IGNORED

Do you carry the Rules of Golf with you when you play?

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you have the Rules with you on the course?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have the Rules with you on the course?

• Yes, the app
    • No

Its a simple question.  A great deal of what I know about the rules has been learned by looking up the answers when the question arises.  I've been a USGA member for 20 years or more, and when the fine people there send me a new rule book every spring, it goes directly in my bag.  If you're more electronics-friendly than I am, I know you can get the rules and decisions on an app for your phone.  So do you have the Rules with you when you play?  Do you look up rulings when a question comes up?

I want to be clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone stop play to look up a rule.  Unless its a tournament, I try to make my best judgement, and then look up the rule while I'm walking, or sitting in the cart on the next tee.  Please keep this thread about the rules, and not about pace of play, there are more than enough threads there.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, but I probably should :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Its a simple question.  A great deal of what I know about the rules has been learned by looking up the answers when the question arises.  I've been a USGA member for 20 years or more, and when the fine people there send me a new rule book every spring, it goes directly in my bag.  If you're more electronics-friendly than I am, I know you can get the rules and decisions on an app for your phone.  So do you have the Rules with you when you play?  Do you look up rulings when a question comes up?   I want to be clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone stop play to look up a rule.  Unless its a tournament, I try to make my best judgement, and then look up the rule while I'm walking, or sitting in the cart on the next tee.  Please keep this thread about the rules, and not about pace of play, there are more than enough threads there.

Technically I have the app with me wherever I go because it's on my phone but I've never used it because the decisions are a premium add on, and it's frankly easier to just google it and get the rule and decisions that way instead of flipping through the app. Truth be told, I've never felt compelled to look up a rule on the course. I haven't gotten into any situations. Only time I had an issue was when a guy I was paired with one day told me to be careful because bringing the rake with me into a bunker was a penalty (nope) and then when I asked him whether he wanted me to pull or attend the flag for his off-green putt and he told me you could only pull it when the ball was on the green (nope). I'm not in the convincing people they're wrong business when it doesn't affect me on the golf course. I save that for the Internet, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Have a pocket size rule book in the bag. Had to use it a couple of times in comes this year. Just use it to look up rules when going between shots. Not holding up play in anyway, we have just kept a track of the shots played and then adjust score when finding the ruling.

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

Both app and book.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have an out of date pocket size book I keep in the bag. I should update it I suppose. I don't have any recollection the last time I used it for needed info to play on.  I know enough of the basic stuff to get in 18 holes without needing the book..

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

This is a genius product and is available from the USGA shop:

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

I keep one around for competition play when I need to exploit something.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I have both the booklet "Common Golf Rules" shown above, which my Associate Club provided at the start of the season (last year?), and the app on my phone, including the in-app purchase for the Decisions.  So, I have the quick-reference thing with the pictures and all, as well as the "bible", just in case.  But I don't recall using either one of them recently. I did use the booklet once to show a fellow competitor that he was wrong in his understanding of his options to deal with a ball in a water hazard (yellow).

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I carry the book.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I use the App since I can expand the text and make it easier to read, the rules book lettering is too small and I can't read it without a magnifying glass or reading glasses (sucks getting old).

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator

I usually have both. Sometimes when I switch bags my book is left in the old bag, but… then I have the app with the purchased Decisions too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have a pocket size copy of the R&A; rulebook in my bag that i didnt even know id put there!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I always carry the latest version of the book with me in my bag. It's very helpful in tournaments not just for me, but for my playing partners as well who - inevitably - never have one of their own.

Its a simple question.  A great deal of what I know about the rules has been learned by looking up the answers when the question arises.  I've been a USGA member for 20 years or more, and when the fine people there send me a new rule book every spring, it goes directly in my bag.  If you're more electronics-friendly than I am, I know you can get the rules and decisions on an app for your phone.  So do you have the Rules with you when you play?  Do you look up rulings when a question comes up?

I want to be clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone stop play to look up a rule.  Unless its a tournament, I try to make my best judgement, and then look up the rule while I'm walking, or sitting in the cart on the next tee.  Please keep this thread about the rules, and not about pace of play, there are more than enough threads there.

I personally do not play by the book unless there is money involved or unless I am out there playing in a tournament. Most of the time I play with friends or family casually and the USGA Rule book stays in my bag.

What's in the bag?
2 Iron, 3 Iron, 4 Iron, 5 Iron, 6 Iron, 7 Iron, 8 Iron, 9 Iron, PW, GW, 3 Wood, 5 Wood, Putter
Titleist Irons, Callaway Woods and a Jack Nicklaus putter. Cigars and a case of Stella.

I have both the book and the app.  I am on the Rules Committee for the tournament league I play in.  I learned a long time ago to never render a ruling without having the rule in question at my fingertips so I can present it to whomever is asking for a ruling.

I also play in a fair number of tournaments outside of my league and too often I run into someone who wants to question something I have done or tell me I have done something wrong.  Latest one was "you cannot set your putter down in front of the ball as you are lining it up".

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!