IGNORED

My Swing (Mike Boatright)

Mike Boatright
Note: This thread is 2936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Screen_Shot_2015-10-03_at_2.28.03_PM.thuScreen_Shot_2015-10-03_at_2.28.37_PM.thuScreen_Shot_2015-10-03_at_2.28.57_PM.thu

I always go back to the basics of whether or not my head is relatively steady. Then I look at getting weight forward.  Then move on to the other 3 of the 5.  

I'd take a look at your head movement and see if there are other pros who do anything similar.

Seems like your head translates left on your backswing in the first two pics (I tried to center the green box around your head. The purple lines stay constant- they're some lighting effect going on in your clip).  Then your head goes down and even more left on your downswing when comparing the last two pics.

Between address and impact, your head had gone back quite a bit on this swing, for whatever that's worth.

Looks like a pretty powerful swing, though. 

Yes thanks I'll look at the 5 keys. I do move off it a bit making me have to time it probably causes and another element of timing. I think my swing would be weak if I was dead centered though more consistent,but no power.

Yes thanks I'll look at the 5 keys. I do move off it a bit making me have to time it probably causes and another element of timing. I think my swing would be weak if I was dead centered though more consistent,but no power.

If you take a look at your driver swings you will notice that in almost all of them you always have to reset your body because you are about to lose your balance and fall if you didn't.  You are basically swinging out of your shoes, and that might be fine if you weren't about to fall after the swing.

Your assumption is actually wrong, because the best ball strikers in the world have a centered pivot (no one ever mentioned the word "dead center" other than you) and no one can say that they have consistency without power.. They manage to hit the ball dead center and are able to generate "ball speed" and they are able to do this consistently because their hips don't slide off center and they have a lot less compensations to make.

Here is a video with a great explanation of the centered turn and why, how it helps control the swing (without the loss of power)

• Upvote 1

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok thanks Looks Like a have a few setup tweaks to work on with my irons however if I did what these guys are doing in these photo with say a 7 iron on would smack down on the ball hit it low and left 120 yards. It looks so restricted to me I could never do this with my driver.

Ok thanks Looks Like a have a few setup tweaks to work on with my irons however if I did what these guys are doing in these photo with say a 7 iron on would smack down on the ball hit it low and left 120 yards. It looks so restricted to me I could never do this with my driver.

Listen. What ever advice is being given isn't a quick fix. I've done drills where I hit shanks. In the end you are trying to change your swing for the long term sacrificing good contact in the short term. Mostly when you are doing a drill. When I mean drill I mean something you do for an extended period of time to change your swing for the better. 

Right now you are going to struggle with consistent contact because your overswing and your head moves way too much. How about this, post a video of you doing working on keeping your head steady and maintaining that spine tilt? Just don't whack balls. concentrate on what you need to do to with your body to not lift your head up in the backswing.  

In the end you just might need in person instruction.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ill try to mix the two I really don't like to fix something if it isn't broken,however I will say it's far from perfect. I look at hunter mahan and it just looks to restrictive I guess that's the modern swing.

I'm a self taught guy like Seve here. 

(edited)

I'm a self taught guy like Seve here. 

This is kind of a pet-peeve of mine. I don't get the "pride" self-taught golfers have of getting to be a single digit when you could have gotten advice from a qualified instructor and probably have been better.

Anyway, here's Seve, pivot is still centered, doing the same stuff that all good players do. Hips are centered, lead shoulder/knee works down and back He also got instruction for several years from Mac, helped him win again.

Seve.jpg

Edited by mvmac
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

(edited)

Such a beautiful swing he moves his head a little though. When you do something that works you shouldn't change it to much that why bubba is who successful and Tiger woods who has changed his swing 9 times has been all over the place. I incorporate data that I deem relevant and use it towards my game. That's why I ask questions here you guys have helped quite a bit some of it though I disagree with.

Edited by Mike Boatright

Such a beautiful swing he moves his head a little though. When you do something that works you shouldn't change it to much that why bubba is who successful and Tiger woods who has changed his swing 9 times has been all over the place. I incorporate data that I deem relevant and use it towards my game. That's why I ask questions here you guys have helped quite a bit some of it though I disagree with.

please don't misunderstand anyone as saying that the head moves 0* from the setup through the bs and back.. What everyone is saying that it moved very little (it is a steady head and not a still head).  

Post a good FO video and then you can get much better feed back.

The comment about Tiger is strange too, since the guy dominated even after his swing change..  What's happening now with him is not the yard stick to measure that.

you should consider that maybe if you had been getting some good professional coaching you would be a + player right now..  

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Well many consider tiger to have his best swing in 2000 different topic though. I have had about 8 lessons from really good teachers they always conflict. One guy wanted me to swing flatter the other guy very upright it's always so confusing so Iv'e taught myself over the years. I'm trying to find a happy medium with my swing I'll try to post a side view of my swing maybe you guys can give me a few setup pointers sometimes that's all it takes.

• Administrator

Well many consider tiger to have his best swing in 2000 different topic though. I have had about 8 lessons from really good teachers they always conflict. One guy wanted me to swing flatter the other guy very upright it's always so confusing so Iv'e taught myself over the years. I'm trying to find a happy medium with my swing I'll try to post a side view of my swing maybe you guys can give me a few setup pointers sometimes that's all it takes.

How about you just give the stuff you've already been given a try?

http://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/84747-my-swing-mike-boatright/?do=findComment&comment=755382

Your swing has actual flaws in it. It's not just setup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

I was absolutely striping it today been working on tightening my swing marginally.. Here is a side view of my swing I'm way open for pointers anything to help me clear into my left side better.

Edited by Mike Boatright

Hi Mike. I haven't read through many of the replies - I'm assuming someone pointed you to the Centered Pivot thread? I notice you slide your hips back quite a bit on the backswing. It's easy for me to see because I fight that as well. It doesn't feel like I'm doing it but the video doesn't lie. I've yet to see any video of a good player doing this.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't accept the advice that the pro's and other members are providing and keep asking for advice, they'll likely stop posting to your thread. If they've given you a priority piece, please accept it as really good free advice and work on it in earnest. If you feel as though you haven't been given that one thing to work on, look back through the posts. Trust me, you won't get too many chances.

Good luck, man.

Jon

I was absolutely striping it today been working on tightening my swing marginally.. Here is a side view of my swing I'm way open for pointers anything to help me clear into my left side better.

Stop having your upper body tilt towards the target as your hips slide too much laterally in the backswing. You still have that bad teeter totter tilt thing going on. Get more a centered pivot and it will clean up your contact. Less hip slide, better turning, keep the head steadier both vertically and horizontally.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

What he said ^^^ and straighten your right arm - release it - after contact. It looks very cramped after contact. You can lay the left arm against your ribcage and straighten the right arm (not down the line) around you.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

What he said ^^^ and straighten your right arm - release it - after contact. It looks very cramped after contact. You can lay the left arm against your ribcage and straighten the right arm (not down the line) around you.

that's because he leans back and has a flip. He doesn't need to worry about his arms and hands till he fixes the centered pivot. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

that's because he leans back and has a flip. He doesn't need to worry about his arms and hands till he fixes the centered pivot. 

The flip is not terrible. A lot of people would be okay with it. Looks as if right wrist bend is released at impact, so yes, flip. And yes, that head is like a bobble doll - back, down, up...

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 10.41.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 10.40.55 PM.png

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Hi Mike. I haven't read through many of the replies - I'm assuming someone pointed you to the Centered Pivot thread? I notice you slide your hips back quite a bit on the backswing. It's easy for me to see because I fight that as well. It doesn't feel like I'm doing it but the video doesn't lie. I've yet to see any video of a good player doing this.

Agree. Now that I've seen a caddy view, this is definitely your priority piece @Mike Boatright.
 How to Make a Centered Hip Turn

MB_1.thumb.jpg.847ce026041ff3be0c3084c92MB_2.thumb.jpg.1c211b5c34620a84871371c3a

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Oh guys funny thing is I was hitting it 185 yards with a baby draw 5 irons. I have good hands I guess and it saves me a lot. I don't mind the slide a bit what I have noticed is the cramped right arm at impact I see pga tour pro's always extending through impact I am cramped up So I guess their all connected,Good I can get better then :-O

The flip is not terrible. A lot of people would be okay with it. Looks as if right wrist bend is released at impact, so yes, flip. And yes, that head is like a bobble doll - back, down, up...

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 10.41.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 10.40.55 PM.png

What is a flip?

Note: This thread is 2936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!