IGNORED

Wait, what? They use Trackman in baseball?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Scanned through some tweets quickly and saw some pitchers know their spin rates. I don't watch baseball anymore. Is this a thing they broadcast? That would be really cool, seeing spin rates for curveballs and sliders. And lack of, for knuckleballers. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--the-next-baseball-revolution-is-here--and-spin-is-in-050433447-mlb.html [QUOTE]Certainly the forthcoming studies will try to determine not just the correlation but the potential causality. Spin is in, the sort of tool to be probed and dissected. And maybe it’s nothing. Maybe it’s just another number. This offseason, though, Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer, who owns a Trackman unit, worked diligently on a two-seam fastball this offseason that takes advantage of spin axis to defy physics. The result was palpable, and it reminded us that for all baseball knows, there’s still so very much to learn. The Statcast data can’t come soon enough.[/QUOTE]

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Scanned through some tweets quickly and saw some pitchers know their spin rates. I don't watch baseball anymore. Is this a thing they broadcast? That would be really cool, seeing spin rates for curveballs and sliders. And lack of, for knuckleballers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--the-next-baseball-revolution-is-here--and-spin-is-in-050433447-mlb.html

Quote:

Certainly the forthcoming studies will try to determine not just the correlation but the potential causality. Spin is in, the sort of tool to be probed and dissected. And maybe it’s nothing. Maybe it’s just another number.

This offseason, though, Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer, who owns a Trackman unit, worked diligently on a two-seam fastball this offseason that takes advantage of spin axis to defy physics. The result was palpable, and it reminded us that for all baseball knows, there’s still so very much to learn. The Statcast data can’t come soon enough.

You sound like my wife. Every time baseball is on she says, "Baseball is dying."

I can see why they use it. More actual real data versus some grizzled old pitching coach's opinion can really help.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Scanned through some tweets quickly and saw some pitchers know their spin rates. I don't watch baseball anymore. Is this a thing they broadcast? That would be really cool, seeing spin rates for curveballs and sliders. And lack of, for knuckleballers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--the-next-baseball-revolution-is-here--and-spin-is-in-050433447-mlb.html

Quote:

Certainly the forthcoming studies will try to determine not just the correlation but the potential causality. Spin is in, the sort of tool to be probed and dissected. And maybe it’s nothing. Maybe it’s just another number.

This offseason, though, Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer, who owns a Trackman unit, worked diligently on a two-seam fastball this offseason that takes advantage of spin axis to defy physics. The result was palpable, and it reminded us that for all baseball knows, there’s still so very much to learn. The Statcast data can’t come soon enough.

You sound like my wife. Every time baseball is on she says, "Baseball is dying."

I can see why they use it. More actual real data versus some grizzled old pitching coach's opinion can really help.

LOL. If someone asks me to play catch or hit them some pop-ups and grounders, I'll be there in a second. Still like BB, just rarely watch anymore. Dunno if it's dying, if the Apple TV MLB app is any indication, doing ok.

Would love to see spin rates melded in w/graphics on FOX or whatever channel. Like next to pitch speed. Would be interesting to see spin rates for split finger and other types of fastballs. Hell, it would be cool to see spin rates for tennis. If you've ever received a pro level slice or kick/topsin serve, it's insane how much spin there is.

Check this out. This is SO COOL!

https://trackmanbaseball.com/

Science ball

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It's a system called StatCast. They use it pretty extensively for pitching data. The spin data is particularly of interest, because it can give you an indication of how a pitcher throws a breaking pitch. They can even look at the data on days their curveball, for instance, isn't working well, and see if the axis tilt was bad or the spin rate was lower than usual. It can also be used for scouting purposes, as it gives an objective measurement.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It's a system called StatCast. They use it pretty extensively for pitching data. The spin data is particularly of interest, because it can give you an indication of how a pitcher throws a breaking pitch. They can even look at the data on days their curveball, for instance, isn't working well, and see if the axis tilt was bad or the spin rate was lower than usual. It can also be used for scouting purposes, as it gives an objective measurement.

Interesting. Do pitching coaches use high speed video on their delivery? I'm guessing this is an obvious yes.

Steve

Interesting. Do pitching coaches use high speed video on their delivery? I'm guessing this is an obvious yes.

Yes. For a long time they have.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I have 2 HS age sons who are in travel baseball programs, it is fair to say I am pretty deep into the baseball circuit (my HC has suffered accordingly) yes trackman is being used in baseball and not just at the MLB level. It is used all the way down into youth levels by Perfect Game and some others. It is used for many different types of pitching data, spin rate being among them but also for hitting. they are seeing launch angles, bat speed, exit velo etc for the hitter. The info is amazing.

There is also a relative new product in the last year or so called Zepp. it is also pretty cool. it is a small sensor that has a rubber mounting boot that goes on the knob of the bat. it shows bat speed, hand speed, swing plane, time from first movement to contact and more, it also records swings and has screen model you can develop. to some degree the info is awesome, to some degree is paralysis by analysis, I mean you have .3 seconds to recognize and make contact so much of it has to be natural. But there is a tremendous amount of info out there if you want to learn it.

One thing I have learned is many hardcore baseball people are nuts (including me if you ask certain people) they are will argue to the end of time over the smallest detail when it comes to the fundamentals...and then they will be certain that whatever they believe the best and only way to teach or do something. It is quite possibly the most set in stone group of people I have ever seen. Hitting in particular is a scary dangerous topic (religion is safer, it is much closer to discussing politics). I listen to people comment on what they perceive to be my sons swing, I just laugh because I teach him some things and we work on some things that just are flat against what they believe in, certainly against what they say but they don't know what they are seeing!!

some of the golf swing debates are pretty similar...but I don't want to go there.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 3135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!