IGNORED

To Carry or to Push (my bag)

Elmer
Note: This thread is 3142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you Carry your bag or use a Push cart?

• Carry Bag
    • Use a push cart
    • I am a slacker, I ride in a cart!

push cart.  surprisingly burns about the same amount of calories as carrying the bag.

I am not surprised. I actually find the push cart seems like more trouble than it is worth. I think it might use more energy if the course is hilly, or muddy in places. But each of us speaks for himself.

I would love one of those follow you around bag carts though. I admit.

I prefer to carry my bag as opposed to pushing a cart.  I find my legs get tired either way, but with the cart my hands and arms also get fatigued.  Perhaps my back is stronger than my hands, but my swing deteriorates more when my hands are tired.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Push, since I play mostly twilight it is hot enough already without a bag on my back. If I was carrying I'd probably use a 7 iron and a few balls in my pocket. Maybe 3w, 4i, 6i, 8i, sw and putter.

I have always been a carry type of guy.  I never use carts as I prefer the exercise and I feel carts speed up play too much.

Last year I tried to use a pull cart and found that to be more work than carrying and also more strain on my back.  I have stuck to just carrying and won't use a pull/push cart.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I carry for 9 and use a push cart for 18. I could easily carry for 18, but I like to carry a lot of crap in my bag (extra balls being the heaviest thing). When I've done it, it wears me down more than with the cart. Specifically, my back hurts a bit after carrying 18, but not after push carting it for 18. I feel like my play suffers on the last few holes when I carry 18.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I am not surprised. I actually find the push cart seems like more trouble than it is worth. I think it might use more energy if the course is hilly, or muddy in places. But each of us speaks for himself.

I would love one of those follow you around bag carts though. I admit.

My home course is hilly, can be muddy.

But alot of the greens are elevated, therefore you have find a spot to park your cart, grab the right clubs and hoof it to the green.

But If I carry it tends to only be 9.

I play in a weekly league and there is always a rush to get out before the tee backs up. I use some vacation time to get out early weekly, but have to rush to the course, change in the lot and grab my gear. I find having to pull my bag out, then my cart, strap my cart to my bag (reverse that!) and get down to the tee is a hassle.

I am thinking just grabbing my bag would knock off a few essential minutes.

Now I just have to figure out how to strengthen my back and legs in the off season.

Guess I will be visiting squat city!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I carry... my bag from the car to the golf cart (if I don't use the bag drop). That's about it, most courses in my area a cart is required. I used to have a double strap carry bag but bought a nice cart bag this year, its got a cooler in it and all. Maybe in the winter I could consider walking but at this time of year when its about 100º out with 90% humidity you'd probably have a heat stroke, I sweat through my shirt sitting in a cart. Isn't driving the golf cart 1/2 the fun anyways, although I did flip it once. On the other hand if your walking you don't have to worry about your partner hitting you with the cart which has happened a couple times, although if I did carry people would probably think I was Canadian and no one wants that.

I normally ride in a cart because i work very hard for a living and walking 18 on my off day is a little much when u combine the two. But i ABSOLUTELY LOVE to walk, its more relaxing and i tend to play better for some reason. That being said heres tips ive learned: Push carts are nice but kind of a pain in their own right. For carry; lightest bag possible, cut the junk u really dont need, and if its still heavy, cut clubs. In golf ive learned most players only need 4-10 clubs for a round anyways.

It depends on the course I play, I usually carry if it's hilly or for a quick 9 holes, I usually load up half my clubs and I can't say I really miss the half I don't bring!

However if it's 18 holes and flat, I'll load up the whole set and push. But I prefer carrying, I feel more "in tune" with the course, not sure why.

Now I just have to figure out how to strengthen my back and legs in the off season.

Guess I will be visiting squat city!

I recommend the treadmill. I have one that has an adjustable incline. I started out the summer in terrible shape, from being a computer programmer my whole working life, it only took a couple of months to get where I could handle the speed and significant time on the incline and do 30 mins without wanting to quit the whole time. Do that and walking with clubs will be easy. Of course assuming that you don't have an injury or other condition that would interfere.

I recommend the treadmill. I have one that has an adjustable incline. I started out the summer in terrible shape, from being a computer programmer my whole working life, it only took a couple of months to get where I could handle the speed and significant time on the incline and do 30 mins without wanting to quit the whole time. Do that and walking with clubs will be easy. Of course assuming that you don't have an injury or other condition that would interfere.

I have a treadmill which has an adjustable incline. It resides in the basement. I find myself using it during the winter moreso than spring, summer. I have always have a hard time justifying using a treadmill when I could take my dog for a walk.

But I am going to make a real effort to get on a schedule and walk 30 minutes a day (I usually walk 45 min at work a day). Maybe this time around I will skip the running.

SWMBO has always suggested I wear my golf bag or a backpack with weight in it, to condition myself!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

When I walk and carry, it is with a super-lightweight bag and a half-set (D, 3W, 3,5,7,9,W,SW,P) of clubs. Sometimes a full set with a pull cart or a SinMountain push cart. I find the pull cart more maneuverable than the push cart, but carrying is still the best way to go. On a real hot, humid day, I'll take a cart. But I prefer the exercise benefit of walking; taking a cart is just cheating yourself.

I carried for about 40 years. Last year I started having shoulder problems. My Doc said that I should do all I can to avoid surgery, so I did about 12 weeks of rehab. I started using the push cart, and no more shoulder problems. Every once in a while, I'll carry for 9, but I use the cart well over 90% of the time.

I don't like carrying (too much noise and bad feeling in my lower back), but I like to walk, so after using a pull cart of a couple of years (which is completely unbalanced on your shoulders), I switched to a push cart 6-7 years ago, and I haven't looked back since. When I replaced my bag, I switched to a cart bag (no legs) as I either walk with the push cart or, 10 to 20% of the time, ride in a cart. I always have everything I need with me: perfect!

IMHO, the only drawback of the push cart is the amount of space it takes in the car: it's tough to get 2 bags and 2 carts in a car, unless you have an SUV with a large trunk or put the back seats down...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Note: This thread is 3142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!