IGNORED

10 Captains Tips from Observing the Newport Cup

iacas
Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For those you who are grading yourselves, is an "A" where you think you should be presently, or where you want to be?

A bit of a combination of both, but leaning more towards "where I want to be."  All in all, I played pretty well this week in relation to where I'm at now.  But I want to be that guy who can smack it around the course and hit 10-12 greens and 16-17 nGIR without it being a fluke.  Right now, 8-9 GIR and 10-12 nGIR is a really good day.  (That would get a B+, I think ;))

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I think it would be interesting to assess a round or a few rounds using those criteria. I asked because if someone of my skill level were to critique their game, they may have similar grades, but it would be relative to their present handicap or near future goals.

I like it.

Jon

Well, I think it would be interesting to assess a round or a few rounds using those criteria. I asked because if someone of my skill level were to critique their game, they may have similar grades, but it would be relative to their present handicap or near future goals.

I like it.

Right.  A 30 handicapper should consider what their "par" is and grade accordingly, because just saying "F" across the board because they are so far removed from a professional isn't really accomplishing anything.

For those you who are grading yourselves, is an "A" where you think you should be presently, or where you want to be?

Neither, using present or future in your questions.

The grading is based on performance of play during the event.

One could also grade on each day, play on front or back, or each hole over the five rounds played.

Goals or accomplishments over a period of time could also be considered "grading" of someone's personal achievements.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

@iacas

We have answered all of your questions, now it's time to put you guys on the spot !
Share with us your strategy of the selections for pairings and matching players against each opponent.
Tell us your thoughts on the pairings for best ball, alternate shot, and individual contests?
Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

No Game Golf data? Teams could have shared hardware.

Some guys recorded many of their rounds.  I know @kpaulhus recorded some.  Others didn't want to worry about tagging when they were busy "worrying" about the competition.  And then there was a third group, which I fall into:  I recorded my first round (haven't processed it yet), and then when I found out at the end of the day that I could leave everything at the club, I forgot about my GG so I wasn't able to charge it and it was dead the next afternoon when I went to try and use it again.  I forgot again at the end of the day Friday. :doh:

Some guys recorded many of their rounds.  I know @kpaulhus recorded some.  Others didn't want to worry about tagging when they were busy "worrying" about the competition.  And then there was a third group, which I fall into:  I recorded my first round (haven't processed it yet), and then when I found out at the end of the day that I could leave everything at the club, I forgot about my GG so I wasn't able to charge it and it was dead the next afternoon when I went to try and use it again.  I forgot again at the end of the day Friday.

I'd be interested in seeing the rounds if anyone has edited and signed any. I didn't follow the matches much. Mostly because I was bummed I declined to participate, had to because I am a slave to my job. Haven't had a friggin' vacation since 2005.

I wasn't surprised by Erik's post. You're one of the guys I was thinking of when I mentioned the lower handicap members here tend to be self deprecating. Was kind of shocked after the OP that some participants were giving themselves what seem to be generous grades given the tone of Erik's post, more indictment than compliment.

Dave :-)

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/132093/] [/URL] @saevel25 - nice.

That was a mistag error from game golf. They are working on the fix.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Some guys recorded many of their rounds.  I know @kpaulhus recorded some.  Others didn't want to worry about tagging when they were busy "worrying" about the competition.  And then there was a third group, which I fall into:  I recorded my first round (haven't processed it yet), and then when I found out at the end of the day that I could leave everything at the club, I forgot about my GG so I wasn't able to charge it and it was dead the next afternoon when I went to try and use it again.  I forgot again at the end of the day Friday.

I recorded 2. My 2nd and 3 rounds. The first round I also recorded but like @Golfingdad I left my GG in my bag and by the end of the round Friday I had since played 3 rounds and could not remember the more advanced details of my round.

Michael

One question I have for the players, were you nervous playing in front of Erik and Mike? I think I would be terrified. Do you think it affected your play?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

One question I have for the players, were you nervous playing in front of Erik and Mike? I think I would be terrified. Do you think it affected your play?

Honestly, it was the first time playing around them that I wasn't nervous.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The first tee shot on Thursday and the First tee shot on Saturday.

Besides that it was Golf :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think I would be as well. Probably playing with anyone from this site would make me a bit nervous.

Jon

I'd have to say that I was keyed up, perhaps nervous is another way to describe it, but it didn't have a lot to do with Mike and Erik.  It was all about the pressure I put on myself, wanting to play well with (and against) this bunch of guys.  I get to play a fair amount of competitive golf, and I feel this kind of nervousness every time, and that's one of the reasons I do it.  Erik said it really well here:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/53453/the-mental-game-in-two-words

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!