IGNORED

Is the 5W dead (replaced with hybrids)?

Note: This thread is 3066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

As I wrote in my welcome thread, I'm new to golf as of this year.  I'm looking to add either a 5W or a 3H club to my bag.  At first, I was all ready to purchase a 5W since that seemed to be the "standard".  However, the more research I do, it seems that 5W are going by the wayside and everyone is picking up a 2H or 3H.  (Read this article last night)

For someone as new as me, do I pick up a 3H to get used to playing hybrids since that seems to be the thing these days?  Or pickup a 5W and continue to work on my game and get my technique down?

Thanks for the help in advance!

-Ryan

I wouldnt say its dead. I use a 5w and find it easier than a 3H. its all down to personal preference. Go to your local golf store and ask for a go on the similator (if they have one). That way you can get a feel for both and some free advice. The tracking software they have will be a real eye opener!

p.s. Welcome to the (new) site!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldnt say its dead. I use a 5w and find it easier than a 3H. its all down to personal preference. Go to your local golf store and ask for a go on the similator (if they have one). That way you can get a feel for both and some free advice. The tracking software they have will be a real eye opener!

p.s. Welcome to the (new) site!

Agree.  I'm a hybrid guy, but know several that carry a 5-wood, and a few that carry a 5-wood and another hybrid.  Personal preference.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Hi all,

However, the more research I do, it seems that 5W are going by the wayside and everyone is picking up a 2H or 3H.  (Read this article last night)

For someone as new as me, do I pick up a 3H to get used to playing hybrids since that seems to be the thing these days?  Or pickup a 5W and continue to work on my game and get my technique down?

-Ryan

First I think a 5W would go farther than a 3H. I have a 2H and it would probably end up 5-10 yards shorter than a 5-wood. You are looking at nearly 2" of club length between a hybrid of the same loft as a 5-wood. 

I think it has more to do with people feeling comfortable hitting a hybrid off the ground more than a 3-wood. I like my 3-wood for off the tee more than off the ground. I prefer the look of a hybrid off the ground. 

My dad has a 3-wood, 5-wood and 2 hybrids in his bag. He hit is about 190-220 off the tee. So he needs that extra distance and height the woods and hybrids give him in the top end of his set. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3H is much more useful on the fairway and rough, but a 5W is better off the tee since it usually swings "lighter".

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It's about your swing, and no one else's swing.

Some guy named Tiger Woods bags a 5 wd as do other Touring Pros, so the 5 wd is alive and well.

Remember, hybrids were designed to replace difficult to hit irons, which were typically the 3 and 4i in the late '90s (when hy were introduced). Not many were hitting 2i.

Ball go high, ball go far in today's 18-19 deg fwy woods.

The comparable Hy flights lower and has less distance (in general).

The 5 wood is more forgiving off the fairway or tee than a similarly lofted hybrid -- it's mass is bigger -- it's MOI is higher.  Out of the rough, the hybrid has a smaller mass, so the hybrid is more playable, but it depends on the rough - high, low, thick, wet, dry. If it's wet/dry and thick, I would not even hit a 3h out of that junk. I have gotten surprising results from a 5 wood out of rough that is dry and not thick - ball goes a bit lower and runs and runs.

What prevents some golfers from hitting the 5 wood consistently is shaft length.

I think a good length is 42-42.5 for a 5 wood. If you don't hit it consistently at 42.5, then 42 may work.

You've got to have a 5 wd design with a shaft -- that fits you.

I don't hit a hybrid below 21 deg -- typically once you go below 20, the designers are not giving you as much help as lower lofted hybrids are typically better player clubs.

But if you are going with a low lofted Hy, look at the Callaway XR, and try it in Recoil. That is one easy Hybrid at 22 and up.

good luck.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I use a 5W, but I also have to say that I know very little about the 3H. I have never used a 3H.  Another thing is that my 5W is usually the first club in my bag that I have trouble with. Not very often, but it's at the top of the list. 99% of the time my swing problem is topping the ball with it. This of course is my problem and not the club's.  All my woods (D,3.5.7) except for length, are a matched set. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My 19 degree Adams Speedline Hybrid is in that picture.  Ha!  I carry both the 5W and the 3H.  I can hit the 5W longer but I am inconsistent with it, ironically I have recently noticed that I hit my 3W more consistently than the 5.  The 3H doesn't go as far as the 5w for me when I do hit them both good but at my point I will take the more consistent 3H any day.  My set came with a 5H as well and I really like that club.  Have my first golf instruction lesson tomorrow morning, may not be the time to go over it as I am new to golf and there is a host of other things to work on but I am going to bring up the fairway woods in the field and how to hit them better.  

I still carry a 5 wood. I love my 5 wood.

I use it off the tee quite often. I use it out of the fairway.

One thing I have learned in this game is you use the clubs that work for you regardless of what others use.

Dont carry the ones that dont work for you.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I use a 5W, but I also have to say that I know very little about the 3H. I have never used a 3H.  Another thing is that my 5W is usually the first club in my bag that I have trouble with. Not very often, but it's at the top of the list. 99% of the time my swing problem is topping the ball with it. This of course is my problem and not the club's.  All my woods (D,3.5.7) except for length, are a matched set. 

I feel your pain. Typically, when hitting a fwy wood, we are trying to hit the ball hard so ball go far -- and our fundamentals get slammed.

If we hit at least 2 of 5 simple keys of weight forward and flat left wrist at impact -- that will help resolve the issues.

I get there by setting up with correct ball position, for me that is right before the club hits its low point, and setting up with hands slightly ahead of ball. Relaxed arms, don't swing at 100%, get weight forward and flat left wrist will help eliminate topping. 

Also, take a look at your equipment - I found that lighter, friendlier heads with a swingweight that is D0-D2 help me swing through the zone easier - but you've got to be able to control your swing -- and some need more swingweight than others - for me, D1-D2 works.

Good luck.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Thanks so much for the replies and warm welcome.  This forum is absolutely fantastic for helpful information!

I guess I will have to wait and see which I hit better with (either the 5W or 3H).  I busted my left shoulder at the driving range a few weeks ago and have an MRI next week to find out if I need surgery or not.  I was looking to add this last club to complete my set, but it sounds like I should hold off, get my shoulder fixed, then hit the simulator to figure out which club I hit more consistent with.

I still use a 5-7 wood that I have closer to a 7 ... I love the club, but have been considering a 3-4 hybrid.  I just have not found the one I like yet.  

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

For those who have been playing golf for a while, 5w is still live and kicking.    But I believe 5w has become a niche club that most newcomers to golf won't be carrying.   Some GI sets don't even come with one these days.   So, I'd say 5W is fading, not dead. 

Edited by rkim291968

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'm currently using a 4 wood (x hot pro 17 degrees) and 3 iron as my two longest fairway clubs. I'm long enough that I only need to use them for second shots on par 5's and from those distances it's just about getting it somewhere on or around the green. Only the pros hit the ball consistently enough to really see a precise distance gap and be able to dial in approach yardages between a 3 and 5 wood IMHO. Better off adding an extra wedge that I know I can hit my yardages consistency enough to maybe save a few strokes. 

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I love my 5w and it's a great club to hit.  HOWEVER, I don't carry it.  My 2H goes the same distance and I can use it in more lies.

it's a shame, the 5w is sweet.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

-Ryan

Go with whatever club works best, demo both. There are a decent number of pros that play 5 woods and they aren't going to stop making them anytime soon.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Five woods aren't dead just because what works depends so much upon an individual and their preferences. I'm not a fan of hitting a wood from the turf unless I have to. I can play the shot just fine, but it's not comfortable for me. I am much more comfortable hitting a 3i or 3h than I am a 5 wood, so I carry a hybrid or an iron depending on the day. I know golfers who are just the opposite and carry up to a 7 wood, so it really depends on individual preference. 

• Upvote 1

Because I spend a lot of time in the rough and other undesirable areas a hybrid is more versatile for me. If I was better (in less trouble) I'd use a 5w. My 5w is the same loft as my 2h and the distance difference is substantial.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!