IGNORED

What are your own personal tips and tricks for better play and a more enjoyable game all around?

hackingthelinks
Note: This thread is 3115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf isn't always about your gameplay, am I right? Sometimes you can have a grand old time when you're playing your worst - it's all about the attitude. There are a bunch of ways I help myself relax and just enjoy the time spent with friends and family out on the links.

What are some of the things you do to make the whole experience more enjoyable? Especially when your game's gone south.

I saw this funny video the other day and made me think of this post:

• 3 weeks later...

I think I saw some variation of this video on the golf channel. But the guy was golfing with his boss and he actually dropped a ball in the hole.

Anyway for me it would be to have a couple beers, a hot dog and switch in to "I'm just working on my game mode" - and stop keeping score.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Play with friends.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For high handicapper I recommend playing with less clubs. Just started doing that myself and it's been a blast. It helps to play with friends doing the same thing.
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

No whining, no sulking, no throwing tantrum, looking around and enjoying the view, enjoying being outdoors, enjoying company, and understanding getting a par or birdie is a bonus.   When that fails, treat myself to a good meal & a drink, cold beer preferred.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Playing with friends helps me a lot. Using game golf during my rounds has helped a lot too. It allows me to focus on my shots instead of my score.
Driver: Cobra Fly Z Plus, Stock Stiff,  10.5
3 Wood: TaylorMade AeroBurner, Stock Stiff, 15.0
3 Hybrid: Nike Vapor Speed, Stock Stiff, 20.0
4 to GW: Mizuno JPX EZ, KBS Tour 120
54: Cleveland Tour Action, Standard Bounce
58: Nike VR Vx3x Grooves, Toe Sweep
Putter: Odyssey Versa
Grips: Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

"Golf is not a game of good shots.  It's a game of bad shots." - Ben Hogan

For beginners...if you play a lot with veteran golfers, match play is a good equalizer for those blow up holes. Little more fun to be down 2 points, instead of 6 strokes by the turn.

Tips: Keep the ball on the playground, play safer shots, manage your game.

Tricks: Be eventful and imaginative once in a while. You may even surprise yourself and friends.

Fun is being out playing, practicing, or just watching others.

Sharing thoughts, ideas, or reminiscing of favorite golf outings, like the Newport Cup.

Cheers, Dave and Vishal. Till we tee it up together once again.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

For high handicapper I recommend playing with less clubs. Just started doing that myself and it's been a blast. It helps to play with friends doing the same thing.

Less selection of clubs will give me more stress. :-(

BTW, isn't that going to hurt your game more, @Sante TwoGloves ?   You are carrying RH & LH clubs.   To carry less club, you have to make harder choices than those of us mortals who carry either all RH or LH clubs. ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Less selection of clubs will give me more stress.  :-( BTW, isn't that going to hurt your game more, @Sante TwoGloves ?   You are carrying RH & LH clubs.   To carry less club, you have to make harder choices than those of us mortals who carry either all RH or LH clubs.  ;-)

Well I only played one 9 so far this way and scored better. Going at it again next Monday. I definitely had less stress deciding which clubs to select. No second guessing. Made my selections easily and hit. I really wasn't between clubs much that day. My friend played with 5 clubs and was 4 over losing three strokes on one par 3. He was inbetween clubs and decided to hit an easy 7 iron and pushed it ob. Later we thought he should have choked down and hit with his normal swing. Need less distance hit a fade, need more hit a draw, etc. Having to manufacture different shots like that I think will help my game in the long run. It sure makes practicing easier with only 8 clubs to sharpen.

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

Well I only played one 9 so far this way and scored better. Going at it again next Monday. I definitely had less stress deciding which clubs to select. No second guessing. Made my selections easily and hit. I really wasn't between clubs much that day. My friend played with 5 clubs and was 4 over losing three strokes on one par 3. He was inbetween clubs and decided to hit an easy 7 iron and pushed it ob. Later we thought he should have choked down and hit with his normal swing. Need less distance hit a fade, need more hit a draw, etc. Having to manufacture different shots like that I think will help my game in the long run. It sure makes practicing easier with only 8 clubs to sharpen.

Interesting. So assuming those 8 you list are the ones then a driver doesn't make the cut? And why both LH and RH?

All I do when I play golf is have fun, and stay relaxed. I like the term "relaxed focus". When I hit a poor shot, it's not the end of the world. I usually just chuckle to myself and say "where the hell did that come from" even though I know exactly where it came from.....Me.  I probably am more serious about my game when I practice than when I am actually playing.  I just don't let negative things bother me. on, or off the golf course.

I was re-reading a short game instruction book. They wrote that having a good short game was like having "par for a partner". Always like that phrase.

I tend to pay more attention to course management than I think most golfers do. Over the years I have played a lot of new (to me) golf courses, and taking the extra time to think my way around them has helped with good scores.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Interesting. So assuming those 8 you list are the ones then a driver doesn't make the cut? And why both LH and RH?

I have been using a driver all year but have been inconsistent with it. Last week I opened my face, opened my stance and was able to keep my ball in the fairway with a high, big looping ball. I practiced the shot at the range and played it and it worked but iI have been limping around all week ever since. My right thigh and hip got all messed up. It's getting better and I hope to start hitting the driver again soon. I have an event coming up where I really could use it, a 7200 yard course. For the other small courses I plan on playing this year I am tinkering with the idea of leaving it home and coming off the tee with a 3w, 5 wood, or hybrid. I used to play both ways decades ago. This is the my first year with a mixed bag. A left shoulder injury at the start of the year hindered my right handed swing on my driver and woods so I started the year left with them and the rest right handed. But I have been adding clubs and changing sides all year. Haha read a right eye dominant person may have an advantage putting left so I made that switch a month ago and I am putting better. I am pretty happy with my setup right now finally. I just need to get my drives better. Losing a lot of distance. so much that I'm not that much further than my woods and they go straight most of the time.

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

I have been using a driver all year but have been inconsistent with it. Last week I opened my face, opened my stance and was able to keep my ball in the fairway with a high, big looping ball. I practiced the shot at the range and played it and it worked but iI have been limping around all week ever since. My right thigh and hip got all messed up. It's getting better and I hope to start hitting the driver again soon. I have an event coming up where I really could use it, a 7200 yard course. For the other small courses I plan on playing this year I am tinkering with the idea of leaving it home and coming off the tee with a 3w, 5 wood, or hybrid. I used to play both ways decades ago. This is the my first year with a mixed bag. A left shoulder injury at the start of the year hindered my right handed swing on my driver and woods so I started the year left with them and the rest right handed. But I have been adding clubs and changing sides all year. Haha read a right eye dominant person may have an advantage putting left so I made that switch a month ago and I am putting better. I am pretty happy with my setup right now finally. I just need to get my drives better. Losing a lot of distance. so much that I'm not that much further than my woods and they go straight most of the time.

Crazy man - that ambidextrous stuff.

You'd be phenomenal  if you  were an MLB pitcher.But in golf does it make life confusing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregsandiego

I am also playing both right/left handed, only I am not using a mixed bag. It's either one or the other when practice/play. Same reason as you due to injuries. Might have to look into the mixed bag thing.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Crazy man - that ambidextrous stuff.

You'd be phenomenal  if you  were an MLB pitcher.But in golf does it make life confusing?

there was a pitcher this year  in the mlb who pitched both ways in the same inning. he has a glove that works with either hand. he pitched the lefties left handed and the righties right handed. it was pretty cool to see. there have been a few shots this year when i was carrying a full bag that messed up my head some not sure which club and which way to swing but since dropping down to 8 that hasnt been much of an issue. i like that if i am slicing my driver too much one day i can come off the tee with my 5 wood and if i miss with that its usually the opposite way of my driver miss so i can decide which club to play based on where the trouble is. i also like my wedges opposite for other reasons, the lie, slope of the green, etc.

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

I am also playing both right/left handed, only I am not using a mixed bag. It's either one or the other when practice/play. Same reason as you due to injuries. Might have to look into the mixed bag thing.

yeah, i think its fun and might give you some advantages. i think it does for me.

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

Note: This thread is 3115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!