IGNORED

2015 Tour Championship Discussion Thread

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can Jason Day win another?  4 out of 6 already.  Damn he is playing well.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can Jason Day win another?  4 out of 6 already.  Damn he is playing well.

Yes.

Ok, mods, you can lock this thread now since the question has been answered. ;-)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Yes.

Ok, mods, you can lock this thread now since the question has been answered.

LOL.

Would be hard to pick against him at this point, eh?

I hope Fowler plays well though.  I'll be rooting for him this week!

LOL.

Would be hard to pick against him at this point, eh?

I hope Fowler plays well though.  I'll be rooting for him this week!

Well, he just asked if Day can win another.  Since he's in the field, he certainly can . :whistle:

Just to make the #1 spot a bit more fun to explain, I'll be rooting for Rory first, then Day.

Christian

Furyk withdrew, which is a break for all of us. Believe he still gets 30th place prize money.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I think Bubba is due for a good one, but JD will be up there, he just seems unstoppable. On a side note, I thought Jordan missed a lot of short-ish putts on the last round, he seemed all over the place.

I'm pretty excited to watch the FedEx/Tour Championship this week - which I usually don't follow as much, as it is football season.

As much as I would really like to see some subset of Day, Spieth, & McIlroy battle it out, perhaps with Rickie, DJ & Bubba.

I have to say that it will be somewhat disappointing if Bowditch, Na, Piercy or Bae light it up this week; and even more bizarre is the chance that Stenson can win the FedEx championship without winning (and that would be without a win for the entire year)

Players play, tough players win!

and even more bizarre is the chance that Stenson can win the FedEx championship without winning (and that would be without a win for the entire year)

I didn't know this was even a possibility. Wow.

That makes me think this whole playoff thing is a freaking joke. Perhaps they need to reconsider the point-scoring system.

That makes me think this whole playoff thing is a freaking joke. Perhaps they need to reconsider the point-scoring system.

It is what it is.  I think they don't want a winner before the last event starts.  If they made this a 2,000 point event like the previous play 3 weeks events, then Jason Day would have already won and there would be no drama and not as many viewers.

Still not a joke, it's more like a weekly tournament with a strong field and a ton of money on the line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

and even more bizarre is the chance that Stenson can win the FedEx championship without winning (and that would be without a win for the entire year)

It is a points system, which is why this can happen. It is like the Tour de France having a winner that never wins a stage. They all have the same opportunity and it is really defined by consistency in events versus winning a couple of times then skipping or doing poorly in the rest. It also encourages them to play in most, if not all the events.

So in some ways I agree with you. But it does prevent a player from winning 2 or 3, then skipping the rest of the season to win the $10MM.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It is what it is.  I think they don't want a winner before the last event starts.  If they made this a 2,000 point event like the previous play 3 weeks events, then Jason Day would have already won and there would be no drama and not as many viewers.

Still not a joke, it's more like a weekly tournament with a strong field and a ton of money on the line.

Agree - it is like a SuperWGC event (or what I call a "Rich getting Richer" event.

They throw a lot of money into it & make it a select (aka small field) and it gains attention.

But to me, as the event with the smallest field it falls far behind the Majors, the Players, WGC events (excluding the match play, which I like) and some of the top events (Jacks & Arnies tourney, Pebble (nostalgic) as an event.

Players play, tough players win!

No Mulligans, boogielicious- excellent points made by both of you.

Still seems strange that the FedEx Champ could be someone that is winless the entire season.

But as you guys demonstrate, this is probably the way it has to be, otherwise Day would have this thing wrapped up by now.

Also, Stenson has played some damn good golf this year.

No Mulligans, boogielicious- excellent points made by both of you.

Still seems strange that the FedEx Champ could be someone that is winless the entire season.

But as you guys demonstrate, this is probably the way it has to be, otherwise Day would have this thing wrapped up by now.

Also, Stenson has played some damn good golf this year.

Well not entirely winless, one would have to actually that ultimate one. But yeah, it would be one BIG win if someone outside the top 4 gets the Cup. I remember some suggesting a final stage with a match play system, that would be awesome to see the final 30 battling it head to head. Not going to happen though

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/9/23/jordan-on-the-big-three-brooks-koepka-wins-this-week-its-the.html

Nice job by Jordan Spieth at his Wednesday Tour Championship press conference to swat down the absurd "Big Three" marketing machine-driven talk.

From the transcript:

Q. There's been a lot of talk about you being part of a new big three of golf, obviously with Rory and with Jason. Maybe Rickie is going to be part of a big four. But, overall, your take on that and what do you think the three of you specifically, you won five of the last six Majors, what do you guys bring to the sport as a whole?

JORDAN SPIETH: Well I think that the big number, whatever it is, changes, I've seen it change week-to-week out here.

There was big two, there was big one, there was big two, there was big three, there was big two, there was big four. I mean, Brooks Koepka wins this week, it's the big five. You know, it's what it is.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Trivalry!

Fantastic Four!

Fab Five!

Sensational Six!

The Magnificent Seven!

Woohoo!

:-P

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/9/23/jordan-on-the-big-three-brooks-koepka-wins-this-week-its-the.html

Quote:

Nice job by Jordan Spieth at his Wednesday Tour Championship press conference to swat down the absurd "Big Three" marketing machine-driven talk.

From the transcript:

Q. There's been a lot of talk about you being part of a new big three of golf, obviously with Rory and with Jason. Maybe Rickie is going to be part of a big four. But, overall, your take on that and what do you think the three of you specifically, you won five of the last six Majors, what do you guys bring to the sport as a whole?

JORDAN SPIETH: Well I think that the big number, whatever it is, changes, I've seen it change week-to-week out here.

There was big two, there was big one, there was big two, there was big three, there was big two, there was big four. I mean, Brooks Koepka wins this week, it's the big five. You know, it's what it is.

Yeah, I like his answer, too.

I swear, the media will try and spin us anyway they can.  Had there been 3 other "great" golfers when Arnold, Nicklaus, and Palmer were playing, I would love to see who they would include in their "Big 6." :roll:

Trivalry!

Fantastic Four!

Fab Five!

Sensational Six!

The Magnificent Seven!

Woohoo!

Don't forget the Great Eight and the Noble Nine!

Christian

Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!