IGNORED

My Swing (Mike Boatright)

Mike Boatright
Note: This thread is 2931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks bud There have been a few problem members giving me beef on this forum it's been taken care of though. I really appreciate the feed back actually this helps a lot. So you say the x factor is a fad or not true? I could see that with Ricky Fowler he is like gumby and just goes after it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Boatright

Great swing but i'm not 6 feet and Jason day my back could deal with that strain at impact. I love watching his swing though wish I could do that.

No, Mike, you don't get it ... again. lol.

I made 2-3 observations about his swing that you might try ... only if you want.

Look at his right foot, and look at your right foot through the swing. Even though he looks to get on the right toe early instead of rolling the instep.

Look at his hips opening ... look at yours.

You lift your arms ... don't.

The post above where you imply that everyone is wrong because this guy is swinging for the fences ---- that guy is swinging for the fences! Some people have talent and can keep it in play. Some people don't have talent but are gorillas who can't keep it in play. Which are you?

Quote:

Actually im a firm believer of body type favor-ability an swing emulation. I won't copy Jason dufners swing because he is short and pudgy a bitt just like I won't copy Jason day's technique because he is taller with long legs. I will however copy Jonathan byrd or sergio a bit.

''Mike you don't get it again lol...''' People on this forum are kinda jerks knowledgeable about golf but jerks.

Oh man this is funny-You want instruction specific to your body type but it's fine for you to post general videos in people's swing threads telling them to just copy Jordan Spieth.

More learning, less telling Mike.

Quote:

Actually im a firm believer of body type favor-ability an swing emulation. I won't copy Jason dufners swing because he is short and pudgy a bitt just like I won't copy Jason day's technique because he is taller with long legs. I will however copy Jonathan byrd or sergio a bit.

''Mike you don't get it again lol...''' People on this forum are kinda jerks knowledgeable about golf but jerks.

You're really up to date, Mike

Folks. Please refrain from being snarky and condescending in someones swing thread. These threads are ONLY about helping forum members improve regardless of conversations in other threads. Be respectful or you will get restricted from the thread.

• Upvote 4

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks bud There have been a few problem members giving me beef on this forum it's been taken care of though. I really appreciate the feed back actually this helps a lot. So you say the x factor is a fad or not true? I could see that with Ricky Fowler he is like gumby and just goes after it.

The rule of thumb, I believe, is knees turn about 23*, hips 45* and shoulder turn 90* on the way back.

I'm really liking this depiction here regardless of my arm, swing and a little movement what can I do to have my chest more towards the target? I see this as the the toe hook problem I have followed by weak misses straight and to the right. I think the ability to rotate though is important are you saying this is the direct result of over body rotation on the back swing if so how can I fix this without having a swing that's short and to tight?

I've been working on this exact thing myself, where I'm not making a great turn around the spine but lifting up a bit as I swing (which can further hurt the lower back).  I've been doing a drill where I stand with my butt against a door junction and make a swing (no club), while insuring that I feel my butt brushing the junction on the downswing.  I personally think, push the left butt cheek back as I swing.  It'll help with making a better turn around the spine.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I was hitting it well misses high and to the right or high and straight. Good shots are high and low draws the ball is going about 285+

I over rotate by nature I can's stop this I have good clubhead speed at 109 so what can I do to keep this speed with a better tour move than what i'm doing? I'm looking for some ideas thanks. 

I over rotate by nature I can's stop this I have good clubhead speed at 109 so what can I do to keep this speed with a better tour move than what i'm doing? I'm looking for some ideas thanks. 

You can still get distance and not over rotate. In some cases turning too much can cause a loss of speed because you are overextending your muscles which makes it hard for them to work properly. 

You could always work on keeping your heady steadier and not standing up in the downswing. 

You take the club back well. When you over swinging you actually lean away from the ball. From there you look like you tilt away from the target and your hips go towards the ball a tad. 

Try to get your left hip to stay back away from the ball more. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'd disagree that you over-rotate (assuming you mean downswing). You level out your inclination from A4-4.5. That can make it harder for the arms to fire down to the ball and harder for you to open the torso, leading you to have to make compensations to get the clubhead to the ball.

Agree with @saevel25, work on keeping those shoulder and hip "slants" from the top of the backswing to the early part of the downswing.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

(edited)

Well what do I need to work on then I can't change what iv'e been doing for years?

That video that @saevel25 posted is a good one to watch. Part of it is just making sure the shoulder and hips slants don't change their inclination from the backswing to the early part of the downswing. Another good example, don't worry about the right arm stuff for now, just focus on how that torso is more "down and around".

Edited by mvmac
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

That video that @saevel25 posted is a good one to watch. Part of it is just making sure the shoulder and hips slants don't change their inclination from the backswing to the early part of the downswing. Another good example, don't worry about the right arm stuff for now, just focus on how that torso is more "down and around".

Looks good thanks I have some more videos i'll be posting later.

(edited)

@Mike Boatright

I merged the two threads. Please keep your updates in one thread in this section. Also, it's easy to embed video now. Just click the "insert other media" button on the lower right and paste the URL.

Lastly, your video is set to private.

Edited by boogielicious

Scott

My Swing Thread

@Mike Boatright

I merged the two threads. Please keep your updates in one thread in this section. Also, it's easy to embed video now. Just click the "insert other media" button on the lower right and paste the URL.

Lastly, your video is set to private.

Ok thanks I just want people to see it not an old thread I made a while back.. The video is public?

I can see it now. We've been having some bugs with embedding video.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Ok thanks I just want people to see it not an old thread I made a while back.. The video is public?

When you post in a thread, it bumps it to the top of the list. People will see it as you make new posts.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Been trying to step away from the ball a bit here is a few updates of my swing. Question do tour players do what they do because of talent or proper fundamentals? I'm on the road to better:dance:

It's both, they have a talent for doing 5 things very well.

Mike McLoughlin

(edited)

oh ok let me guess... I'm looking for simple ideas like your aimed to far left etc.. Not a commercial 

Yes I'm referring to the 5 Keys. Not saying you have to buy the DVD (already told you what you need to work on) but those are the commonalities that all good players share.

http://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/74723-introduction-to-the-5-simple-keys®-5sk-learning-system/

Edited by mvmac
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Screen_Shot_2015-10-03_at_2.28.03_PM.thuScreen_Shot_2015-10-03_at_2.28.37_PM.thuScreen_Shot_2015-10-03_at_2.28.57_PM.thu

I always go back to the basics of whether or not my head is relatively steady. Then I look at getting weight forward.  Then move on to the other 3 of the 5.  

I'd take a look at your head movement and see if there are other pros who do anything similar.

Seems like your head translates left on your backswing in the first two pics (I tried to center the green box around your head. The purple lines stay constant- they're some lighting effect going on in your clip).  Then your head goes down and even more left on your downswing when comparing the last two pics.

Between address and impact, your head had gone back quite a bit on this swing, for whatever that's worth.

Looks like a pretty powerful swing, though. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!