to why I didn't use a driver. I explained my situation and he just repied to keep doing what I'm doing, play to my strengths and enjoy the game. Which I did. At the end he mentioned, due to me hitting my 3 iron quite well and fairly consistently, had I ever considered a driving iron? I hadn't to be honest.

My impression of a driving iron seems to be quite outdated as I understood them to be almost impossible clubs to hit that guys used 30 years.... so I did a bit of research on Google and two clubs stand out. The Ping Raptor and the Taylormade UDI. I'm not running out this afternoon and buying one but is it something I should at least consider.

I really like hitting my long irons but I'm not a big fan of hybrids so could this be a viable option for some more distance off the tee?

Any thoughts are much appreciated,

Thanks,

Shane.

The driving iron phase sounds very familiar. It's not really a good club choice unless you hit your driver 280 or more. I would recommend a more versatile 3H. As an example, I get about 20 yards between the 3H, 3W and driver, and about 10 yards per iron from PW to 6i, and generally less for my 5i to 3i. Your driver woes also sound familiar. If you can just hit it like 200-220 yards, it's enough to shoot pretty nice scores. If you try to kill it with the aggressive swing you describe, you'll set up yourself for pretty bad scores. Once I started relaxing and keeping my head steady enough, the better drives just started happening.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I been using a callaway driving iron lately and I feel it really helps me with my driver swing.

I tee it up like a driver and hit up on it,

Don't use it off the fairway,

Goes lower than an hybrid , and sometime longer distance, I find it great if I want to run the ball out on a tight treeline fairway

The motion throught the ball feels like driver more so than when I swing a 5 wood or 3 wood .

The fairway woods feel more like hitting a iron to me as I position the ball off my left armpit for those clubs.

the driving iron and driver, I play the ball more towards my groin or hip area, This make it feel like I can sweep up on ball and tee.

hope this makes sense.

I always wear black socks on Sunday when golfing, and they were Crocs not just any sandal.     Honestly we were at Lansbrook this weekend, not sure where you were at but the play was not bad for us, teed off around 1:45.  My partner did actually slice two off the tee at drving range into the fairway of the first hole.  I only put one out there so that he wouldn't feel bad about himself. :whistle: Course was good for the price, their par 3 holes are extremely short though in general.  No starter, no marshals, but still all in all it was good for a couple of beginners like us.  Hey, at least we were not the ones who stuck the golf cart down by some water and abandoned it.

Not a real fan of Lansbrook. That course is always wet. A swamp actually. :-) I play mostly at Mangrove Bay. Been playing there for over 30 years. I usually play in crocs as well.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Not a real fan of Lansbrook. That course is always wet. A swamp actually. I play mostly at Mangrove Bay. Been playing there for over 30 years. I usually play in crocs as well.

My home course is Northdale and it can get really mucky, its drying out nicely now.  I have read and heard that about Lansbrook but all in all it was okay last Sunday.  I actually do have some Dawgs (crocs basically made for golf) golf shoes, wear them around the yard when it's mucky.  I don't think I could play 18 in them but they are nice for times when you don't want to care.

Will have to check out Mangrove if it is open to the public some time when I get better.

My home course is Northdale and it can get really mucky, its drying out nicely now.  I have read and heard that about Lansbrook but all in all it was okay last Sunday.  I actually do have some Dawgs (crocs basically made for golf) golf shoes, wear them around the yard when it's mucky.  I don't think I could play 18 in them but they are nice for times when you don't want to care.

Will have to check out Mangrove if it is open to the public some time when I get better.

OT - I always liked Lansbrook, have only played Northdale once - we have the same crappy owners as I am a member at River Hills.

As far as driver and woods - the 3 + 5 woods got tossed once I moved up a set of tees, but hitting the driver on the upswing has greatly helped me.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

stop moving your head. keep your lower body still and dont rock backwards or forward during the swing.  Moving your head is the largest contributor the second being your raising up during your swing.  Rasing up is caused by generally being too close to the ball.  All three are easy to stop if you discover which you are doing.

Note: This thread is 3121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!