IGNORED

My Swing (Mike Boatright)

Mike Boatright
Note: This thread is 2930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh not at all I'm loving all the free lessons here you guys are awesome thanks. I really thought I didn't sway I thought it was my upper body cool nice pictures and those lines and stuff thanks. Maybe post a video of your swing so we can scrutinize it.

My swing is available in My Swing Thread. I warn you that I already have an instructor who helps me out. I have things I am working on currently. The likelihood I will consider a critique of my swing is low unless it jives with what my instructor says. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh not at all I'm loving all the free lessons here you guys are awesome thanks. I really thought I didn't sway I thought it was my upper body cool nice pictures and those lines and stuff thanks. Maybe post a video of your swing so we can scrutinize it.

I have a my swing thread and just posted videos there in high speed.  Please by all means take a look and give me your take.  That would be appreciated as I am still working towards breaking 90.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator

That's certainly encouraging guys I just don't know If i'm physically capable of doing this young guys move? Is this something anyone can do even a senior golfer? 

If the videos are you, you're not a senior golfer, and I think perhaps you're just trolling us at this point.

despise people who lie, and people who troll.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

Oh guys funny thing is I was hitting it 185 yards with a baby draw 5 irons. I have good hands I guess and it saves me a lot. I don't mind the slide a bit what I have noticed is the cramped right arm at impact I see pga tour pro's always extending through impact I am cramped up So I guess their all connected,Good I can get better then :-O

You asked for pointers on how to get to your left side better, it's easier to get there if you're hips are centered on the backswing. Like the guy in your avatar pic says, "It's all in the hips".

Also will a centered hip turn make me have a real short and restricted back swing like all the photos you guys have been posting?

No, that's your weird perception of things. Nobody in the pics posted is "restrictive". They're all making full, 90+ degree shoulders turns and play pretty darn good golf doing it. 

You don't see good players sway their hips back and tilt their spine towards the target.

That's certainly encouraging guys I just don't know If i'm physically capable of doing this young guys move? Is this something anyone can do even a senior golfer? 

You're a senior golfer?

Yeah i'm not going to change anything besides trying to load up more behind the ball in upwards fashion.

Cool, I'm out, good luck

Maybe post a video of your swing so we can scrutinize it.

Huh? You started the thread and asked for advice, now you're defensive about it?

@saevel25 has a swing thread and posts swings all the time.

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Proper turn actually increases swing speed because of the increased tension from properly coiling your body, even if the backswing ends up being shorter. It also increases distance *or at least tighten the dispersion to the longer end of your pattern* due to striking the ball more consistently out of the center because it won't be reliant on timing as much. At least that's the understanding I have. A long swing with improper coil is not going to generate as much speed as a shorter swing with proper coil. I could be incorrect though, just how I have understood things to work.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Are you guys ok is there something wrong with Iacas?.. The senior golfer thing is a metaphor or example is comparison to the Ricky Fowler photo and what you guys are saying I asked this because it seems more apt for the younger golfer.. Yes this is me I took the time to video my swings compile them together in windows movie maker and get advice, Thanks for all the help yes they are making 90+ shoulder turns but are also 20 years old that's all I get it I have seen video if DJ,Rory tiger woods they all stay centered and this very much makes sense.

Are you guys ok is there something wrong with Iacas?.. The senior golfer thing is a metaphor or example is comparison to the Ricky Fowler photo and what you guys are saying I asked this because it seems more apt for the younger golfer.. Yes this is me I took the time to video my swings compile them together in windows movie maker and get advice, Thanks for all the help yes they are making 90+ shoulder turns but are also 20 years old that's all I get it I have seen video if DJ,Rory tiger woods they all stay centered and this very much makes sense.

"Change Your Body, Change Your Swing" (a book - try Amazon)

Flexibility

Relax during the swing

• Upvote 2

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'm 36 years old with rods and pins in my lower back from a car accident when I was 18. I have no problem rotating my shoulders to right around 90* with a centered pivot. It's just about working at it. I mean if I can do it with restricted movement in my back I'm sure you can do it easily. I'm not even close to being decent at golf either. If you are really a 4 HC then if you can get a good center pivot going then I would expect you would easily drop to around scratch. Of course, that's just my guess.

shoulder turn center pivot.jpg

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator

Are you guys ok is there something wrong with Iacas?.. The senior golfer thing is a metaphor or example is comparison to the Ricky Fowler photo and what you guys are saying I asked this because it seems more apt for the younger golfer.

It's not more apt for the younger golfer, and I'm not entirely convinced you are who you say you are, or you're just screwing with us. Nothing wrong with me. Is there with you?

What you said is also not a "metaphor" at all.

I teach people of all ages (and both genders). You can turn more and turn more properly, too. This guy's about 70.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-06_at_2.29.14_PM.thu

Shot the lowest scores of his life this year, too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Are you guys ok is there something wrong with Iacas?.. The senior golfer thing is a metaphor or example is comparison to the Ricky Fowler photo and what you guys are saying I asked this because it seems more apt for the younger golfer.

You said you're not physically capable of performing the centered hip stuff and asked about senior golfers. That's an odd post when the golfer in the videos you post is a younger guy.

Mike McLoughlin

I'm 36 years old with rods and pins in my lower back from a car accident when I was 18. I have no problem rotating my shoulders to right around 90* with a centered pivot. It's just about working at it. I mean if I can do it with restricted movement in my back I'm sure you can do it easily. I'm not even close to being decent at golf either. If you are really a 4 HC then if you can get a good center pivot going then I would expect you would easily drop to around scratch. Of course, that's just my guess.

shoulder turn center pivot.jpg

That's good to know brotha sorry about your accident. Iv'e been hitting them very well but can see this slide or sway resulting in my pushes and toe hooks. This must be a common fault for most golfers compared to the tour pro's.

You said you're not physically capable of performing the centered hip stuff and asked about senior golfers. That's an odd post when the golfer in the videos you post is a younger guy.

I said i'm not sure I can make an effective turn like ricky fowler without reducing my backswing which in turn would reduce my clubhead speed but improve contact. That's why I was asking about senior players or champion tour players a lot of time those guys have weird swings because they have to.

I like the comment about senior golfer, I believe alot can be learned from watching a senior's swing. Here's a very sound effortless golf swing from a 60 years old Tom Purtzer (who has always been one the longest on tour and on senior tour)

There's less shoulder rotation since he got older. (Used to be a past parralel swinger) But still as a pretty nice turn over a stable and centered lower body. 

Edited by ygmondoux

(edited)

Great swing Tom Purtzer has been known to have one of the best swings on tour in his prime but never won a lot. Anyway nice video here good shoulder turn as you stated. Id like to add what about someone who isn't as good as tom here wouldn't there swing be even shorter while making such a centered turn?

Edited by Mike Boatright

There are no correlation between a centered turn and a small shoulder turn. 

Depends on flexibility, if you can't get there try to turn your hips more without shifting (common move before the left foot on the ground 80's phase)

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

There are no correlation between a centered turn and a small shoulder turn. 

In fact, people who sway tend to turn their hips less, and thus have smaller torso turns than those who properly turn their hips relatively "in place."

• Upvote 3

Here is a few updates of my swing I think I'm making some progress. It feels more coiled because iv'e been working on setting up square vs open and it's getting my swing on plane. I still need some work here is a montage labeled the ''GOOD BAD AND THE AVERAGE''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV5kgQp6aOA&feature=youtu.be

Still think you should be working on turning the hips in place and not tilting the spine towards the target.

MB_1.thumb.jpg.dc44e148d176054bb8b2f13c8MB_2.thumb.jpg.59921fff48d2e952a182db930

Mike McLoughlin

Been working real hard on my swing trying to coil better and align square, Im getting faster club head speed however still inconsistent with contact on irons and a little direction mostly straight or a high push. Otherwise i'm not going to change much from here based on results and my increased clubhead speed what I am looking for is the final touches Maybe there is something I can tweak very small

I don't see much but hey that's why we do this:-)

Note: This thread is 2930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!