IGNORED

Your 150 yd Club

Costanza1980
Note: This thread is 3111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What club do you hit for 150 yds?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you hit for 150 yds?

• 5 iron
    • 6 iron
    • 7 iron
    • 8 iron
    • 9 iron
    • PW
    • fairway wood/hybrid

I hit my 8 iron for a 150 yard shot, but then I expect no roll at all due to soft conditions and quite some spin.

In the bag:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex 440 8.5° (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ LE) S-flex

Woods: Nike Vapor Fly 15° (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ LE) S-flex : Vapor Fly 19° (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ LE) S-flex

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 4-PW S-Flex

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52° : Jaws X 56°

Putter: Odyssey White Ice 3

Ball: Nike RZN Black

Which club you use for what distance is simply another dick measuring contest... it's what keeps the bad players playing bad.

Standing on a par 3 150 yards

partner:  What club did you use?

Me: The club that would put it where I wanted to with these conditions at that distance...

partner:  Yeah but which one

Me: ....

Want to know your distances? Want to know the overlaps?

Get on a launch monitor, OUTSIDE, and do a club mapping.

• Upvote 1

I HATE The 150 yd shot - right in between my 8i (145 yds) & 7i (155 yds).

I find I do better hitting a hard 8i rather than taking off a 7i.   I might choke up an inch or so on a 7i ... just depends on the shot & if the worst miss is short or long

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Usually I'm a 6I as well. Once in a while, If the green is open-front and I'm hitting it well, I'll go 7I. It's a fairly annoying spot for me because I don't really get the air I need to stop the 6I most of the time. If I can find a bit more length, it ought to make a big difference.

I'm trying to gauge where I am with my iron distances. I feel like I hit my clubs way weaker than my buddies. I'm an athletic fellow and I really love golf, but I am pretty overweight and wonder if that's affecting my club speed. I hit a 6 iron when hitting 150 yds, whether on the tee or on the fairway. I want to know what my deal is. I also probably hit my driver 230-250 ish, and would love to figure out how to hit that further. I don't want to get 300, but maybe 250 consistently. So, just a quick survey, what club do you hit for 150 yds?

If your HI is 25 as you said, keep working on swing mechanics and the distance will increase.   And ... get that weight down in any case.   That will only help you in more ways than one. B-)

Welcome to the TST.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I find I do better hitting a hard 8i rather than taking off a 7i.   I might choke up an inch or so on a 7i ... just depends on the shot & if the worst miss is short or long

I always go for the choking down option as it's marginally the better option. But a hard 8i would end up fat and the choked 7i would end up thin :-\ .

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

150 was a 7 for me at the beginning of the season, but now it's an 8 as I've gotten better :-D . Big improvement year for me. Iron length depends on a few things, good contact, divot in front of the ball, club is delofted a bit.

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

150 was a 7 for me at the beginning of the season, but now it's an 8 as I've gotten better :-D . Big improvement year for me. Iron length depends on a few things, good contact, divot in front of the ball, club is delofted a bit.

Wait, divot in front of the ball? Not right under it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero

150 was a 7 for me at the beginning of the season, but now it's an 8 as I've gotten better . Big improvement year for me. Iron length depends on a few things, good contact, divot in front of the ball, club is delofted a bit.

Wait, divot in front of the ball? Not right under it?

He meant towards the target. The definitions can be confusing. . .like chunking the ball means hitting behind the ball. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I Forgot to add you could choke down on your driver some for that long par 3. It will shorten your distance.
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I used to blast my 53* 150. Even used 8i at 180-190. Hc was a 18 at best 16. Now I'm swinging slower smoother and 8i is my 150. My hc is down to a 7.6 from an 11 from 15 rounds ago. It's been my biggest breakthrough. 60* is up to 99. 53* is up to 120. Pw -139. 9i-145. these are my scoring clubs. last night I was within 9 feet from 50,60,70,74,90,100,116,136 made 3 birdies a bogey recovery and 4 pars for a 78 at the end. The only lack of distance I worry about is my driver. If your 230-250 your fine.

I Forgot to add you could choke down on your driver some for that long par 3. It will shorten your distance.

It might, I tried to choke down on mine for control, ended up hitting more out of the middle and they went miles further as smash factor went up.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

I feel like the short hitter here lol. 6i is my standard 150 club. I can hit it further if I swing out of my shoes but I have no idea where it will end up.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Most people can hit that distance with basically any club in their bag if they take something off a longer iron or deloft a shorter iron or wedge. But if we're talking stock shot for 150, it's my 8i which Game Golf tells me averages 149. I'll take my chances with that last yard, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!