IGNORED

Tom Watson turns down PGA Hall of Fame off over Bishop

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with Watson's decision to turn down the PGA's HOF offer?

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • Don't care

Watson is probably just mad he never won a PGA ;-)

Do you think Watson make the right call?

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/watson-turns-down-pga-hof-offer-over-bishops-ouster/

Quote:

Watson was recently offered induction by the PGA, but publicly declined in a texted statement to Golf World .

"While I was very flattered by PGA of America President [Derek] Sprague's honoring me to be inducted into PGA Hall of Fame," Watson wrote, "I couldn't accept in good conscience because of how the PGA mishandled the firing of my friend and immediate past president of the PGA, Ted Bishop."

Watson, an eight-time major champion who led the U.S. to a Ryder Cup victory in 1993, was Bishop's choice to lead the U.S. team at Gleneagles last year, which ended in a lopsided loss, a semi-mutiny led by Phil Mickelson , and ultimately the creation of the U.S. Ryder Cup Task Force.

Bishop was removed as PGA president weeks later when he responded to Ian Poulter's criticisms of 2008 European captain Nick Faldo on Twitter, with Bishop calling Poulter a "Lil' Girl." The PGA at the time said that its "board deemed the remarks to be inconsistent with the policies of the PGA."

In response to Watson, a PGA of America spokesperson told Golf World: "We have a great deal of respect for Tom Watson. He is a worthy and deserving Hall of Famer, and the door will always be open for him."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMHO, Bishop was too tight with Tom to name him captain of the RC. Should have had a committee handle it for recommendations.

I can't recall the details of his ouster over the "little girl", but if I remember, if Bishop had handled it better with the apology, he might have kept his job. But it was much pc ado over not much. Just an older guy using a phrase he learned as a kid.

A few years later, I'm sure both sides agree it was mishandled.

Watson can hold a grudge -- it's his right.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I voted  that he made the right decision, only because it was his to make. IMO HOFs are polluted to a point that they don't mean that much anymore. As for Tommy Watson's reasoning, I also thought Bishop got a raw deal over a simple remark that probably fit Poulter's actions since he was being kind of childish.

Then again, I am a big fan of Tommy Watson, and not so much of a Poulter fan. so I am biased  I suppose.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I disagree, because he has the credentials for the HOF ... I do not feel declining the HOF is the place to make his point. The HOF should be a place that in the future people could visit and learn more about this guy named Tom Watson. I think his decision is shortsighted.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

First of all, good for Watson for standing up for his friend. How many times do people take the easy way out or put up a token amount of resistance for someone else. As to the whole issue with Bishop being fired, I think he misspoke and in today's environment that made him a lightning rod for criticism. I think what he said was insensitive but I also noted that women who had worked with him supported him. People didn't pile on him, they supported him. My read is also that the PGA wasn't happy with him anyway so this was the excuse. So again, good for Watson for someone he thought was railroaded. It's unfortunate that any gaffe or mistake can take you down. I do think he shouldn't have said that, women get put down enough. However in a culture where there's too much rage over anything, I think he was railroaded. Same thing with the View btw. Stupid comment about nurses and there was an apology. Sponsors dropped them. Come on! If we can't give people a chance to apologize and change then the people with the rage against these people are no better.

—Adam

I disagree, because he has the credentials for the HOF ... I do not feel declining the HOF is the place to make his point. The HOF should be a place that in the future people could visit and learn more about this guy named Tom Watson.

well, technically they could put him in the hall of fame, even if he chooses not to acknowledge the honor... it would make for a rather awkward induction ceremony though when the inductee didn't show up...

Watson is in the World Golf HoF, this is a knock-off. Bishop is a tool, Poults is a tool so net wash on that issue. Watson stood up which is commendable.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Watson is in the World Golf HoF, this is a knock-off. Bishop is a tool, Poults is a tool so net wash on that issue. Watson stood up which is commendable.

Thanks for that clarification ... makes more sense now ...

• Upvote 1

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I voted "Don't Care"

I can understand Watson's loyalty to his friend, which is commendable. I also can understand the PGA's dismissal of Bishop over those comments. As the head of the PGA he should act in a manner that is above the antics of Ian Poulter. I am not sure if that was the last straw for him. I don't know Bishop's reputation as the head of the PGA. If it was just that, I would probably have not fired him.

I really can't agree with Watson or disagree with him on the issue. In the end I really don't care if he does or doesn't.

He is not in the PGA HOF

http://museum.pgalinks.com/index.cfm?page=memberprofiles

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Put me in the "Don't Care" camp. PGA Hall of Fame.....meh.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

He is not in the PGA HOF [URL=http://museum.pgalinks.com/index.cfm?page=memberprofiles]http://museum.pgalinks.com/index.cfm?page=memberprofiles[/URL]

Correct, my point was that he's in the REAL HoF, inducted in '88. The PGA HoF is insignificant.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Correct, my point was that he's in the REAL HoF, inducted in '88. The PGA HoF is insignificant.

I don't know it's actually the HOF of the organization he was apart of while playing golf. I think it holds some significance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't know it's actually the HOF of the organization he was apart of while playing golf. I think it holds some significance.

Sure, but relatively speaking it's not on the same level. Actually, I addressed my comment to isukgolf (forgot to quote him) as his concern was that Watson's achievements wouldn't be available for posterity. They most certainly will forever be chronicled by the World Golf Hall of Fame, which is a much more important distinction.

Also voted "Don't care".  Bishop should have never gotten into a social media battle with a pro golfer.

As for Watson, he's a loyal friend but at this point it's not his battle and he nor Bishop benefit from declining the induction.

Joe Paradiso

If Bishop was a good friend of mine I probably would have done the same thing, or brought it up in the acceptance speech how radiculous the whole twitter fiasco was. If someone called me "Lil girl" I would hope that I would have tough enough skin that to handle it. I guess some people have to run home and cry to their mommy. I don't like or dislike Bishop or Poulter but I despise knee jerk firing over a very weak offense. Good for Watson for standing up for a friend.

If Bishop was a good friend of mine I probably would have done the same thing, or brought it up in the acceptance speech how radiculous the whole twitter fiasco was.

If someone called me "Lil girl" I would hope that I would have tough enough skin that to handle it. I guess some people have to run home and cry to their mommy. I don't like or dislike Bishop or Poulter but I despise knee jerk firing over a very weak offense.

Good for Watson for standing up for a friend.

Not to rehash the entire incident but I think the PGA wanted Bishop out and used this indiscretion with Poulter to their advantage.  Poulter played Bishop perfectly which gave the PGA the justification they needed to remove him from his position.

Joe Paradiso

I voted agree. Always a fan of loyalty, even when its over something pointless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGoosen

If Bishop was a good friend of mine I probably would have done the same thing, or brought it up in the acceptance speech how radiculous the whole twitter fiasco was.

If someone called me "Lil girl" I would hope that I would have tough enough skin that to handle it. I guess some people have to run home and cry to their mommy. I don't like or dislike Bishop or Poulter but I despise knee jerk firing over a very weak offense.

Good for Watson for standing up for a friend.

Not to rehash the entire incident but I think the PGA wanted Bishop out and used this indiscretion with Poulter to their advantage.  Poulter played Bishop perfectly which gave the PGA the justification they needed to remove him from his position.

Are you saying Poulter is some sort of evil genius? I think you're giving him too much credit.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Are you saying Poulter is some sort of evil genius? I think you're giving him too much credit.

Not an evil genius, he baited Bishop and then when Bishop responded Poulter made sure to point out the inappropriateness of Bishop's comments given his position within the PGA.  Bishop made the first mistake by making a derogatory comment about a pro golfer on social media.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!