IGNORED

What course would you play for free the rest of your life?

jcjim
Note: This thread is 3115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tough to choose, it would be a tough call between.

Augusta National

Pinehurst #2

Cyprus Point

I have to go with Augusta National.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's actually a harder question than I thought it would be. Regardless of the opportunity, I'd probably still want to live here, so I'd opt for a top course/club in my area. Maybe Isleworth or Lake Nona. Then again, maybe just the nice local club where so many of my buddies are now members.... :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

While I can appreciate why there are people who are picking courses like Augusta National, I'd much rather it be a course close enough that I would be able to take advantage of the "free for life" and play it a lot. By a lot, I mean at least a couple times a month or weekly. However, to be honest, I don't know of any courses close to me that I'd choose.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Yeah, my first thought was Augusta...but I'm not good enough to even enjoy it, and it's far away.

Picking somewhere local that I could reasonably play ever week, it isn't much of a question - Oakmont FTW.

- John

Of the places I've never played (and never will) I'd choose Augusta National.  Of the places I've played, but would probably never live near enough to play every day, I'd choose the Old Course in St Andrews, and Royal Dornoch, both in Scotland.  For a course where I might eventually become a member, I'd say Pinehurst #2.  I know that members can't play #2 every day they choose, the resort rotates member play among the 9 courses, but I think I could play #2 pretty often without getting bored of it.

The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews, if I only played it once I think it would be a high that would last a lifetime

and since it would be free, I might even get to play it a couple of times

Play it once, and you'll never forget it.  But keep practicing, you'll need a handicap of 24 or better to get on the Old Course.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Of the places I've never played (and never will) I'd choose Augusta National.  Of the places I've played, but would probably never live near enough to play every day, I'd choose the Old Course in St Andrews, and Royal Dornoch, both in Scotland.  For a course where I might eventually become a member, I'd say Pinehurst #2.  I know that members can't play #2 every day they choose, the resort rotates member play among the 9 courses, but I think I could play #2 pretty often without getting bored of it.

Play it once, and you'll never forget it.  But keep practicing, you'll need a handicap of 24 or better to get on the Old Course.

Just one more reason to practice :smartass:

I would like to play Augusta more than any other course, but I live in Northern NJ and would choose the course I play on a regular basis which is in great shape, has great views, can beat me up, and feels like home.

I think I would still say Augusta. I am close enough to retirement that I could move there in a few years, or close to as my sis lives in Charleston.  I could probably manage to play TPC Southwind in Memphis a couple times a month though if that were the choice.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Does this include moving expenses and a new house? Or free travel expenses, too? No?

I could get on The Old Course with my current HC and shoot, I'd expect a 95 - 100 depending upon the wind and if I could stay out of the pot bunkers. But travel to Scotland is expensive and takes quite a while. Scottish Cuisine is an oxymoron. So I'd probably only be able to do this once. Lifetime.... free.... So this means something more local. Bandon Dunes came to mind, but that's a 6 hr drive each way, and unless free hotel expenses were included that's out.

Okay, that rules out a lot of places, because that means I have to be able to afford to get there. And as I'm not getting any younger it means it has to be riding cart friendly, so that leaves out Chambers Bay. TPC Snoqualmie Ridge is an hour drive and about 800 ft above sea level and they play the Boeing Classic there every year - it's been rated in the top 5 courses in WA and Fred Couples has walked the fairways; or The Home Course which is about a 20 minute drive, and they will be building a club house at some point which has been rated in the top 10 - granted it's not the most exciting course, but it's well maintained and has views to rival Chambers Bay.

So if I didn't have to pay anything like memberships, TPC Snoqualmie Ridge looks like the local winner.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Because I like to play golf a lot and live nowhere near any where famous, I'd pick a country club in my area (Dayton/Troy, OH). Free, of course, is the key. Having only played one private course, I'm just guessing here. I'd probably go with either NCR Country Club or Walnut Grove CC. NCR has two courses, but Walnut Grove is closer to work. I haven't heard glowing reports for Troy CC, so maybe not there even though it's closer to the house.

I took the original question to mean that one should assume that the selected course was across the street or otherwise easily accessible,  When we take the query as literally being given a fully paid membership forever BUT nothing else in one's life has changed, it gets more complicated.

My simplistic response is Pebble Beach.

Brian Kuehn

Pine Valley in New Jersey is universally rated the top course in the world. If they would move it from New Jersey, then I'd think about it. :-) My choice would bePebble, Cypress Point or Spyglass. I've never played any of them, but sure do look purdy.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!