IGNORED

Gap wedge

dazza78
Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all I've been wondering if I need one. I've been using my sand wedge (and pitching) when around the green. I tend to find that when using the sand wedge onto the green I get it up but often hit it too cautiously landing short. What are the thoughts on gap wedges and any guidance on degree/bounce etc? Thanks

I don't use a GW around the green (within 20-30 yards), between the SW, LW & Putter... I feel I have almost every shot covered. The GW is more important on full shots or longer pitch shots. (Then again, it could vary person to person). The important thing to keep in mind when choosing one, is that it splits the distance gap between your SW and PW (I.e. Why they call it a gap wedge). The only way to do that is to hit the range or a launch monitor and find out what fits best. As far as bounce, you don't really need a lot of bounce with a GW. I think around 6 or 8 would be typical.

Hi all I've been wondering if I need one. I've been using my sand wedge (and pitching) when around the green. I tend to find that when using the sand wedge onto the green I get it up but often hit it too cautiously landing short.

What are the thoughts on gap wedges and any guidance on degree/bounce etc?

Thanks

Most pitching wedges are 46* - 48* and most sand wedges are 56* so that leave a pretty big gap - thus the name.

Most SGI / GI sets offer a matching gap wedge so I'd suggest that as my first option.  If they don't or you want something that is more like your pitching wedge you'd be okay with a 51* or 52* gap wedge.  I use my gap wedge on full swings so I prefer less bounce, around 8*- 9*.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
As far as bounce, you don't really need a lot of bounce with a GW. I think around 6 or 8 would be typical.

I disagree, but then again I helped name the PING Glide wedges and am a huge fan of bounce.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Whether you need a gap wedge depends on whether you have a gap that needs filling. My PW is 45° and goes 127ish. My SW is 56° and goes 105ish, (a bit less lately, grr). I got a GW that is 52° and goes 115ish. It fills my gap perfectly. It also serves as my go to club for chipping and pitching (though my higher bounce SW has creeped in because of its forgiveness). Figure out whether you have a yardage gap to fill and find something that fills it. The exact numbers aren't that important. A pure blade GW might go less far than a similarly lofted wedge that has a big cavity. The cavity wedge will, often, be tougher to open up and manipulate. Do you do that? Might not be an issue. I like to open my wedges often, so I'll never play a non-bladed wedge, or at least not a big chunky one. Costs me a bit of forgiveness in exchange for versatility and general visual appeal that makes me happy.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I disagree, but then again I helped name the PING Glide wedges and am a huge fan of bounce.

What would be the purpose of "more" bounce on a gap wedge? It makes sense to me out of sand, but not sure I understand the benefit otherwise

I don't use a GW around the green (within 20-30 yards), between the SW, LW & Putter... I feel I have almost every shot covered.

The GW is more important on full shots or longer pitch shots. (Then again, it could vary person to person). The important thing to keep in mind when choosing one, is that it splits the distance gap between your SW and PW (I.e. Why they call it a gap wedge). The only way to do that is to hit the range or a launch monitor and find out what fits best.

As far as bounce, you don't really need a lot of bounce with a GW. I think around 6 or 8 would be typical.

I totally agree with the 1st two paragraphs.  Some people use the GW/AW or whatever term you want to call it, around the green.  I use it for full shots only and I would be in trouble without it.  My PW goes 125-130 and my SW goes 95-100.  I really need my GW/AW for the 110-115 shot.

I can't stand the marketing campaign trying to "encourage" golfers to buy 52-56-60 degree wedges.  I doubt enough double digit handicap players would benefit from clubs with that small a difference b/w lofts.  The golfer spends ~ 360$ (120$ per wedge) and then he is still left with a huge gap b/w his PW loft (mine is 45 degrees) and the 52 degree wedge.  I guess if you have an old set of irons the PW might be 48 degrees???

Chalk it up to personal preference but I use the GW/AW that comes with my iron set.

Mine: PW-45', GW/AW-50', SW-bent to 55', LW-60'

As far as bounce my GW/AW has 11 degrees of bounce.  I prefer a mid-range of bounce with wedges.  I am a lot more picky about the bounce in my SW (12') and LW (10') since those are the only clubs I use inside 100 yards.

iacas would probably be better with thoughts on bounce

• Administrator

What would be the purpose of "more" bounce on a gap wedge? It makes sense to me out of sand, but not sure I understand the benefit otherwise

Answered here I think:

Bounce = glide, and glide = forgiveness.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My wedge set-up is: 47° PW (125 yds), 51° GW (115 yds), 55° SW (100 yds), and 60° LW (85 yds). So, I'd be lost without the gap. I never use it around the green, but my buddy uses one almost exclusively so it can be helpful there as well. Highly recommend adding one. I'm partial to my set-up or something close but I'm not sure what your overall set looks like.
  • Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Thanks for your input everybody! I will work on my distances. I guess a bit of research into the degree of my SW and PW will be required. Both of which are Nike vapor speed. Edit:- Sold Individually: #3 Iron - 19° #4 Iron - 21° #5 Iron - 24° #6 Iron - 28° #7 Iron - 32° #8 Iron - 36° #9 Iron - 40° Pitching Wedge - 44° Approach Wedge - 49° Sand Wedge - 54°

If you play soft courses the bounce will improve turf interaction. Also depending on your style of strike, picking vs really hammering down that can change the feel.

Thanks for your input everybody! I will work on my distances. I guess a bit of research into the degree of my SW and PW will be required. Both of which are Nike vapor speed. Edit:- Sold Individually: #3 Iron - 19° #4 Iron - 21° #5 Iron - 24° #6 Iron - 28° #7 Iron - 32° #8 Iron - 36° #9 Iron - 40° Pitching Wedge - 44° Approach Wedge - 49° Sand Wedge - 54°

I think something super important is for you to decide on a short game style that you like. Are you a feel or a mechanical player. Feel players often use fewer clubs to execute more shots. Mechanical players use the same swing and the lofts and bounce angles to achieve the desired effect. You'll learn your style with lots of practice. IMHO you need to combine both.

PW-  46*
SW-  54*

That's a big gap.

GW-  50*

Ahh, that works, now I have a scoring club for every distance.

My thoughts are yes, if your clubs have a gap in the short irons, then get a gap wedge.

It may be worth starting with consideration of the AW you listed above (49*) that is specifically made as part if the Vapor Speed line that you are currently playing. That doesn't mean don't consider other options... But, there is already an AW specifically designed to work within that line of irons.

More 'wedge thoughts' to muddy your waters.

About 15 years ago, I went to a golf academy and a teaching pro worked with me and three friends during a 3-day workshop.  When we got to the short game portion of his instruction, he said something that made a lot of sense.  His words of wisdom to us was find a good sand wedge that you feel comfortable with, learn all the shots with it and use it all the time.  Right, wrong or upside down, his words stuck with me and I use one wedge for most shots around the green.  It's a Titleist Vokey, 58 degrees, 11 degrees bounce and an 'M' grind.  Very forgiving but definitely hits all the shots.

The rest of the wedges.  My TM wedge lofts are 45 (PW) and 50 (AW or Gap Wedge, if you will).  I also carry a Titleist Vokey 54 degree with 11 degree bounce in the same M grinds as my go-to 58* wedge.  Why do I carry 4 wedges?  Mostly so I can use the same swing from 105, 95, 85 and 75 yards with each wedge.  Inside 150 and around the greens is the only consistently reliable part of my game.  Having the yardages dialed in on the wedges has made it even better.

Final thought for the OP:  The reason you leave many of your around the green wedge shots short is because you're not trusting the club's loft, the grooves and the golf ball enough to throw the ball close enough to the hole.  Trust me, the ball will stop!  My final swing thought on every chip, pitch, flop, whatever is 'get the ball ALL the way to the hole!'  When you have a good wedge with good grooves and play a Titleist ProV1 golf ball, it WILL stop right next to the hole.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!