IGNORED

The Nine Shots

Sante TwoGloves
Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

just started reading Hank haney's book The Big Miss about his time coaching Tiger Woods and he mentions that Tiger goes through the progression of nine different ball flights with each club. What are the nine different shots? How many can you pull off and with which clubs?
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Ball Flight Laws

Ideally you want a shot that curves away from the path line towards the target.

Pull-Fade

Push-Draw

You can get away with a straight fade or draw as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Recently Tiger has added a few more shots:

the shank,

the chunk,

the topped 3-wood,

the skulled chip.

That makes 13 shots total.

Someone who is unquestionably one of the two greatest of all time deserves to be mocked, doesn't he? :doh:

What is the point of your post? It's not funny, so it can't be humour....... :hmm:

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I forget which tournament it was this year, but Golf Channel was showing Woods at the range with what looked to be a longer iron. They were tracing his shot trajectory and it was just amazing to me. He would hit a draw, a fade, lower and higher trajectories. Even though he was struggling during the tournament, during this practice session he was hitting the same spot over and over again with all these various shots.

Jon

Recently Tiger has added a few more shots: the shank, the chunk, the topped 3-wood, the skulled chip. That makes 13 shots total.

Cool. I got 4 down 9 to go. :-D

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

Someone who is unquestionably one of the two greatest of all time deserves to be mocked, doesn't he?

What is the point of your post? It's not funny, so it can't be humour.......

It's a little bit funny. Let's hope TIger doesn't subscribe to this forum.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

It's a little bit funny. Let's hope TIger doesn't subscribe to this forum.

Wouldn't that be great if he did? Wonder how much of the comments made here he agree would with.

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

And now the thread has gone OT.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws]http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws[/URL] [IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/b/imgs/playing_tips/nine_ball_flights.jpg[/IMG] Ideally you want a shot that curves away from the path line towards the target. Pull-Fade Push-Draw You can get away with a straight fade or draw as well.

I remember an interview where Tiger spoke about the 9 shots. They were low, mid and high trajectory draws, straights and fades. He could hit them with any club. Except the putter

• Administrator

Those aren't his nine shots.

His nine shots are: draw/fade/straight x high/medium/low.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Recently Tiger has added a few more shots: the shank, the chunk, the topped 3-wood, the skulled chip. That makes 13 shots total.

I think it's funny. I thought this thread might be about your trip to the bar last night.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I know Tiger's a bit of an exception in that even if he, like most tour pros, plays a single stock shot for most shots in a round, it seems like Tiger's stock shot has shifted around more than most player's, and like he's on the high end in terms of how often he mixes shape and trajectories within a round.

But regardless of whether you should be hitting different shapes and trajectories constantly within a round, wouldn't it be fun to stand over the ball and feel confident you could hit any one of those nine shot shapes, even if in reality, if you look at your numbers, you're more accurate with one or two of those?!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I know Tiger's a bit of an exception in that even if he, like most tour pros, plays a single stock shot for most shots in a round, it seems like Tiger's stock shot has shifted around more than most player's, and like he's on the high end in terms of how often he mixes shape and trajectories within a round.

But regardless of whether you should be hitting different shapes and trajectories constantly within a round, wouldn't it be fun to stand over the ball and feel confident you could hit any one of those nine shot shapes, even if in reality, if you look at your numbers, you're more accurate with one or two of those?!

When Woods was at his peak that is what he did. if the shot off the tee called for a fade he would hit it, draw same thing. When he was in trouble off the tee and needed to hit a low or high draw/fade he could hit it. Into the green if he had a pin left back on the green he could hit a draw into the pin and fade with a tucked right pin. The problem with Woods today is he now hits those shots when he doesn't want to. Too may double crosses. He no longer has control of his ball off the tee and sometimes off the fairway as well. We hacks just try to hit the ball somewhere in play so we can hit it again, and again, and again until hopefully it goes in the hole. .

Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!