IGNORED

Paralyzing fear!!!

stealthhwk
Note:Β This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Everytime I play, im super tense, cant seem to relax my body or my mind. Everyone says tension kills the golf swing. I wonder if my swing is better than I think and its the mental part thats killing me? Any thoughts or advice?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing you might try is to play some music or have a light conversation with your playing partners as you go around the course. Anything to distract yourself while still allowing you to focus when you have to hit.

Maybe start at the 19th hole instead of #1. Chill out with a beverage or two, and get relaxed. Always tell yourself that you are not the worst golfer on the course that day. You are out there to have fun, and unless something important is on the line, even bad shots can be fun.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Maybe start at the 19th hole instead of #1. Chill out with a beverage or two, and get relaxed. Always tell yourself that you are not the worst golfer on the course that day. You are out there to have fun, and unless something important is on the line, even bad shots can be fun.

Solid advice. A great buddy of mine starts shooting like two or three over par after hes had his rum at the turn. Maybe theres something to that.

Vast quantities of alcohol is always the answer.

+1

• Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Beer helps. You can also look into beta blockers. I used them the first few times I played out in a band. Really help relieve physical symptoms of anxiety. Also use them when doing long range shooting to keep my hands more steady.

Driver: NikeΒ VRS Covert 2.0
3W: Β NikeΒ VRS Covert
3H: Β NikeΒ VRS Covert 2.0
4H: Β NikeΒ VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW: Β NikeΒ  VRS-X
SW: Β NikeΒ VRS Covert
LW: Β NikeΒ VRS X3X 60*
Putter: Β NikeΒ Method MC-3i

One thing you might try is to play some music or have a light conversation with your playing partners as you go around the course. Anything to distract yourself while still allowing you to focus when you have to hit.

Ive been accused of trying to hard before, and several weeks ago when I had my best 9 holes in history I was highly distracted cus I was trying give my buddy a hard time. I think ill add a small amount of distraction to my rounds! Thanks! Insightful stuff

This is a big issue for me. Even after playing a ton of rounds over the last few years, I get nervous in situations for no good reason. On the rare occasion where I can let it go, I tend to play so much better. It's as if the stuff my 10-cent brain is worrying about takes away from my ability to swing a club properly.

It seems like getting out of my own way. I'm just not sure how to do it.

Β 

Edited by mcanadiens

Everytime I play, im super tense, cant seem to relax my body or my mind. Everyone says tension kills the golf swing. I wonder if my swing is better than I think and its the mental part thats killing me? Any thoughts or advice?

This is a big issue for me. Even after playing a ton of rounds over the last few years, I get nervous in situations for no good reason. On the rare occasion where I can let it go, I tend to play so much better. It's as if the stuff my 10-cent brain is worrying about takes away from my ability to swing a club properly.

It seems like getting out of my own way. I'm just not sure how to do it.

Β 

When I first started playing I went through the same ordeal. I would get paralyzed with fear on the tee, or standing over a short. This was because I was consumed with fear with hitting another bad shot,Β especiallyΒ in frontΒ of others.

However 2 things happened

1- I realized Golf is just a silly game and the result of this game are meaningless to life off the course ( I would mumble to myself before a shot "there is no spoon". If you know the reference, you know what I was going for. Otherwise I used the old line from meatballs "it just doesnt matter")

2- I got better. I may not hit the shot I intend, but as long as the ball is moving forward that is something I can work with.

Still to this day I hum a tune as I am playing and walking. I find that keeps me at peace. Some like the opening few bars of Kind Of Blue. Keeps a nice tempo and it swings and keeps me loose.

Also a nice pale ale helps!

Best of luck!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey Β Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Β 

When I first started playing I went through the same ordeal. I would get paralyzed with fear on the tee, or standing over a short. This was because I was consumed with fear with hitting another bad shot,Β especiallyΒ in frontΒ of others.

However 2 things happened

1- I realized Golf is just a silly game and the result of this game are meaningless to life off the course ( I would mumble to myself before a shot "there is no spoon". If you know the reference, you know what I was going for. Otherwise I used the old line from meatballs "it just doesnt matter")

2- I got better. I may not hit the shot I intend, but as long as the ball is moving forward that is something I can work with.

Still to this day I hum a tune as I am playing and walking. I find that keeps me at peace. Some like the opening few bars of Kind Of Blue. Keeps a nice tempo and it swings and keeps me loose.

Also a nice pale ale helps!

Best of luck!

Thanks.

I do tell myself variants on your No. 1. Once in a while I even listen to myself. Too often I don't.Β 

No question that getting better helps. The only problem is that my expectation levels rise just as fast or faster. Then I have to go back to No. 1.

A nice pale ale would be a good change of pace. Not so sure that the fabulous Kittyhawk GC offers them. Good old Yuengling Lager is top shelf there.

Β 

This used to happen to me a lot, but the more I played the less it happened to the point where I've played so much it hardly ever happens anymore. Having music playing defiantly helps me get out of my own head about shots, and I find that if you have to wait try to not be standing over or taking countless practice swings as that will just get me amped up a little, I'll just have my club in hand and sit comfortablyΒ in the cart till its time then go through my normal pre-shot routine (line up, 1 practice swing, and go). That way you don't give yourself enough time to start worrying or second guessing the shot.

I started quoting Tin Cup and Caddyshack lines to myself and it helped me relax...my playing partners think I'm a goof, but oh well...my scores have improved the more I get out of my head and just let that grooved swing do it's work...

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with a few beers to lubricate the muscles. Β We used to drink a few before playing in pool league. Β In general we found that if you drank more than 3 beers it was bad, if you drank less it wasn't that good. Β Just enough beer has a way of loosening you up. Β Not advocating drinking.

Like the jazz reference, will have to try that some time. Β Benny Goodman's instrumental version ofΒ Moonglow would probably be a good pace as well.

Note:Β This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!