IGNORED

Replacing my 3W & 5W with a 3H??

Elmer
Note: This thread is 3130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is the deal, I have been playing well lately mid to low 80's,

The last 2 rounds I shot I have not used my 3 wood once.  I tend to average 250 to 270 with my driver. If I used my 3 wood at all it is to replace my driver on tight or short holes. I have an old 2007 Taylormade burner and the club head is the size of a grapefruit. Maybe for this reason I can not hit my 3 wood off the fairway.

However there is usually no occasion for me to hit a driver and then 3 wood.

My 5 wood I also use as a driving wood. At my home course there are a few holes where 215 is a good place to be. I have grown to love my 5 wood and prefer it to my 3 wood.

However I find myself rarely hitting a Driver- 5 Wood.

Another problem neither my 3W or 5W are good out of the rough, so on the occasion where I duff a drive, I would rather hit 4 Hybrid out of the rough and get the ball out and down the fair way.

I got compliments this weekend on hitting my hybrid, and it got me to thinking about a 3 hybrid. The issue is a 3hybrid and 5 wood are the same loft. It seems pointless to carry both.

I am days away from dropping my 3 wood as I am only carrying it out of habit.

Is it reasonable to just carry driver-3H-4H?

My fear is to walk on to a course and find out I would need a 3 wood or 5 wood

or

My fear is that I will carry clubs that are too similar.

Since i am on a budget I am most likely trading in clubs for peanuts and buying last years model.

My club loft & distances are listed below:

3W (15)-225

5W (18)-215
4H (22)-205

5i  (26) 195

Any advice or recommendations?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the hybrid shaft is typically a couple of inches shorter than the wood -- so the wood will be longer and a generally higher flight.

I would suggest an easy 5 wood -- something like the Callaway XR or even XHot2 family that is on sale at callawaypreowned. The XHot has a bad stock shaft, but the XHot2 is better.

I tend not to like hybrids below 20 in loft, but if you are a big hitter, and it's the right hybrid, I still do not think you will get the distance of a properly fit 5 wood.

And if you are in the rough, dependent on depth, one may not want to use a big headed wood anyway - the more lofted hybrid also has less of a footprint.

Don't know if that helps, but it may give you more thoughts.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

or

This is what I do. Since going to that I have never felt I needed a fairway because the distances are so similar it's not worth worrying about. My best to worst distance with my hybrids and fairways has overlap. My decision was based on what type of club offers the most versatility for the course conditions I encounter most.

The only similar clubs I carry are a 4h and 4i and it's because I can't find the perfect 14th club and depending on the lie one might work better than the other.

Dave :-)

If you go the 3H route, and order one, you could go a 1/2 inch longer than standard to potentially get a little more distance as long as you do not mind a couple of more swingweight points -- of course in most retail shafts, the shafts are so light, the swingweights can be light -- just be aware of it, and one can always cut the shaft down from the butt  if that does not work.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Here is the deal, I have been playing well lately mid to low 80's,

The last 2 rounds I shot I have not used my 3 wood once.  I tend to average 250 to 270 with my driver. If I used my 3 wood at all it is to replace my driver on tight or short holes. I have an old 2007 Taylormade burner and the club head is the size of a grapefruit. Maybe for this reason I can not hit my 3 wood off the fairway.

However there is usually no occasion for me to hit a driver and then 3 wood.

My 5 wood I also use as a driving wood. At my home course there are a few holes where 215 is a good place to be. I have grown to love my 5 wood and prefer it to my 3 wood.

However I find myself rarely hitting a Driver- 5 Wood.

Another problem neither my 3W or 5W are good out of the rough, so on the occasion where I duff a drive, I would rather hit 4 Hybrid out of the rough and get the ball out and down the fair way.

I got compliments this weekend on hitting my hybrid, and it got me to thinking about a 3 hybrid. The issue is a 3hybrid and 5 wood are the same loft. It seems pointless to carry both.

I am days away from dropping my 3 wood as I am only carrying it out of habit.

or

Since i am on a budget I am most likely trading in clubs for peanuts and buying last years model.

My club loft & distances are listed below:

3W (15)-225

5W (18)-215

4H (22)-205

5i  (26) 195

Seems reasonable to just not put the 3W in the bag and carry 13 clubs, since 5W is your favorite club and you hit it about 215 on average.

The 3W is a very difficult club to reliably hit off the deck, and takes time to learn. I would recommend practicing with it on the range, then take it out of your bag when playing. You can just use your 5W for your par 5 approaches.

A 3H is almost the same club except you hit more down on it and it gets a higher launch.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I can hit the 3 wood off a tee. it gives me a good 225-230.

But off the deck it is useless.

which is probably not enough reason to keep it in the bag

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I can hit the 3 wood off a tee. it gives me a good 225-230.

But off the deck it is useless.

which is probably not enough reason to keep it in the bag

Yeah, that's a good reason to keep it. Just practice off the deck and play off the tee, I guess.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I would trash that 3w eventually and look for something off the tee and deck.

What would you recommend he use for the 230 yard range? Seems like learning to hit the 3W is not such a bad idea, right?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What would you recommend he use for the 230 yard range? Seems like learning to hit the 3W is not such a bad idea, right?

It's a what two to four times a round shot he faces, second shot on par 5's, and probably can't repeat with any degree of consistency. IMO not worth worrying about, play it smart and hit something shorter that's more reliable. I average 210-220 with a 3h and it gets me inside the 100 yard markers on every par 5 if I don't blow it. The longest at my home course is 566.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

It's a what two to four times a round shot he faces, second shot on par 5's, and probably can't repeat with any degree of consistency. IMO not worth worrying about, play it smart and hit something shorter that's more reliable. I average 210-220 with a 3h and it gets me inside the 100 yard markers on every par 5 if I don't blow it. The longest at my home course is 566.

Agreed that he's better off with a 3H off the deck, but he also mentioned layup tee shots to 230 yards. I just think that hitting the 3W off the deck is helpful to get more distance in the long run and not to abandon it forever. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Agreed that he's better off with a 3H off the deck, but he also mentioned layup tee shots to 230 yards. I just think that hitting the 3W off the deck is helpful to get more distance in the long run and not to abandon it forever. . .

I don't have an answer. If I had the ability to layup to 230 with any consistency I wouldn't be a 7 handicap. My 230 shot is everything from a perfect best of season freak 5i or a thinned hybrid to a half decent driver that doesn't having me throwing stuff. If getting no more than 230 is critical to the way I need to play a hole I hit a hybrid and hope it's good. I don't overthink it I play it safe.

Quote:

I don't have an answer. If I had the ability to layup to 230 with any consistency I wouldn't be a 7 handicap. My 230 shot is everything from a perfect best of season freak 5i or a thinned hybrid to a half decent driver that doesn't having me throwing stuff. If getting no more than 230 is critical to the way I need to play a hole I hit a hybrid and hope it's good. I don't overthink it I play it safe.

Based upon the trend I see here. . .I suppose hitting a 3W off the deck reliably 230 yards is more or less in the domain of low handicaps. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Based upon the trend I see here. . .I suppose hitting a 3W off the deck reliably 230 yards is more or less in the domain of low handicaps. . .

I don't know less about reliable than it's not a shot people should face frequently if they are playing tees appropriate to their skill. And they can get by with something safer and more consistent. IMO it's akin to your worst putt better than your best chip when close to the green line of thinking. If your mishit is minimized hitting a 3h it's a better plan than risking hitting a 3w that could travel 150 or 230 with all kinds of ugly in between. If it's a club being used for second shots on par 5's and better strategy on short par 4's giving up 20 or so yards should still get someone into short iron territory for the next shot.

Not really that big of a deal. You are comparing 10-15 yards of difference. One club is much more reliable than the other. Being 20 yards out versus 30 yards out is only 1/10th of a stroke difference if you happen to hit both clubs consistently to a playable position.

Not really. My dad is a 15 handicap and just stripes 3-woods off the deck. He's played enough golf where he relies on those 3-woods and hybrids really well.

It just depends on the golfer. I don't really like hitting my 3-wood off the deck. I can if I need to. I tend to just try to hit a bit of a punch shot with the 3-wood. I much prefer a hybrid over a 3-wood.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You could try FW's with smaller heads. I am fond of the TM R11 series which won't cost that much today. I imagine at least 100cc smaller than your Burner(s). I find these much easier to play from tee or turf.

Not much of a hybrid fan, so I'll suggest 7W. Perhaps a 3W for the tee and a 22* 7W for the fairway, rescue shots, and the like. I carried this set-up until deciding on a single 5W that I could play more than a few shots with - choke down, stingers, etc.

I see mention of the 230yd scenario. I'm thinking having 230 yards to go probably equates to having two more shots to get there...

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Quote:

Not really. My dad is a 15 handicap and just stripes 3-woods off the deck. He's played enough golf where he relies on those 3-woods and hybrids really well.

It just depends on the golfer. I don't really like hitting my 3-wood off the deck. I can if I need to. I tend to just try to hit a bit of a punch shot with the 3-wood. I much prefer a hybrid over a 3-wood.

Your dad is probably an exception due to his extensive experience. It is somewhat rare to see people striping their 3W off the deck on the driving range. It's more like watching a crap shoot. One or two good shots followed by two or more crappy ones each followed by a few expletives. I think more higher handicaps con themselves into thinking they can hit their 3W off the deck than not.

Quote:

Not really that big of a deal. You are comparing 10-15 yards of difference. One club is much more reliable than the other. Being 20 yards out versus 30 yards out is only 1/10th of a stroke difference if you happen to hit both clubs consistently to a playable position.

The OP asked about using the 3W off the tee. So, if I hit a hybrid off the tee it tends to carry and not run a lot, while a 3W will run a lot more. The carry is about 10-15 yards less than the 3W, but the total distance can be a lot more unless it's just the way I hit it and low handicaps can hit it better.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!