IGNORED

Would you rather win a Major or the FedEx Cup?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather Win a Major Championship or The $10 Million FedEx Cup?

• Major
    • FexEx Cup

They do need to make it a mandatory requirement to compete in all Fed Ex Cup events to win, though (I'm looking at you, Sergio). I understand why you'd want some time off, etc., but that loophole diminishes the event, IMO. Let's just let the Warriors take the first round off this year and go to the Western Conference Semifinals because they'll probably kick the pants off the 8 seed, right?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They do need to make it a mandatory requirement to compete in all Fed Ex Cup events to win, though (I'm looking at you, Sergio). I understand why you'd want some time off, etc., but that loophole diminishes the event, IMO. Let's just let the Warriors take the first round off this year and go to the Western Conference Semifinals because they'll probably kick the pants off the 8 seed, right?

I don't mind it. I think they should have a penalty for skipping it. If that penalty still keeps a guy in first place, but makes him very closer to 2nd place then that is a choice he has to make. There should be something that makes them really think about it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It depends what you value more...glory, or money. A major winner is a major winner always. I don't think there's nearly as much stock in winning the Fed Ex cup...aside from the huge money, nobody really cares nearly to the same level. Personally, I'd rather win a major. Any of them.

Agree, however I think it's at least a little more than glory v. Money. A major winner is going to get his fair share of dough. And there is some glory involved in winning the FedEx Cup. At least on a personal level, a guy gets to tell himself that he played well for an entire season and peaked at the end. Majors winners can catch lightning in a bottle for 4 days and that's enough. It takes more than that to win the FedEx cup.

I don't mind it. I think they should have a penalty for skipping it. If that penalty still keeps a guy in first place, but makes him very closer to 2nd place then that is a choice he has to make. There should be something that makes them really think about it.

A penalty works as well, though it could be argued that by not playing, you can't win any points and that's a penalty in itself.

I am assuming you are asking the members, and not professional golfers. Me personally I would take the major, because as an amateur, I would not play enough pro events to qualify for the FedEx in the first place.

Now, from entirely a money standpoint, I would take the $10 because I could most likely parlay that money into much more, even though it's spread out payment wise. As an amateur I would most likely have to turn pro to see the extra monetary value from winning a major.

From a prestige, historical standpoint the major would be the better value for an amateur.

Another thing. I enjoy all the majors, but I despise the FedEx company in a most hateful, business type of way.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

IMHO, provided you don't drop off the face of the golfing world, you have your whole life to take advantage of endorsement/job/etc... opportunities from a major. FedEx, we don't know, it might be this super prestigious event 25 years from now, it may disappear altogether. Long term over short term gain if you're thinking money. Plus a major, there's a nostalgia attached to the course, usually prestigious , maybe to an organization - USGA/R&A.; And that course or organization will provide ample opportunities for social events, networking, plain old fun, etc...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Ok it's contrarian but I'll take the FedEx cup. It would still mean I won probably several golf tournaments, against a top field. And while someone else polishes the claret jug or wears a green jacket to dinner, I'll smile all the way to the bank. :-)

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Ok it's contrarian but I'll take the FedEx cup. It would still mean I won probably several golf tournaments, against a top field. And while someone else polishes the claret jug or wears a green jacket to dinner, I'll smile all the way to the bank. :-)

Just don't spend it all on booze, drugs, gambling and hanger-ons, okay? :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I think most people who are answering in favor of a major are making the assumption (and a fair one, I might add) that the win is part of an otherwise succesful golf career. In other words, imagine Joe Tour Pro, who has been ranked between top 20 - top 75 in the world over the past few years, racked a few top 10's, maybe a win or two and close to 8 figures in career earnings. In other words..... someone like Billy Horschel. In that scenario, given those choices, most people would probably take a major championship win over the FedEx Cup.

But what if you tweak the assumption slightly? Assume a journeyman pro who has never really broken through. Maybe he's had a few good finishes, but he's not a regular name, his better days are behind him and his career earnings are in the low 7 figures. In that scenario, I'd take the FedEx Cup and the $10 million dollar purse that came with it over ANY of the major titles (including the Masters). The life changing money would just be too much of a consideration for me.

As a flash in the pan, hot streak:  FedEx Cup.  Get that money while you are hot.

As a solid golfer who will be around a long time:  The major.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

The europeans or any foreigner will prefer the claret jug over fedex or any of the other majors.The americans would prefer the green jacket over any of the others.Maybe the US Open for some but the masters is the biggie to most.

Just don't spend it all on booze, drugs, gambling and hanger-ons, okay? :-)

Sorry a bit off topic but ... I think the famous quote is "I spent most of my money on women, drink, and drugs ... the rest I wasted."

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Agree, however I think it's at least a little more than glory v. Money. A major winner is going to get his fair share of dough. And there is some glory involved in winning the FedEx Cup. At least on a personal level, a guy gets to tell himself that he played well for an entire season and peaked at the end. Majors winners can catch lightning in a bottle for 4 days and that's enough. It takes more than that to win the FedEx cup.

Well said.

Easy, if I was a PGA tournament pro, I'd rather win a major.  This poll seems like a retorical question to me.

But, I wouldn't call the FedEx cup just another weekly non-major tournament.  It's much bigger than that because of the strength of field.  I'd guess the strength of field for the FedEx cup is stronger than all other tournaments except the majors.

Cash rules everything around me...give me the cup! If we're talking one win then I imagine without a stellar career to go with it you won't really be remembered anyway with only a single major.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Note: This thread is 3068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!