IGNORED

Driver distance on draw vs. straight

Note: This thread is 6013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I was in the local Golfsmith today playing on the launch monitor and I noticed something very strange. My swing speed with a driver is pretty consistently 105 mph. I was hitting 8/10 mostly straight for about 220-230 carry, 250ish total distance. About 1/10 I would hit a draw for something closer to 250 carry /280 total. The launch monitor is telling me that the swing speed is the same in both instances.

I was playing around with a Callaway X-460 10 degree with a regular shaft.

I also noticed that in the last couple rounds on the golf course, I would also occasionally hit the "miracle shot" draw for 250 yards of carry (instead of a more typical 225). Any ideas on what I'm doing different on the draw shots?

Grom Stand Bag
G5 9* Driver Stiff
G5 3 & 5 Woods Stiff
G5 22* Hybrid
X-20 5-PW Irons X-Tour 50*-11 & 54*-13 Wedge G5i Mini-C PutterUp Next 58*-11 PM Grind

hard to put a finger on it exactly... the answer may potentially lie in where you end up hitting the ball.

Being a mid-high handicapper, you ball striking is probably not going to be as pure as lower handicap players, thus, you would probably missing the sweet spot more often than not. Hitting a straight shot should theoretically mean that no side spin is imparted on the ball, whereas a draw is hit with a mild degree of right to left rotation (right hander) and inevitably top spin as well.

Based purely of physics, if the ball were hit on the same spot on the club and one with imparted with draw and the other neutral, you would that that the straighter ball would carry further, but the draw ball should roll further (due to top spin upon hitting the ground). All things being equal (ie. same swing speed on both swings) and your ending up with and increase in carry and roll with a draw bias ball flight, then the only other variable would be ball speed (determined by amongst other things, how well you hit the ball out of the center of the club)...

I'm sure there could be other reasons but in my mind this would be the most logical...

What's in my bag:

Driver: r7 9.5 deg, Fujikura Speeder 757 S
3 wood: G5 13 deg, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, S
2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

Hmmm. Yeah hard to give a correct answer. BUT..... If it was the standard X460 and not the tour it does set up with a closed face.

Assuming you set it up how it "feels" like it should be set up (ground it at address) then the draws you were hitting were most likely caused by the slightly closed club face. Where as the straight shots were most likely caused by you having the club face square (open, when compared to the address position) at impact.

Golf is full of physics and it may have been because of many, many other reasons but this is just a thought.

Therefore if the club face is square (open) at address then the ball will launch on a higher angle, carry further but roll less. I'm pretty sure most manufacturers set the loft of their clubs to be correct when the club is grounded. With the Callaway Consistent Alignment Sole, makes sense to me that when grounded at address the club sets with the stated loft. I could be completely wrong.

Just my .02c

A draw for me always goes further. Driver and irons. When you draw the ball you have less tendency to cup your wrists at impact. Could be wrong but for me thats what I notice
IN THE BAG:

Driver- 907 D2 9.5 w/ Aldila "Proto By You" Stiff
3 Wood- 975 w/ Aldila NV
5 Wood- 975 w/ Aldila NVIrons- 806CB w/ Black shaftsWedges- Vokey 52*,56*,60*Putter- NewportBall- Pro V1

Note: This thread is 6013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!