IGNORED

What Golf Equipment Helped You the Most?

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What piece of golf equipment has had the biggest difference in your scores? A wedge, new driver, switching golf balls? What was it and why?

Getting great instruction helped me the most. If I had to pick then it would be my putter. I gained substantial ability to control my distance and aim. I went from averaging over 2 putts per hole to now averaging 1.6-1.7 putts per hole. My strokes gained putting has improved. I'd say it saved me 2-3 strokes. Getting my swing better has improved my game 6-7 strokes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gotta agree w/ @saevel25 and double down on the good advice from someone who knows what they're talking about who has seen your swing. Equipment will help but bang for buck, good instruction.

It's like cycling. If you wanna go fast, first lose that weight before investing in crazy expensive equipment. Loosing 5 pounds much more of a gain than 0.34 pounds less because of that carbon fork.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Laser rangefinder. You won't know how far you hit your irons and just how much things like wind and elevation effect your shots until you know exactly what you're hitting at.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Good instruction trumps all else. But i was just curious about actual eqmt that helped. So much hype and marketing these days. Biggest thing that ever helped me was when i ourchased my first cleveland wedge. First time i ever owned one with a milled face. Really helped me spin my short chips and pitches. Great stuff so far. Keep it coming.

Callaway's 64* Mack Daddy II for me so far. I can swing fairly hard with this club and know that the ball is not going to travel very far. With this club I can hit the ball so High, that when it lands. I get very little to no roll. This gives me the confidence to go right at the pin and the results are more one putts for me.

I think I found a game changer for me just last week. Found a used set of irons with graphite shafts. Must be the perfect match because everything is going straighter and longer instantly. Always played with steel in my irons before.
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Congrats and way to go!!! I think more players should try graphite in their irons. Made a huge difference for me as well. I only returned to steel because i love the particular shaft in my current set and graphite wasnt an option.

As I got older I lost some swing speed. Thus I also don't hit the ball as high as I need with my mid to long irons. The thing that helped me the most in the last 10 or so years is the hybrids. The ones that allow you to hit the ball high and land it softly on the greens. Most of the places I play have firm greens and it is imperative to hit it high or spin it into the greens. Hybrids are so much easier to hit and most are more forgiving that an iron. The other great club to come into golf in the last twenty years is the big titanium drivers. The driver was always my weak point through the years. Now the driver is one of the stronger clubs in the bag.

As I got older I lost some swing speed. Thus I also don't hit the ball as high as I need with my mid to long irons. The thing that helped me the most in the last 10 or so years is the hybrids. The ones that allow you to hit the ball high and land it softly on the greens. Most of the places I play have firm greens and it is imperative to hit it high or spin it into the greens. Hybrids are so much easier to hit and most are more forgiving that an iron. The other great club to come into golf in the last twenty years is the big titanium drivers. The driver was always my weak point through the years. Now the driver is one of the stronger clubs in the bag.

I agree. I got my first hybrid and big headed driver this year. Hybrid rock solid. Game changer. Getting much more distance with my driver than when I was a young man. A little too erratic with it still though.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

The one club I added to my bag was a 7 metalwood. Pretty much took the place of my 3 & 4 irons, and is much easier to hit. I sometimes receive a few jokes about having it my bag. However, at the end of the day my score does a lot of talking too.

Another club I have that is important to me is an old  2i with a graphite shaft attached to it. It's not a part of my bag make up, but it is an important practice tool for me. I use it to keep my swing tempo/rhythm where it suits me best when using my gamers.  If I swing it too slow, I hurt my hands. If I swing it too fast, who knows where the ball is going, and I still hurt my hands. Swing it just right and it's painless at impact, and the ball has decent flight to it.

100% agreeable with what was said above about finding quality instruction, and using that as a tool.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

It was the golf ball, pro v1. I hit it closer with my irons, further with my woods and rolled every putt. Bam. Bahahaha. Jk. It was me. No equipment has every moved the ball unless I swung the club.

Saevl 25, what kind of putter was it out of curiosity?

[quote name="stealthhwk" url="/t/84284/what-golf-equipment-helped-you-the-most#post_1195709"]Savvyswede that makes sense and thats a tool ive never really thought of[/quote] [quote name="stealthhwk" url="/t/84284/what-golf-equipment-helped-you-the-most#post_1195707"]Good instruction trumps all else. But i was just curious about actual eqmt that helped. So much hype and marketing these days. Biggest thing that ever helped me was when i ourchased my first cleveland wedge. First time i ever owned one with a milled face. Really helped me spin my short chips and pitches. Great stuff so far. Keep it coming.[/quote] Someone is going to point this out to you so may as well be me-[CONTENTEMBED=/t/69379/new-to-the-sand-trap-little-things-members-expect-and-ask-of-fellow-members layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED] As for the question I say a fitted driver is important.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

What piece of golf equipment has had the biggest difference in your scores? A wedge, new driver, switching golf balls? What was it and why?

Driving range, assuming that counts as equipment.  Nothing beats being able to hit the same club at the same target dozens of times in a row.

There is no club magic and if anyone should know, it is me. I have a history with clubs ... too many clubs.

Work on your game - lessons, drills, I've learned more from this website, vids, listening to analysis, etc, than anywhere else.

As to equipment, find long clubs that fit your game - Driver, fairways -- if you find ones that fit you, (less dispersion, longer carry, straight) those will make a huge difference. You've got to have distance and you've got to be in or near the fairway for long term scoring success.

But for equipment to work, you've got to have game.

And equipment does not work if you are not consistent. And who wants to have a consistent swing that sucks? No one.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!