IGNORED

My Swing (severian)

severian
Note: This thread is 3094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: less than a year

My current handicap index or average score is: +/- 100

My typical ball flight is: draw/hook

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:  duck hook

I just got back into golf after about a 10-15 year hiatus.   My short game needs a lot of work but I have seen improvement.   My biggest issue has been avoiding penalties off the tee.    I can do that hitting 5 iron but my long irons are erratic and I have a lot of difficulty hitting woods and hybrids    I has battling a terrible duck hook with the driver and woods.   I believe I somewhat solved it at the range last night.   Apparently, I was severely closing the club face at address.    Opening it up seemed to help a lot.

I'd appreciate some insight.   I will try to get a face on video shortly.

Videos:

@severian

Thanks for posting. One thing I noticed right away is you are pretty far from the ball. For me, this was causing hooks. My instructor had me bring the handle in so my hands were under my chin. Set up can affect ball flight. Check out the thread below.

Hooks can also be caused by coming over the top because we don't get our weight forward enough. A face on video will help us see this.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The first thing you must get right is the posture. I feel you have too much knee flex at setup, trying straightening your knees, if you have too much flex in the knees your swing it going to get unstable. Think of it like the suspension of a car, it must support your swing, while not being either too stiff or too soft.

You'll need to flex your upper body toward the ball too compensate.

@severian

Thanks for posting. One thing I noticed right away is you are pretty far from the ball. For me, this was causing hooks. My instructor had me bring the handle in so my hands were under my chin. Set up can affect ball flight. Check out the thread below.

Hooks can also be caused by coming over the top because we don't get our weight forward enough. A face on video will help us see this.

Do you think cutting down the length of the driver will help?   I'm short (5'5) and the driver is stock.   I think the shaft is 45".

The first thing you must get right is the posture. I feel you have too much knee flex at setup, trying straightening your knees, if you have too much flex in the knees your swing it going to get unstable. Think of it like the suspension of a car, it must support your swing, while not being either too stiff or too soft.

So bend the knees less and bend forward from the hips more?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

@severian

Do you think cutting down the length of the driver will help?   I'm short (5'5) and the driver is stock.   I think the shaft is 45".

Quote:

Originally Posted by ygmondoux

So bend the knees less and bend forward from the hips more?

Possibly. You could try choking up a bit first.

As for posture, check out this thread.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Sev.  Shaddyboy here.   Bro check out your stance.  The shaft is pointed into your chest, it's way above the plane.  You to to get it a little more towards belly or belt.   Cutting down the shaft will cause you to lose a of distance

Hey Sev.  Shaddyboy here.   Bro check out your stance.  The shaft is pointed into your chest, it's way above the plane.  You to to get it a little more towards belly or belt.  

Yeah I think it's more of a function of his grip, looks very palmy.

@severian check this out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!