IGNORED

Is the 5W dead (replaced with hybrids)?

Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...and to muddy the waters even more ...

I have and use a 5-wood all the time.  Next up in the bag distance-wise is a #4 hybrid.  I'm thinking of replace the 4 hybrid with a Ping G30 7-wood.  Since I spend MOST of the time on the short-grass, digging shots out of dense rough is not an issue.  Plus, I'd rather go at a shot in deep or dense rough with a 7- or 8-iron, take my lumps and get back in the ball game.

For me, 5-wood distance is around 180-190 off the deck.  It flies pretty high and straight, usually.  I don't hit my 4 hybrid off the deck often but use it more on par-3 holes in the 170-175 yard range.  That's about it.  The 7-wood should cover that yardage without issue.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My bag goes 3w, 2h, 4i I'm not a fan of hitting woods off the turf in general so I personally wouldn't be using a 5 wood. I find myself using the 2h most of the time instead of the 3w because the distance is very similar 20yrds or so and I hit the 2h much more consistently. I really think it depends on when you started playing I feel like if you started playing before the time of the hybrids your more accustom to playing more woods but if you started playing after then your more likely to have a preference for hybrids as they are easier clubs to hit and more versatile.

I hit the ball higher and longer with my 5w compared to by 3h or 2h.  I like it off the tee on long Par 3's and for approach shots when I have to land it on the green with minimal rollout

Joe Paradiso

I feel your pain. Typically, when hitting a fwy wood, we are trying to hit the ball hard so ball go far -- and our fundamentals get slammed.

If we hit at least 2 of 5 simple keys of weight forward and flat left wrist at impact -- that will help resolve the issues.

I get there by setting up with correct ball position, for me that is right before the club hits its low point, and setting up with hands slightly ahead of ball. Relaxed arms, don't swing at 100%, get weight forward and flat left wrist will help eliminate topping. 

Also, take a look at your equipment - I found that lighter, friendlier heads with a swingweight that is D0-D2 help me swing through the zone easier - but you've got to be able to control your swing -- and some need more swingweight than others - for me, D1-D2 works.

Good luck.

I hear you, and you are correct about losing my fundamentals by swinging to fast/hard. . When I top my 5W I am usually doing the reverse pivot thing. I adjust, and hit the next one much better. Luckily it only happens once every 10 rounds, or so. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I carry a 5w and a 3h. There is a 10/15 yard difference for me so they both are a good fit.

I carry a 5w and a 3h. There is a 10/15 yard difference for me so they both are a good fit.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

I carry a 5W and my next long club is 3H. 5W is my only fairway wood and it's a great club. Find it easier to hit consistently than a 3W. I use it mainly off the tee and occaisionally from the fairway.  I prefer hybrids from fairway, rough, etc.  The 5W is definitely longer than the 3H. Different clubs for different situations.  

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

The 5 wood is a strong hybrid pro's use it to nail it 260 yards downrange amateurs can use it because it's larger face is easier to connect then a baby hybrid. A utility iron hybrid club built right should be identical to a 4 iron.

SO NO 5 WOOD IS HERE TO STAY IT'S KING

Edited by Mike Boatright

I think the 5w still is firmly intrenched with older generation players.     I play an 18° hybrid, which is the same loft, but has a shorter shaft than a 5w, thus is easier to hit & plenty long.     I'll never go back to the 5w...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Go with whatever club works best, demo both. There are a decent number of pros that play 5 woods and they aren't going to stop making them anytime soon.

Because I spend a lot of time in the rough and other undesirable areas a hybrid is more versatile for me. If I was better (in less trouble) I'd use a 5w. My 5w is the same loft as my 2h and the distance difference is substantial.

The 5 wood is far from dead and 7 and 9 Woods are making a comeback... You may find a 5W is easier to hit than a 3W from the turf as a beginner... I personally like a 4W but you know.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

i had to walk out to my car to make sure my 5w was not in fact dead( well technially it is) i certainly love my vapor speed 5w. the club i fell the most confident with on any lie really. it all depends on your preference as other guys in this thread have already mentioned. you gotta hit all of the clubs to see what works for your swing. 

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

@GungaGalunga,

Interesting discussion on end of the 5W, but the base thread you linked up, Is The Fairway Wood Dead? is dead itself. The last post on it was March 2013, about 30 months ago.

FW or H? It depends on what you can hit well.

I carry a 4W, 7W and a 4H. The 7W gets the ball out of medium rough better than a hybrid. Also, I find the 4W easier to hit then a 3W.

Granted, I've seen some long ball hitters who stick with hybrids. A drop-in at my club this spring carried a Driver 2H and 4H at the long end. On two to the par 5s, he had the range to get home in two (made one green).

Also, a local pro replaced his 3W with a 5W. He said the 5W which was only 15 yards shorter and much more reliable.

The 3H - and certainly the 2H - can be difficult for the average golfer to hit, according to some local clubfitters.

So, GG, some people are dropping the 5W or FWs in favor of all hybrids. But, the FW is not dead. You'll just have to test out some clubs to find your best FW/Hybrid mix at the long end of your bag. 

Edited by WUTiger
To remove two inches of blank space at bottom of reply.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Five woods aren't dead just because what works depends so much upon an individual and their preferences. I'm not a fan of hitting a wood from the turf unless I have to. I can play the shot just fine, but it's not comfortable for me. I am much more comfortable hitting a 3i or 3h than I am a 5 wood, so I carry a hybrid or an iron depending on the day. I know golfers who are just the opposite and carry up to a 7 wood, so it really depends on individual preference. 

+1, Pretzel, the 5-wood is far from dead, for some mid-to-high handicappers it is a better choice of the turf than the 3-wood, because of the shorter shaft and the added loft.

That being said the reason i believe that the popularity of the 5-wood has gone down among better players is: Because of the lofts in the irons getting stronger, it has necessitated that a lot of better players add an extra wedge. Some tour pros still only have the 3 wedge set-up, so players like Rory and Tiger still have a 5-wood in their bags, but a lot of lower handicap players I know either have 4 wedges, or a driving iron instead of the 5-wood...

So to the original poster"s question, The 5-wood isn't dead, or even dying... it just seems to me that the 4 wedge set-up and driving irons among better players is taking the limelight. There are still a lot of 5-woods floating around.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Because of distance considerations, height, and the fact that some fairways have a face cup design or slots, and are less spinning - stronger flight - for those in the know, fairways are a viable, green firing alternatives.

The only real issue is you need to custom order - 7 woods at 41.5 (not 42+), 9 woods at 40.5-41 (not 41.5) and shafts that are more suited to a higher loft (heavier for better balance and stronger flight, less tip torque when they hit ground). Let's see more 70g stock shafts that are not tour-driven (we don't need Rogue I/O tip stiff shafts that are low launch, low spin).

When high lofted fairways do not work, I think that is the issue - shaft, torque, length.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Thanks again everyone for the replies.  I'm going to get my shoulder fixed (hopefully ready for next season), then go do some swinging at my local Golfsmith and see which I am better with.  :)

-Ryan

I'll go further on this topic.  The Wood is far from dead!  Once you get better you will start to notice that the club you used to hit well becomes a terrible club for you.  Mine was my Taylormade 4 hybrid.  When I first started playing it was my favorite club and the only one I could hit straight. 

Now that I'm much better I could not do anything to my swing to get that club to stop duckhooking!  The reason is that when my swing was really bad I had a slice swing.  Hybrids by default are designed to be more closed biased because most people use them as a "game improvement club." 

Instead of Hybrids I now game a 9 wood (rbz 22 degree) 3 wood (rbz 16 degree) and my super 3 wood (r11s 3 wood head on an extra stiff uncut r11s Driver shaft).  The reason I game the woods instead of hybrids is because they essential are utility clubs (like hybrids) but they aren't so closed off that you can work with the directions. 

You should definitely look into a 9 wood!  Best club in my bag! 

Edited by MattM

A DCI 5 wood has just replaced my 910H.  Same distance and for some reason easier to get in the air.  But as stated above I didn't compare shaft length etc.  It came with some clubs that i picked up, hit it and liked it.  

...and to muddy the waters even more ...

I have and use a 5-wood all the time.  Next up in the bag distance-wise is a #4 hybrid.  I'm thinking of replace the 4 hybrid with a Ping G30 7-wood.  Since I spend MOST of the time on the short-grass, digging shots out of dense rough is not an issue.  Plus, I'd rather go at a shot in deep or dense rough with a 7- or 8-iron, take my lumps and get back in the ball game.

For me, 5-wood distance is around 180-190 off the deck.  It flies pretty high and straight, usually.  I don't hit my 4 hybrid off the deck often but use it more on par-3 holes in the 170-175 yard range.  That's about it.  The 7-wood should cover that yardage without issue.

dave

Depending on my distance, I would rather use my 4H to get myself out of some deep rough. I find that an iron just pops a ball out and never the way I intend. My hybrid, with decent contact will get the ball out and eat up alot of yard along the way.
But everyone's game is different!

My 4H distance is 200+

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I hate my hybrids. I carry D, 3W (13.5*), 5W (17.5*), 4i-LW, Putter.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!