IGNORED

Your 150 yd Club

Costanza1980
Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What club do you hit for 150 yds?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you hit for 150 yds?

• 5 iron
    • 6 iron
    • 7 iron
    • 8 iron
    • 9 iron
    • PW
    • fairway wood/hybrid

I'm trying to gauge where I am with my iron distances. I feel like I hit my clubs way weaker than my buddies. I'm an athletic fellow and I really love golf, but I am pretty overweight and wonder if that's affecting my club speed. I hit a 6 iron when hitting 150 yds, whether on the tee or on the fairway. I want to know what my deal is. I also probably hit my driver 230-250 ish, and would love to figure out how to hit that further. I don't want to get 300, but maybe 250 consistently. So, just a quick survey, what club do you hit for 150 yds?

It depends on the loft and length of the club as well as person's ability to hit the sweet spot and the swing speed. Having said that, my 150 yds club is PW.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the forum @Costanza1980 My 7 iron will end up at 150 if there is no wind. The carry on a good hit is 145. That being said, there could be a number of factors affecting your distance. We have a section called Member Swings where you can post videos of your swing and get excellent help. Check it out.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It depends on the loft and length of the club as well as person's ability to hit the sweet spot and the swing speed.

Having said that, my 150 yds club is PW.

Pretty close to the same for me, depending on the lie. In the short grass it's more 140-145 but from the rough where I'll likely catch a flier lie it's more 150ish. I don't have a 150 even club, and given that on most courses short is better than long I will use the PW for 150 or 9 iron if long is better than short.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Welcome to the site! :beer: Rather than start all over again, maybe this will help... [CONTENTEMBED=/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie layout=block][/CONTENTEMBED]

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For decades I've used a 7 iron and I'm not going to change it...I could probably hit it father but then

I would have to adjust all my other irons and I've been doing it to long to change...

Generally a 7 iron, but it can be an 8 when I'm really swinging cleanly.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I'm trying to gauge where I am with my iron distances. I feel like I hit my clubs way weaker than my buddies. I'm an athletic fellow and I really love golf, but I am pretty overweight and wonder if that's affecting my club speed. I hit a 6 iron when hitting 150 yds, whether on the tee or on the fairway. I want to know what my deal is. I also probably hit my driver 230-250 ish, and would love to figure out how to hit that further. I don't want to get 300, but maybe 250 consistently. So, just a quick survey, what club do you hit for 150 yds?

My 150 club used to be my 7 iron. Now not so sure. Switched from steel to graphite recently and hitting my irons longer. Before this year I was swinging Cleveland vas irons that have a very big offset. Reviews on them say they are 1 to 1 1/2 club shorter than most other irons. I had distance issues with them too. Technique maybe. Could be your equipment too. I'd hit your friends clubs or go test some at golf galaxy somewhere. you may notice a big change too with club change.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Being 64 years old and having had three back surgery, I hit a 5H (25*) for a 150 yard shot. I can it my 6 or 7 150 but it has to be a pure strike off a good lie. I find the hybrid easier to hit and the ball lands softer to hold the green. BTW I only hit my driver about 220 to 230 yards. Bottom-line I don't hit my clubs that far. I make up for it with accuracy around the green (100 yards and in).

It's probably technique.  4 years ago, my 6 iron was my 150 yard club.  I was hitting my drives around 180-200.  After 4 years of on-and-off lessons, my 8 iron is my 150 club although I could probably reach it with a really hard 9 if I wanted to.  Driver is now around 240-250 (on a good drive, not avg).

Here's another weird thing. I probably hit my driver on average 230 but on a 200 yard par three I will hit a three iron or a hybrid and get either on the green are close but a 230 yard par three I will still try with my hybrid because I'm worried to overshoot with my driver.

Here's another weird thing. I probably hit my driver on average 230 but on a 200 yard par three I will hit a three iron or a hybrid and get either on the green are close but a 230 yard par three I will still try with my hybrid because I'm worried to overshoot with my driver.

Most greens have more trouble in the front than back. Hit the driver. Or maybe a 3 wood?

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Ill tell u my 150 yard club in a sec but first i want to show you the fountain of golf. My pure love for the game led me to this point and id really like to share with anyone who will listen. I tell everyone who will listen but esp noobs or higher handicaps. I want the lowest score possible, the easiest way possible, and i dont wanna be golf mad, i want to have a blast while doing it. I pondered that for a long time. When i figured out the solution, i googled it and what d' ya know? Im not so crazy after all. IT DOESNT MATTER!!! Ive shot legit rounds in the 80s and at 32 years of age in pretty decent shape i CANT hit it over 193 at the moment. DISTANCE is helpful but NOT required. If u are playing the correct tees all par 4s should be right at 400 or less. Lets say 368 is the average. Hit ur 6 150. Hit ur six again 150. U are now 68 yards from the green. Take a wedge and hit the ball to the fattest portion of the green. Make a putt and u have a par. 2 putt and u have a bogey. Bogey golf is good golf unless ur on tour. Try it and i doubt you will care what club u hit 150. If u think im crazy, google plugged in golf how to break 90. They confirmed my little plan was unorthodox but not crazy. 2nd try out with it i went from shooting high 90s to shooting a 88. SORRY, Had to say all that. To answer ur ?, i hit my 8 iron 150. When i do use woods and im hitting it well, i get it out there about 220. (Lol and that game plan usually gets me a 92. If im hitting the woods well...if not hit well and i follow that plan....hello 104.)

Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!