IGNORED

My Swing (Joelamite)

Joelamite
Note: This thread is 3121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 45 for 9 holes - 105 for 18 holes

My typical ball flight is: Unpredictable

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Not hitting the ball first (irons/wedges)

Videos:

First - 7 Iron which I tend to hit pretty well when I make contact with the little ball before the big ball - after yesterday's 9 hole round my partner suggested standing closer to the ball, and I can see when I look at these swings my arms aren't "hanging down" and I'm reaching for the ball.

Second - Driver which before this video I was having a horrible time with a hard slice right off the tee - usually landed farther right than ahead.  Almost immediately before filming these swings I came across the 5SK's and really tried to keep my head still.  It resulted in a much straighter, longer drive, but I'm still having issues getting my club face in the right position before impact.

Thanks in advance for any and all critiques and advice.

A good place to start for you would be the address position. You set up with the spine leaning left and the shoulders too level. The green line should be leaning in the opposite direction.

Because of this you wind up leaning in the wrong direction at the top off the backswing as well which is probably why you reverse pivot and fall backwards in the downswing.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Hit the range today - would rather shoot a round, and I still might if I can find a partner. 

Worked on standing closer to the ball with my irons/wedges, as well as the tilt of my upper body at address as per @SavvySwede. The irons felt and looked really good once I got the first couple shanks out of the way.  Consistently hitting them straight, and really consistent distance-wise (nice tight grouping for each club).

My driver continues to be a source of frustration - today I was working on where my arms and left wrist end up as I complete the backswing, and keeping the head in position throughout the entire swing.  Still have a tendency to slice, but it's not nearly as bad as it was.  I feel it is just a matter of finding the right rhythm of bringing my right wrist over my left, because when I focus on that I get more of a slight pull slice or straight down the middle..   

Edited by Joelamite

So, after reading and re-reading this article - http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws - I'm thinking my driver issues stem less from what my arms and wrists are doing, and more from what my swing path is doing. 

Now I need to track down some drills to help me learn how to swing more out to in...

(edited)

Here are the videos from the first post that quit working. 

7 iron 

Driver

Wrong link pasted,  here is the driver video:

M3Ju9DFOjCA

Insert media is buggy on Chrome mobile.

Another try:

Edited by Joelamite

Not sure what is happening,  I am copying and pasting the right link, and the right video shows before I submit it, and then it changes after posting. 

Driver

Agree with @SavvySwede's post. Recommend checking out these threads.

- More axis tilt at address (bump the hips forward).

- Turn the hips in place.

How to Make a Centered Hip Turn

How to Hit a Driver (Hit it Further and Stop Slicing!)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!