IGNORED

Paralyzing fear!!!

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Depending on the first tee and the hazards, I get really tense on the first tee ... once off the first tee I am seem to be OK.  In the early days even a tight house lined fairway struck fear into me ... and usually I managed to nail a roof.  

The video on this site on how to stop slicing cured that fear for me ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lots of driving today, so no adult beverages, but tried some conversation, some jazz turned down low and a cigar and WOW!!!! The tension and fear is killing my game. I putted terribly and shot 7 strokes lower than my last two outtings. TENSION REALLY DOES KILL GOLF SWINGS!!

I started quoting Tin Cup and Caddyshack lines to myself and it helped me relax...my playing partners think I'm a goof, but oh well...my scores have improved the more I get out of my head and just let that grooved swing do it's work...

I use the line Costner quoted in Bull Durham.

"Camon meat,get out of your head"

This is a big problem for me.  I can get completely numb headed after a couple of bad holes and it can last all day.  Usually I revert back to all of the things that I've been working to fix in practice but due to anxiety don't have the mental capacity to bring those things into my game on the course.  During my first go around with Golf I'd write 3-5 Key to me points that I'd found to help in practice on the underside of the bill of my cap.  Things like where to set my backswing or to not lock my right leg on my take away.  Being able to recall and concentrate on just a few points and hit a decent shot or two seemed to bring me out of it and change the tone for the rest of the round.  

I find as I have a real good round say 3 or 4 over through 15 going I definitely tense up and wind up going 2 or 3 over for the remaining holes,  but I figure the more often I get in this position I think finishing will get more easy since I'll have more confidence by being in this situation more. We all have certain scores we strive for relating to our playing level a 6 handicap like me always strives to break 80 everytime I tee it up especially on tougher courses rated over 72 and sloping 130+.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

As a relatively new player, my wife had similar paralyzing fears when she first started playing.  Here are a few:

1.  She preferred to ride along with me on hole #1, then begin her round at #2 tee box. Only if there was absolutely nobody within her view would she tee off on #1.

2. She had this impression that all golfers, except her of course, were similar in skill level to those we see on TV.  She was a big golf watcher and has gone with me to WGC at Firestone several times as well.  Took about 3 years of me stopping her on the course to watch other players with much less fortunate swings than hers.

3. She literally freaked out on her first round of golf on a course with houses/condos lining the fairways.  "HOUSES??!!! YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HOUSES ON GOLF COURSES!!!"  As luck would have it, I wasn't paying attention when she air mailed a green from inside 100 yards with her 7-wood!  Ball cleared the green, the street and came to rest in the front yard of a homeowner who happened to be in the driveway washing his car!

4. During her 5th year of playing was the first time she agreed to be paired up with anybody other than me.  From the forward tees, she can bomb 'em way past me on occasion.  She can bomb 'em past most guys when the forward tees provide her with a reasonable advantage.  Finally, some confidence after 5 years of playing the game.

5.  She broke 100 for the first time this year.  This is her 7th season playing.  She counts 'em all, thoroughly enjoys the game and swears like a sailor at just the right time.

So there you have it.  A woman who began golfing later in life, playing in a male-dominated activity and enjoying it to the fullest ... most of the time!

And just remember, golf is supposed to be FUN!!!  Enjoy the time out there.

Dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!