IGNORED

macgregor challenger irons

Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
    • Wordle 1,040 4/6 ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨 ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩 ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    • Hi everybody!  I am new to the golf game. I have taken some lessons and got fitted for clubs a couple of months ago. I usually score between 110-120 for 18 holes.  I bought a Stealth driver last year and have been hitting consistently with it 210-230 yds on the simulator. But when I take it out on the course, every drive is a severe slice!  I played 18 holes yesterday at the club where I belong. I removed the driver from my bag and used the 5 iron to drive with. I hit straight 16 out of 18 drives, 180 - 200 yds. I used the 5i - putter for the rest of my game.  I ended the day with a 92. Question: Does it make sense for me to continue playing with irons only until I get further along in my game before I reintroduce the Driver and woods again? Or should I continue to struggle with the Driver and woods and shoot in the 100’s again? To me it’s a no brainer, but for those more advanced I am interested to get feedback.
    • Thank you, currently I only had the 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 irons in the bag. I was never finding myself in a situation to use the 4 and 5 so I dropped those a while ago. The 60W is what I've been practicing with the most in the back yard, but that's only with short chipping. I don't think I've ever practiced hitting my wedges at 80% - 100% apart from yesterday. Maybe I should be doing that more. Generally I would be using a 9 iron if I was out about 75 yards or so. I am not really sure I understand your mention of the 60W and 3H. Aren't these going to be giving me completely different results? Unfortunately I am not able to adjust the loft on the hybrids I have. I looked into the Shot Scope H4 you suggested and this seems really neat and handy, however I am struggling to understand how it works. Am I correct in assuming it doesn't track the ball distance until you hit the ball a second time? Say I drive from the tee and walk up to my ball, tag the next club and hit the ball. Is it at this point when I tag my next club while standing next to my ball that is knows the distance? Thank you, I am going to give the local shop a call and check their prices and see what they can offer.
    • Do you know what their handicaps are? The handicap system isn't perfect and given the higher variance from higher handicaps, I think low handicap players would be expected to win maybe 60% of their matches? I'm not exactly sure what that number is and it will vary with the handicap difference, but if they're generally very low handicaps, then they might be at 60% likely to win a game. Given it's 16 vs 16, that's a lot of games to win. If it's 60%, then that's around an 80% chance that they'll win a given match. At 80% chance of winning, 21 wins in a row is about 1 in 108 times. Pretty unlikely, but not unheard of. It's pretty sensitive to what that individual win percentage is too. If it's 65%, then 21 wins is about 1 in 9. If it's 55%, then 21 wins is 1 in about 5,700. Clearly it's not as simple as this because that win likelihood is going to change match to match as they play lower handicap teams or higher handicap teams, but I don't think it's a "yes they're cheating" thing at all.
    • I'll be honest, the only reason the 2 iron was in my bag is because I tend to hit the ball into the tree's fairly often. And I was using it to help me keep the ball very low to get out of the tree's while avoiding getting much loft to hit branches. I guess I can drop the 3H as well. Would it be wise to give a higher loft fairway wood a try as well, something like a 26 degree? I believe there is only one golf shop where I live that has a golf simulator and trainer. I see they offer free fitting with a purchase from the fitter. I'll have to check how much they charge without a purchase, I've read a few stories about fitters on this forum that just wanted to sell the person the most expensive clubs and that kind of deters me a bit. They do offer lessons as well. I'll give them a call and ask them a bit more about these services. Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...