IGNORED

The Pope ... share your thoughts.

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am no Catholic nor Christian.   I am not religious at all.  But ever since Pope Francis became a pope, I have nothing but the admiration and respect for him.   I love the guy although I disagree with some of his points.   If  more leaders (religious, political, business) are like him, we will be living in a better world.   My 2 cents, feel free to share yours.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am no Catholic nor Christian.   I am not religious at all.  But ever since Pope Francis became a pope, I have nothing but the admiration and respect for him.   I love the guy although I disagree with some of his points.   If  more leaders (religious, political, business) are like him, we will be living in a better world.   My 2 cents, feel free to share yours.

Sure, I agree.

My son almost went to a Franciscan high school, but he preferred going to a broader Christian school instead. That and I got into an argument with the dean of studies over the math curriculum. :whistle:

In any case, the new pope clearly admires St. Francis, and so do I.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wish I could provide some serious input, but I don't really understand the point of having a pope.

He seems to be well thought of and is pretty famous, so maybe I shoulda went to college to be the pope.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I wish I could provide some serious input, but I don't really understand the point of having a pope.

He seems to be well thought of and is pretty famous, so maybe I shoulda went to college to be the pope.

I wish Muslims have someone who can unite their religion like pope does for Catholics.   I appreciate the role pope plays, a spiritual and influential leader for Catholics everywhere.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

He seems to be genuine and forward thinking. But I'm afraid that the underlying powers that be will just revert after he's gone. I am catholic, went to 12 years of CCD and oppose many of the ingrained doctrine of the church that is held over from the middle ages. I have no interest in going to mass until the church modernizes. They still marginalize 52% of the population, oppose contraception and have never really apologized or corrected the mentality that protected pedophiles.

I do find it helpful for the church to have one leader and one voice. But there are disadvantages to having the leader say one thing and the rank in file doing the opposite.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I wish Muslims have someone who can unite their religion like pope does for Catholics.   I appreciate the role pope plays, a spiritual and influential leader for Catholics everywhere.

I was going to reply, but it will all then go off topic.. However, what I will mention is that if the pop is uniting Catholics then that's great. But he isn't uniting Christians, just a group within Christianity. He has seemed pretty level headed and not much controversy comes out of his office so that's a good thing IMO.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I was going to reply, but it will all then go off topic.. However, what I will mention is that if the pop is uniting Catholics then that's great. But he isn't uniting Christians, just a group within Christianity.

He has seemed pretty level headed and not much controversy comes out of his office so that's a good thing IMO.

In the US, Catholics are the largest Christian denomination, and former Catholics are the second largest denomination (NY Times).

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

I was going to reply, but it will all then go off topic.. However, what I will mention is that if the pop is uniting Catholics then that's great. But he isn't uniting Christians, just a group within Christianity.

He has seemed pretty level headed and not much controversy comes out of his office so that's a good thing IMO.

In the US, Catholics are the largest Christian denomination, and former Catholics are the second largest denomination (NY Times).

I am not that large, 5' 10", 190 lbs. :-)

Scott

My Swing Thread

I think you're a bit off here, this Pope seems to be trying to step outside of religion and unite the world.  His talking points on this trip have been;

• Acceptance of alternative life styles
  • Acceptance of other religions
  • Call to abolish human trafficking / slavery
  • Acceptance of refugees and illegal immigrants world wide
  • Climate change

I'd say Pope Francis is well outside the comfort zone of many Catholics and the message should appeal to all religions.  I say this not as a former Catholic but as someone who has been impressed and shocked that someone representing the Catholic church could be so open minded and willing to embrace those whose lifestyles and religions that have previously been condemned.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

I think you're a bit off here, this Pope seems to be trying to step outside of religion and unite the world.  His talking points on this trip have been;

Acceptance of alternative life styles

Acceptance of other religions

Call to abolish human trafficking / slavery

Acceptance of refugees and illegal immigrants world wide

Climate change

I'd say Pope Francis is well outside the comfort zone of many Catholics and the message should appeal to all religions.  I say this not as a former Catholic but as someone who has been impressed and shocked that someone representing the Catholic church could be so open minded and willing to embrace those whose lifestyles and religions that have previously been condemned.

Conservative Catholics are very vocal (i.e.politicians) but they do not represent the majority of US Catholics. All that I know are far more aligned with the changes the Pope is moving too. This is a very welcome change. I hope it continues forward.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Conservative Catholics are very vocal (i.e.politicians) but they do not represent the majority of US Catholics. All that I know are far more aligned with the changes the Pope is moving too. This is a very welcome change. I hope it continues forward.

I agree Scott, especially when you have County clerks claiming they can't issue marriage licenses due to the job being at conflict with their religious beliefs the Pope's position discredits them all.

Joe Paradiso

Climate change

Yep, I like the message.

It's about time.

Let's not forget climate change. :roll:

He could have gone easier on capitalism, which history has shown requires gentle regulation to make certain the system, like any system, is not abused.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

What's the point of having any leader :)

Climate change

His acceptance of alternate lifestyles means that you should not hate that person for the acts they do. He is very much in the mold of what Jesus did in terms of forgiveness, acceptance and not judging people. Jesus has denounced many sins and has told people what they should do and how to act. Yet when he meets a person who has done contrary to what he has said he has been accepting of them as a person because they are human and not a perfect person.

Yet not judging that person does not mean the Pope condones their actions in terms of Catholic teachings. That is a big misunderstanding. When he goes and says, " "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?"

This means that if a gay person wants to become Catholic then he has to do so with regards to catholic teaching meaning not perform the acts of a gay lifestyle that are in contradiction to church teaching. That doesn't mean they have to marry a woman. It probably means they have to abstain from sex. Just like straight people outside of marriage should abstain from sex.

In no way is the Pope saying that a gay lifestyle is not sinning. He's saying that if you are a Catholic, do not judge, do not hate the person. Be accepting of the person as a human being.

You can be accepting and love a person for who they are but not condone their lifestyle.

His opinions on marriage though has always been towards what the Catholic Church has always believed that it should be preserved as between a man and a woman.

Really the only big thing he's said that doesn't go well with the US Conservative Catholics is on Refugees, Immigration, and Climate Change.

I agree Scott, especially when you have County clerks claiming they can't issue marriage licenses due to the job being at conflict with their religious beliefs the Pope's position discredits them all.

It doesn't discredit her position. The Pope always been against gay marriage. He has stated that the opinion on Civil Unions could be different. Which is an interesting distinction he makes. In the USA the government still defines it as a marriage.

Now the different discussion is on if her doing her job violates her beliefs. I say it doesn't. She is not acting as member of the church. She is acting as a public employee. She is not a priest. As such signing those marriage licenses is not signing them as a representative of the church, but a representative of the government.

Also, as a government employee she needs to follow the first amendment herself. Meaning she can not bring Catholic Law into the Government workplace.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

What's the point of having any leader :)

His acceptance of alternate lifestyles means that you should not hate that person for the acts they do. He is very much in the mold of what Jesus did in terms of forgiveness, acceptance and not judging people. Jesus has denounced many sins and has told people what they should do and how to act. Yet when he meets a person who has done contrary to what he has said he has been accepting of them as a person because they are human and not a perfect person.

Yet not judging that person does not mean the Pope condones their actions in terms of Catholic teachings. That is a big misunderstanding. When he goes and says, ""If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?"

This means that if a gay person wants to become Catholic then he has to do so with regards to catholic teaching meaning not perform the acts of a gay lifestyle that are in contradiction to church teaching. That doesn't mean they have to marry a woman. It probably means they have to abstain from sex. Just like straight people outside of marriage should abstain from sex.

In no way is the Pope saying that a gay lifestyle is not sinning. He's saying that if you are a Catholic, do not judge, do not hate the person. Be accepting of the person as a human being.

You can be accepting and love a person for who they are but not condone their lifestyle.

His opinions on marriage though has always been towards what the Catholic Church has always believed that it should be preserved as between a man and a woman.

Really the only big thing he's said that doesn't go well with the US Conservative Catholics is on Refugees, Immigration, and Climate Change.

It doesn't discredit her position. The Pope always been against gay marriage. He has stated that the opinion on Civil Unions could be different. Which is an interesting distinction he makes. In the USA the government still defines it as a marriage.

Now the different discussion is on if her doing her job violates her beliefs. I say it doesn't. She is not acting as member of the church. She is acting as a public employee. She is not a priest. As such signing those marriage licenses is not signing them as a representative of the church, but a representative of the government.

Also, as a government employee she needs to follow the first amendment herself. Meaning she can not bring Catholic Law into the Government workplace.

:smartass:

Well stated.

I guess the Pope has had an effect.

Boehner just announced he is resigning from Congress at the end of October, one days after the Pope addresses Congress, and Boehner's audience with the Pope.

Perhaps, at 65 yrs old, he saw the futility of it all ... and was tired of dealing with his Party's radical right.  The Pope just clarified it.

Always thought he should have forged an alliance with moderate Dems and driven legislation through Congress instead of placating the extremes.

I guess the Pope has had an effect.

Boehner just announced he is resigning from Congress at the end of October, one days after the Pope addresses Congress, and Boehner's audience with the Pope.

Perhaps, at 65 yrs old, he saw the futility of it all ... and was tired of dealing with his Party's radical right.  The Pope just clarified it.

Always thought he should have forged an alliance with moderate Dems and driven legislation through Congress instead of placating the extremes.

I doubt this was caused by the Pope. You don't make this type of decision with out having some thought put into it. He probably has planned this departure from last year.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Climate change

Yep, I like the message.

It's about time.

Let's not forget climate change.

He could have gone easier on capitalism, which history has shown requires gentle regulation to make certain the system, like any system, is not abused.

He's an advocate of St. Francis. Very down to earth, and against greed and other associated "temptations" of capitalism.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I doubt this was caused by the Pope. You don't make this type of decision with out having some thought put into it. He probably has planned this departure from last year.

He's probably had this thought since July 2011.

It crystallized yesterday...

Note: This thread is 3112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!