IGNORED

What equipment changes did you make this year?

Sante TwoGloves
Note: This thread is 3084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went through a lot of club changes: 

Putter:

Old: :odyssey: White Ice #9

New: :touredge: Bazooka Geomax 05 35"

Wedges:

Old: :touredge: DG4 Superspin 52°, 58°

1st New: :touredge: Exotics Tour Proto v1.1 52°, 56°, 60° with DG Spinner shafts

Current: :touredge: Exotics CU AW and SW

Irons:

Old: :touredge: Exotics CNC Forged (3-PW)

1st New: :touredge: Exotics CU (4-PW with 5-PW in bag), KBS Tour Stiff

Current: :touredge: Exotics CU (4-PW) Dynalite 90 stiff

Hybrids: 

Old: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17° Matrix Ozik R-flex

Current: :touredge: Exotics XRail 3(20°), 4(23°) Graphite Design G-Series stiff.

Fairway wood:

Old: :touredge: Exotics XCG3 4-wood (16.5°) with Fujikura Motore Stiff

Current: :touredge: Exotics XRail 3-wood (15°) with Graphite Design G-Series stiff

Driver:

Old: :touredge: Exotics XCG3 9° with Fujikura Motore Stiff

New: :touredge: Exotics XRail 10.5° with Graphite Design G-Series Stiff

I am in the market for some XCG5, XCG6, or XCG7 irons and TGS wedges but I may do that over the winter.

Among other things I also changed balls... From ProV1x, to Bridgestone E6 to Srixon Soft Feel... I'm hitting it so much better this year it's scary to think where I could go with this improvement.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started playing golf again after a 20 year hiatus.  Dusted off the old stiff shafted irons and couldn't hit them anymore.  Bought an "old man's" set with all graphite shafts and a 4H and 3H.  The change in clubs made a huge difference.  I'm 30 or so yds. shorter now in my old age, but I'm hitting the ball much straighter.  Only about 5 strokes off of where I was scoring 25 years ago.

Do yourself a favor -- get clubs that fit your needs and go for accuracy over distance.

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

- Bought a 3 year old adjustable driver - love being able to minimize the shot shape I try to avoid.

- I have struggled with putting forever - finally started to gain confidence with an oversize center shaft putter first half of season.   Won closest to pin at an outing & the prize was a TM Big Fontana mallet putter - used that putter for a couple months & lackluster putting set back in.   Went back to my confidence center shaft putter & things are back on track ... wish I never quit using it.

- Brought a 64° wedge into the bag ... it's a get out of jail free card for thick rough greenside - more I use it, more I love it.   I struggle with opening up a wedge, so the 64° works awesome for me.    I use it more than my 4i it replaced ... so more often than not, I'm glad I made the change

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Not much, added a 5w to the bag and love it. Works well for the short par 4's at my home course. Unfortunately the rest of mys swing went to pot at the tail end of the summer so lots of work to do.

Rest of the bag is ok so cant see a reason to spend any more cash

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

My clubs won't do anything consistently until I take care of a backswing issue..

Everything remained the same except for Driver, Fairways, and Hybrids ... oh, and a better fitting putter.

Everything done is a better fit.

In driver and fairways:

Former Clubs: Callaway V Series

Current Clubs: Callaway GBB Series - less spin, more forgiveness.

Former Hybrids: Bobby Jones - changed only because stronger shaft needed

Current Hybrids: Callaway XR Series w Recoil 460

Former Putter: Edel Rogue

Current Putter for Life :-)): Edel e-1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

New driver for 2015!!! 

I put it in the bag for my last round of the year, and on my "home" course, I feel like I gained 5 to 10 yards overall. My accuracy was poor that day, but it wasn't the problem of the driver- was totally due to my swing issues. I'm looking forward to a strong 2016 if I can put in the effort to straighten out a few things I'm doing wrong. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I put a Winn Pro 1.18 thick grip on my Ping B60 putter; also went to a double-interlock grip - abandoning left hand low of about 10 years - and get better distance control on longer putts.

Traded my Adams V4 4.hybrid for a Cobra Fly.Z 4.H (60 gr. R-flex shaft)... Fly.Z has 75-gram A-flex shaft, club "drops into slot" nicely w/extra weight.

Played with new custom-fit Nike Vapor Speed irons from July to Sept. VS irons about 3/4 to 1" longer than most other irons. Wedges great / short irons so so / 4i-6i very hard to control. (VS headed to eBay, I guess)
Went back to my Callaway X20 Tours.  

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I went from 30 year old driver and woods to the Callaway X2 Hot adjustable driver (I put it at 11.5) and 3 wood and 5 wood.  I also got a 5h, no name.  I'm working on getting the X2 Hot hybrids and irons as well. 

The driver and woods have really helped my scores.

Changed to spikeless golf shoes for the 1st time.  It seems no one can make shoes that I can change spikes without damaging the spike holes.   What's up with that?   The last shoes I just dumped, spikes refused to come off.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I didn't change anything this year, but I will next spring. I'm getting the most forgiving, easiest to hit irons and driver that I can find. Lighter Reg shafts in them too.

Right now I have a Titleist driver and AP2 712 irons. I can hit them OK on a good day.

Last week I hit the Ping G30 sf tec driver and Gmax irons at Golfsmith. I couldn't believe how much easier they were to hit than my current setup. They are on my list for next spring!

On 11/6/2015, 9:59:15, rkim291968 said:

Changed to spikeless golf shoes for the 1st time.  It seems no one can make shoes that I can change spikes without damaging the spike holes.   What's up with that?   The last shoes I just dumped, spikes refused to come off.  

Really? I have not heard that complaint since they switched to soft spikes. Used to be a big problem back then. But when I  bought a new(steel) pair, I took the spikes out and put some type of lubricant on them and put the spikes back in the shoes. The steel back then would rust between the threads on the spikes and  inside of the  and fitting. It was almost impossible to get the spikes out without damaging the shoes. But with the sort spikes I thought that was no longer a problem. I know I just take out the old soft spikes and put in new ones and it is easy. I wear Foot Joy's and have for years so perhaps some brands still use steel in the parts that "screw" together to fit the spikes into the shoe. If so try vaseline or oil so as to keep the steel from rusting and basically freeze the spike in place. Not fun to try and get them out. 

Major changes this year. Since the start of the year, every club in the bag has changed. The wife got it started with a TaylorMade Ghost Tour DA 12 putter for my birthday.This replaced a 20 year old STX putter. In the spring I picked up a prisitne set of Titleist 712 AP2's, a Titliest 585 19* hybrid, and a new Vokey SM5  56* wedge. My previous irons were a set of  TaylorMade R7 Draw. After a few months with the AP2's I had my swing analyzed with the Mizuno Optimizer and switched out my shafts to Dynamic Gold X 100's. Huge difference. In September, I upgraded the top of my bag. I replaced my TaylorMade R7 driver and 3 wood (Christmas gifts from my wife 7  years ago) with R15's. Fantastic clubs. A Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme 5 wood replaced a 30 year old MacGregor Jack Nicholas club. The Callaway is long and easy to hit. I liked the 585 hybrid so much that I recently upgraded it to a Titliest 915H. I also am hitting a TaylorMade R15 24* Hybrid to possibly replace my 4 iron. Tough decision since I hit both clubs well. The only thing left to do is replace my 15 year old Titleist stand bag. Hopefully my wife will make that happen for my birthday this year. She's awesome and a decent golfer herself. Overall I am thrilled with these changes. I am hitting every club in the bag well. I never realized how important shaft selection is. Easily changing shafts was the most important change I made.

5 hours ago, shanksalot said:

Really? I have not heard that complaint since they switched to soft spikes. Used to be a big problem back then. But when I  bought a new(steel) pair, I took the spikes out and put some type of lubricant on them and put the spikes back in the shoes. The steel back then would rust between the threads on the spikes and  inside of the  and fitting. It was almost impossible to get the spikes out without damaging the shoes. But with the sort spikes I thought that was no longer a problem. I know I just take out the old soft spikes and put in new ones and it is easy. I wear Foot Joy's and have for years so perhaps some brands still use steel in the parts that "screw" together to fit the spikes into the shoe. If so try vaseline or oil so as to keep the steel from rusting and basically freeze the spike in place. Not fun to try and get them out. 

With today's soft spike shoes, I found the workmanship seems to be an issue with many.   With the last pair I had, the round plastic piece that holds the spike to the shoes wasn't glued on tight.   There was no way to unscrew the spikes b/c the holding piece kept turning with the spike. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I changed my irons this year. I bought some Adams xtds. I liked them when I tried them when they came out last year so I bid on a set on eBay this year and got them several hundred dollars cheaper. Glad I waited.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Lately have been gaming Bridgestone 330 balls and really like them.

Retired my old used Titleist 990s with regular shafts. In their place I bought some Mizuno Mp H4 X-stiff. Debating on actually swapping my 3h for a 5w, because the 3 iron goes nearly as far now due to lower loft and the fact that...well it's a hybrid too essentially. The x-stiff actually feels like a golf club, and not a whippy tree branch like the regs did.

Gave my dad my SLDR 430 10.5 Stiff which he wouldn't stop borrowing (and which I couldn't stop hitting OOB). Now I'm using a Ping Anser 9.5 X-stiff, and I'm just killing it off the tee most of the time.

Note: This thread is 3084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!