IGNORED

Tipping Your Golf Instructor

Gator Hazard
Note: This thread is 3095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a general rule I don't tip contractors or business owners.  I reserve tipping for lower wage workers who provide good to exceptional service.

Most golf instructors I know are either self employed or make significantly higher than minimum wage.  My way to show gratitude is to highly recommend them to others if they are good at what they do.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

• Administrator

My concern would be any instructor that relied on tips probably wouldn't be worth seeing. My instructor (former) charges $120 an hour, the guy makes more than I do and has a cushy job at a country club. He certainly took the time to give me all the perks, follow up emails, offers to practice and was very accessible. For $120 I expected that.

Who said they "rely" on the tips?

I had a few guys tip me this year. It was appreciated, noticed, and guaranteed they'd get some extra special attention later on. As much as I'd like to say I give all of my students the absolute best and most attention, I'm human and think it's human nature to want to "pay back the favor" or show my appreciation for the tip by going above and beyond.

And yes, I tried to turn it down, but it gets to the point where it's rude to insist they not tip you.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good to get decent responses. I wouldn't mind getting a bonus at the end of a project as well. . .

Putting up a few stars on this thread!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wouldn't. Tips are what you offer service workers because they don't make a full hourly wage. 

I think it goes, just like any other tipping.  If you want that added bit of extra service, a tip after the first lesson will go a long way.  I give a lot of lessons and do not think it is ever expected to get a tip, but it brightens your day and you definitely remember the students who tipped you.  Just think about providing a tip once, not every lesson.

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

I think it goes, just like any other tipping.  If you want that added bit of extra service, a tip after the first lesson will go a long way.  I give a lot of lessons and do not think it is ever expected to get a tip, but it brightens your day and you definitely remember the students who tipped you.  Just think about providing a tip once, not every lesson.

I should not have to tip an instructor to get good lessons from them.  That is absurd.    I expect the teacher to give that extra service as part of his job, not by a hidden fee based on tips.

Who said they "rely" on the tips?

I had a few guys tip me this year. It was appreciated, noticed, and guaranteed they'd get some extra special attention later on. As much as I'd like to say I give all of my students the absolute best and most attention, I'm human and think it's human nature to want to "pay back the favor" or show my appreciation for the tip by going above and beyond.

And yes, I tried to turn it down, but it gets to the point where it's rude to insist they not tip you.

So you work on tips to give the best possible instruction?  That seems odd.  Shouldn't that come with the lesson by default?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

(edited)

There are other ways to show appreciation in addition to tipping. Send as many people as you can his/her way. Give props on social media. Post his/her instruction vids, leave positive comments on his/her posts. Take more lessons, work on something other than long game.

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

There are other ways to show appreciation in addition to tipping. Send as many people as you can his/her way. Give props on social media. Post his/her instruction vids, leave positive comments on his/her posts. Take more lessons, work on something other than long game.

I agree with these far more than I do with tipping.  

Especially if that instructor gives special instruction only after a tip is received, seems super shady to me.

Tony  

I should not have to tip an instructor to get good lessons from them.  That is absurd.    I expect the teacher to give that extra service as part of his job, not by a hidden fee based on tips.

So you work on tips to give the best possible instruction?  That seems odd.  Shouldn't that come with the lesson by default?

I never ever said you had to tip to get a good lesson, but, you will get some extra attention or maybe priority in booking times for your next lesson with the tip.  If you expect extra service outside of the lesson, you should show your "extra interest" with a small nominal fee.

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

I never ever said you had to tip to get a good lesson, but, you will get some extra attention or maybe priority in booking times for your next lesson with the tip.  If you expect extra service outside of the lesson, you should show your "extra interest" with a small nominal fee.

My point is that a good instructor would provide the best service possible to all of his clients, not only to people who tip him. That is sleazy.

Tony  

My point is that a good instructor would provide the best service possible to all of his clients, not only to people who tip him. That is sleazy. 

A good instructor is going to give great instruction to everyone he meets with, a tip showing your appreciation for that always helps.  If you don't think it changes the way you feel about someone psychologically, you're wrong.  It affects everything, but like I said, it's never expected from anyone.  You are not doing the lesson for the tip.

Instagram

A good instructor is going to give great instruction to everyone he meets with, a tip showing your appreciation for that always helps.  If you don't think it changes the way you feel about someone psychologically, you're wrong.  It affects everything, but like I said, it's never expected from anyone.  You are not doing the lesson for the tip.

I never said it has no psychological effect.  Of course you are going to feel better towards that person.

I said it's sleazy to only offer extra special attention or instructions after receiving a tip.  If you are an instructor and get a tip, that is great.  Take the extra dough and buy a coke.  Don't take the mindset that you owe that person more than the prior guy because he didn't throw a $10 bill your away.  That is sleazy and cheap behavior.  Both if the tipper expects more lessons and if the instructor gives them.  

When I tip somebody, I do not expect more/better service.  That is the definition of a bribe.  I tip people based on their prior work ethic/service and do not expect anything more after I tip them.  

Bribe: persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.

People here are advocating for bribes to instructors.

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony  

Not disagreeing but we could say the same about positions we tip for.  The entire premise behind a tip (before they changed the way waiters/waitresses were paid) was that a tip was something you gave for exemplary service, same as with my barber shop.  I tip my barber, especially if they take their time and don't just cut my hair the way they want to cut it because that is the way they have always cut hair.  The barber is usually an independent contractor who rents out the seat from a barber shop.

I never said it has no psychological effect.  Of course you are going to feel better towards that person.

I said it's sleazy to only offer extra special attention or instructions after receiving a tip.  If you are an instructor and get a tip, that is great.  Take the extra dough and buy a coke.  Don't take the mindset that you owe that person more than the prior guy because he didn't throw a $10 bill your away.  That is sleazy and cheap behavior.  Both if the tipper expects more lessons and if the instructor gives them.  

When I tip somebody, I do not expect more/better service.  That is the definition of a bribe.  I tip people based on their prior work ethic/service and do not expect anything more after I tip them.  

Bribe: persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.

People here are advocating for bribes to instructors.

I can only speak for myself, I was never advocating a bribe, and the intent was never to get special treatment.  I just wanted to know if it was customary because in the past (being from Vegas) I had heard that some people tipped their golf instructors.  A tip is something you give someone for exemplary service.  In the restaurant and beverage service industry you really, really have to do something to not get a tip from me, but at the same time I always felt it was wrong to tip someone for doing their job.  Then the IRS got involved and businesses responded and they got squeezed, and now I am supposed to feel guilty for not tipping a waiter or waitress who provides the least minimal service expected.  I always thought THAT was BS.  A tip in my opinion is something you give someone for giving exemplary service as a show of gratitude for services already rendered.

Not disagreeing but we could say the same about positions we tip for.  The entire premise behind a tip (before they changed the way waiters/waitresses were paid) was that a tip was something you gave for exemplary service, same as with my barber shop.  I tip my barber, especially if they take their time and don't just cut my hair the way they want to cut it because that is the way they have always cut hair.  The barber is usually an independent contractor who rents out the seat from a barber shop.

Yes, but you are tipping for a service that was done and is completed.  

You are not tipping them to cut the rest of your hair or to use a special trimmer to cut it better.  That is a bribe.  And that is what people here are advocating for.  Bribes for better instruction are not tips.

I can only speak for myself, I was never advocating a bribe, and the intent was never to get special treatment.  I just wanted to know if it was customary because in the past (being from Vegas) I had heard that some people tipped their golf instructors.  A tip is something you give someone for exemplary service.  In the restaurant and beverage service industry you really, really have to do something to not get a tip from me, but at the same time I always felt it was wrong to tip someone for doing their job.  Then the IRS got involved and businesses responded and they got squeezed, and now I am supposed to feel guilty for not tipping a waiter or waitress who provides the least minimal service expected.  I always thought THAT was BS.  A tip in my opinion is something you give someone for giving exemplary service as a show of gratitude for services already rendered.

Exactly.  I have no problem with giving an instructor a tip if you liked the lesson.  I have no problem with the instructor accepting the tip.

I have an issue with the instructor giving special attention only to people who "tip" him.  

Tony  

Yes, but you are tipping for a service that was done and is completed.  

You are not tipping them to cut the rest of your hair or to use a special trimmer to cut it better.  That is a bribe.  And that is what people here are advocating for.  Bribes for better instruction are not tips.

Exactly.  I have no problem with giving an instructor a tip if you liked the lesson.  I have no problem with the instructor accepting the tip.

I have an issue with the instructor giving special attention only to people who "tip" him.  

Understood but I think it is far more innocent than the way you are framing it.  I may tip, and you know, the persons who receive tips, they are going to remember those things, and if they see that person or persons again they are undoubtedly going to act differently to them no matter how principled and ethical they are, that is just basic human nature.  A tip, and behavior that comes from a tip can have a large effect on service, in that those being tipped may perform to higher standards at more regular intervals, and that just makes them better people too.  Its not like we are talking about oil exploratory companies using pay to play tactics in other nations or bribing of politicians.

• Upvote 1

Understood but I think it is far more innocent than the way you are framing it.  I may tip, and you know, the persons who receive tips, they are going to remember those things, and if they see that person or persons again they are undoubtedly going to act differently to them no matter how principled and ethical they are, that is just basic human nature.  A tip, and behavior that comes from a tip can have a large effect on service, in that those being tipped may perform to higher standards at more regular intervals, and that just makes them better people too.  Its not like we are talking about oil exploratory companies using pay to play tactics in other nations or bribing of politicians.

On the same level?  No.

On the same principle?  Yes, absolutely.

The set price is $100 an hour.  You just tipped him to make it $110 an hour.  You paid more to get special treatment that effects your own personal interests.  

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony  

Thank you gatorhazard thats all I am saying

Edited by ncarlsongolf

Instagram

Note: This thread is 3095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!