IGNORED

Tipping Your Golf Instructor

Gator Hazard
Note:Β This thread is 3122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

(edited)
Β 

If it is that person's time, I don't see why they cannot take extra time with them. Β It is their time. Β A bribe is perspective and expectation. Β An instructor who gives extra because someone tipped them does so from their own choice. Β A bribe is something given to someone with the expectation that they will receive goods or services in excess of what could be reasonably expected.

Β 

Β 

I should not have to tip an instructor to get good lessons from them. Β That is absurd. Β  Β I expect the teacher to give that extra service as part of hisΒ job, not by a hidden fee based on tips.

Β 

So you work on tips to give the best possible instruction? Β That seems odd. Β Shouldn't that come with the lesson by default?

On the same level? Β No.

On the same principle? Β Yes, absolutely.

The set price is $100 an hour. Β You just tipped him to make it $110 an hour. Β You paid more to get special treatment that effects your own personal interests. Β 

If it is that person's time, I don't see why they cannot take extra time with them. Β It is their time. Β A bribe is perspective and expectation. Β An instructor who gives extra because someone tipped them does so from their own choice. Β A bribe is something given to someone with the expectation that they will receive goods or services in excess of what could be reasonably expected back. Β 

If I gave @IACAS (sorry, just an example)Β money, or pay for his lapdances at a strip clubΒ and then told him he needed to let me be a person who does reviews of equipment on this site and needs to send me those things, that would be a bribe.

Edited by Gator Hazard

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it is that person's time, I don't see why they cannot take extra time with them. Β It is their time. Β A bribe is perspective and expectation. Β An instructor who gives extra because someone tipped them does so from their own choice. Β A bribe is something given to someone with the expectation that they will receive goods or services in excess of what could be reasonably expected back. Β 

If I gave @IACAS (sorry, just an example)Β money, or pay for his lapdances at a strip clubΒ and then told him he needed to let me be a person who does reviews of equipment on this site and needs to send me those things, that would be a bribe.

Β 

It is no different than going to a restaurant, seeing the wait time is 45 minutes then handing the hostess a $20 to get a table right away. Β 

You are throwing around money to get better service than the next guy. Β Which is sleazy and a bribe.

And honestly I never would have thought to tip an instructor. Β And especially would not expect to get better/more instruction after said tip.

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony Β 

:titleist:Β  Β  | Β  :tmade:Β  Β | Β  Β  :cleveland:Β 

Like many have said, I do not ... if the instructor needs extra cash they should raise their rates.

Β 

Β 

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Β 

It is no different than going to a restaurant, seeing the wait time is 45 minutes then handing the hostess a $20 to get a table right away. Β 

You are throwing around money to get better service than the next guy. Β Which is sleazy and a bribe.

And honestly I never would have thought to tip an instructor. Β And especially would not expect to get better/more instruction after said tip.

You have missed the point again. Β No one here said when they gave a tip to an instructor that they expected them to spend extra time with them. Β Some persons have said that if they were or have been tipped they have chosen to do so, there is a difference

• Administrator

So you work on tips to give the best possible instruction? Β That seems odd. Β Shouldn't that come with the lesson by default?

Reading comprehension issue, dude. I said pretty much the opposite.

"Extra special attention" just means that rather than finishing my lunch I might go out to the putting green to ask them about their game for five minutes one time, or I'll give them a few minutes of extra time the next time I see them.

Everyone I teach gets a great lesson. Some feel it's worth an extra tip.

Tipping an instructor is not sleazy.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I agree that the best tip you can give is a good referral and returning for another lesson.

I can't say I wouldn't tip, but not on the first date and it would have to be really worth while.Β  An instructor is well paid already, and I'm already paying for personal attention.Β  It's in the best interest of the instructor to form a relationships with their client as we all know the importance of repeat business.Β  As a client, the best way I can say thank you is to be a good student and really put the effort in to learn and master the skills I'm being taught.Β  A good student makes the instructors job much easier.

Appreciative yes, tip- probably not, cup of coffee in the morning of course... a sincere thank you- always.Β 

JP

In the bag:Β  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!Β  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

(edited)

You know that's not what Erik said. I don't get what your deal is or why you choose to post crap like this.Β 

Yeah @iacasΒ only gives his bestΒ lessons to those that tip him, you fail to consider thatΒ all the information we provide on this site is shared for free.

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

There are other ways to show appreciation in addition to tipping. Send as many people as you can his/her way. Give props on social media. Post his/her instructionΒ vids, leave positive comments on his/her posts. Take more lessons, work on something other than long game.

This I agree with.

Not disagreeing but we could say the same about positions we tip for. Β The entire premise behind a tip (before they changed the way waiters/waitresses were paid) was that a tip was something you gave for exemplary service, same as with my barber shop. Β I tip my barber, especially if they take their time and don't just cut my hair the way they want to cut it because that is the way they have always cut hair. Β The barber is usually an independent contractor who rents out the seat from a barber shop.

I can only speak for myself, I was never advocating a bribe, and the intent was never to get special treatment. Β I just wanted to know if it was customary because in the past (being from Vegas) I had heard that some people tipped their golf instructors. Β A tip is something you give someone for exemplary service. Β In the restaurant and beverage service industry you really, really have to do something to not get a tip from me, but at the same time I always felt it was wrong to tip someone for doing their job. Β Then the IRS got involved and businesses responded and they got squeezed, and now I am supposed to feel guilty for not tipping a waiter or waitress who provides the least minimal service expected. Β I always thought THAT was BS. Β A tip in my opinion is something you give someone for giving exemplary service as a show of gratitude for services already rendered.

I expect exemplary service with everyone I deal with, just as I give my best for every one I serve. Service individuals should price what they are worth and never accept tips. I feel like I price my time for what I am worth and do not expect anymore from a cash paying individual. You still get my best and any extra time is my choice, no extra money expected.

Anything extra given is part of their agreed amount. Should you tip your dentist? Tipping is out of control in some areas.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

You know that's not what Erik said. I don't get what your deal is or why you choose to post crap like this.Β 

Yeah @iacasΒ only gives his bestΒ lessons to those that tip him, you fail to consider thatΒ all the information we provide on this site is shared for free.

Β 

I was just responding to what he wrote... "As much as I'd like to say I give all of my students the best and most attention." Β 

Giving people extra special attention because of a tip. Β Seems odd to me. Β I would do that for people regardless of tip and would not give beneficial treatment because of a tip. Β Why is that crap? Β Please explain how. Β Again having a different opinion does not make you right.

Β 

I expect exemplary service with everyone I deal with, just as I give my best for every one I serve. Service individuals should price what they are worth and never accept tips. I feel like I price my time for what I am worth and do not expect anymore from a cash paying individual. You still get my best and any extra time is my choice, no extra money expected.

Anything extra given is part of their agreed amount. Should you tip your dentist? Tipping is out of control in some areas.

Β 

100% agree with this. Β Why should I tip for a service I already paid for and agreed to the price of?

Β 

Reading comprehension issue, dude. I said pretty much the opposite.

"Extra special attention" just means that rather than finishing my lunch I might go out to the putting green to ask them about their game for five minutes one time, or I'll give them a few minutes of extra time the next time I see them.

Everyone I teach gets a great lesson. Some feel it's worth an extra tip.

Tipping an instructor is not sleazy.

Β 

And what I am saying is why don't you go talk to every student on the putting green? Β Why do you only do that for people that tipped you? Β 

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony Β 

Β 

Β 

100% agree with this. Β Why should I tip for a service I already paid for and agreed to the price of?

Β 

Can you then explain or justify tipping your server, bartender, or barber in context to what you wrote above? Β When I buy a Scotch and Soda from the bartender there is an agreed upon price. Β Are you saying you don't tip these people? Β If you do, then your reasoning is in opposition to the sentence you wrote above. Β Merely pointing that out.

At the end of the day, what I like is that I can do whatever I want, so if I feel that after the end of my 3 sessions with this golf instructor that I want to get him a gift card or something that is something entirely at my discretion and he can choose to accept or decline. Β If I do it, it will be for services rendered and with no expectation of futureΒ favoritism. Β I am actually considering if I do go this route of doing it aroundΒ the holiday times because I may get some more lessons from him if things continue to go well. Β I am also planning on getting something for the guy that works the pro shop at my golf course who routinely is pretty cool and has even included a couple of drinks I put on the counter in my course price (comped them) at the same time. Β I appreciate things like this and when I can I like to recognize them, I like to make people smile and to do small things that help brighten their day.Β 

Can you then explain or justify tipping your server, bartender, or barber in context to what you wrote above? Β When I buy a Scotch and Soda from the bartender there is an agreed upon price. Β Are you saying you don't tip these people? Β If you do, then your reasoning is in opposition to the sentence you wrote above. Β Merely pointing that out.

At the end of the day, what I like is that I can do whatever I want, so if I feel that after the end of my 3 sessions with this golf instructor that I want to get him a gift card or something that is something entirely at my discretion and he can choose to accept or decline. Β If I do it, it will be for services rendered and with no expectation of futureΒ favoritism. Β I am actually considering if I do go this route of doing it aroundΒ the holiday times because I may get some more lessons from him if things continue to go well. Β I am also planning on getting something for the guy that works the pro shop at my golf course who routinely is pretty cool and has even included a couple of drinks I put on the counter in my course price (comped them) at the same time. Β I appreciate things like this and when I can I like to recognize them, I like to make people smile and to do small things that help brighten their day.Β 

When you buy a drink or eat out, you are paying for the food or drink itself. Β  The service is what you tip for. Β The food/drink is the product with the agreed upon price. Β Yes, I always tip bartenders and waiters, usually above 20%, because they did either a good job or because they are paid below minimum wage. Β I have empathy for their work and profession.

When you go to a golf instructor, you are already paying for the service. Β That is the product with the agreed upon price. Β They are not the same. Β A golf instructor is not making below minimum wage and is not living off tips. Β To me, anything extra is a bribe and a shady practice.

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony Β 

When you buy a drink or eat out, you are paying for the food or drink itself. Β  The service is what you tip for. Β The food/drink is the product with the agreed upon price.

When you go to a golf instructor, you are already paying for the service. Β That is the product with the agreed upon price. Β They are not the same.

That is not true. Β Wages are a large part of the business cost, if they were not, no one would be arguing about creating a national minimum wage of $15 an hour.

That is not true. Β Wages are a large part of the business cost, if they were not, no one would be arguing about creating a national minimum wage of $15 an hour.

Go to Europe, where tipping is not a practice. Β The price for the service is built into the price of the food. Β You pay one price for both and it is agreed upon on the menu.

That is not the case in America, the two are separate. Β You are paying for the food with the menu price, you are paying for the service with your tip. Β 

Tony Β 

Β  Β  Β  Still haven't addressed if you would tip a barber @pumaattack all you are paying for is his services. Β The barber shop has an agreed upon price, you pay that, then you have the option to tip him. Β I always leave something for him. I don't expect him to put me at the front of the line next time I am in, nor does he expect the tip. But, what the tip (not bribe) does is show that I appreciated his work, his professionalism and how he made my head look. Β Same thing when it comes to instruction, Β I hope the student likes the lesson and is able to improve every-time I give a lesson. Β What is nice, is the occasional tip, that says he likes the way his head looks. Β I will in turn remember that person as a nice gesture tends to make you remember a person. Β And I will make it a point to let him know I appreciated his gesture by checking in with his progress. Β 

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern. Β Β Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver: Β Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g Β  Β 3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro Β (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi Β  Β Β Wedges: 54 Β & Β 58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

(edited)

Β 

Go to Europe, where tipping is not a practice. Β The price for the service is built into the price of the food. Β You pay one price for both and it is agreed upon on the menu.

That is not the case in America, the two are separate. Β You are paying for the food with the menu price, you are paying for the service with your tip. Β 

That's bologna. Β A tip by its very definition is a TIP, not part of the pricing model of a business. Β The business model you just described is a restaurant that doesn't have a payroll and doesn't pay its servers.Β 

In Europe because of their different tax structure and because of a cultural difference that is correct but I never asked about tipping a golf instructor in Europe. Β In every single restaurant I have ever been too I have been given a menu with prices, it is agreed upon on the menu. Β I will give an example of how this is true: Β If I didn't tip in the business model you described, I am guilty of not paying, and the restaurant would be able to call the police and have me arrested for theft. Β I have never seen or heard of that happening.Β 

The new thing is to suggest a tip at the bottom of the receipt. Β It is a suggestion and is not part of business model's cost structure. Β 

Edited by Gator Hazard

• Administrator

I was just responding to what he wrote... "As much as I'd like to say I give all of my students the best and most attention." Β 

No you aren't. You're responding to one pieceΒ of what was written, and then ignoring further follow-up that clarifies and more precisely explains what was written.Β Kinda seems to be your thing: latch on to something and then ignore any and all responses to it.

Giving people extra special attention because of a tip. Β Seems odd to me. Β I would do that for people regardless of tip and would not give beneficial treatment because of a tip. Β Why is that crap? Β Please explain how. Β Again having a different opinion does not make you right.

You would not simply by definition. If you give "everyone" "extra special attention" then nobody gets extra special attention. For something to be "extra" or "special" it cannot, by definition, be the same as everyone else.

It's crap because you're twisting or at the very least ignoring things and making disparaging remarks about me, when @mvmacΒ knows for a fact that what you're saying is untrue. Fact to which @mvmacΒ was responding: I do not "work on tips."

You know, there are lots of reasons why you might want to tip for a service.

I have had people here painting the house, or doing other work. You know what? Sometimes I will buy them beer if I know they like a certain kind. I've tipped my cleaning lady when I thought she did an extra nice job, or when she picked up some stuff my daughter left lying around that she didn't have to. It's just being a nice person, and recognizing and rewarding people you feel went above and beyond a little bit.

I've tipped:

• my barber
  • my mechanic
  • my waiter/waitress
  • my cleaning lady
  • kids at the golf course
  • a performer we hired for a party
  • several hotel employees
  • etc.

As a general rule, I'm not one to tip like crazy, but I am a nice person who appreciates when people go above and beyond the "service you paid for."

And what I am saying is why don't you go talk to every student on the putting green? Β Why do you only do that for people that tipped you? Β 

Because it's my 15 minutes to each lunch and they're not paying for my services at that time, but those who have tipped mightΒ get a little extra. They might make me eat a bit faster, or something like that.

I'mΒ veryΒ generous with my time. I charge for 45 minutes and rarely end a lesson short of 50. That's just how I am, and because I enjoy what I do. But there are limits, of course. If I don't want to go in to work at 7am one day (which would mean leaving the house before 6 if it's at CHQ), I'll tell some students "I can be there at 8" and yet if it's a student who has tipped or taken a good number of lessons, I'll do more to accommodate them.

Simple human nature, and try as you might, this does not paint me as a bad person.

When you go to a golf instructor, you are already paying for the service. Β That is the product with the agreed upon price. Β They are not the same. Β A golf instructor is not making below minimum wage and is not living off tips. Β To me, anything extra is a bribe and a shady practice.

If the service is above and beyond what someone thinksΒ is fair, often they'll tip. Because they're nice people, and maybe your rate, to them, is lower than the value of what they feel they got in return.

I teach golf in Erie, PA, and Chautauqua, NY. My rates are awfully darn low compared to other instructors, even those far less accomplished than I. So a guy summering in CHQ might be used to paying 5x what he pays me, and yet gets a better lesson from me than the guy at his course in Florida… he mightΒ tip. Even if he doesn't tip, he's more likely to take more lessons, because he feels he's getting a great value, or to recommend it to other people. Or he's more likely to not worry about the 45 minutes - I had one guy who would come to ask me a few questions or have me take a look at something, and he'd sometimes stop after about 25 or 30 minutes… yet pay the 45-minute rate. I'd try to say "well we onlyΒ worked together for 20 minutes the last time, so don'tΒ pay for this time because you're still only at about 45 minutes" and he'd say "No, no, that's not fair. I booked 45 minutes and I'm happy with what I got out of it and you couldn't book anyone else in this time" and they'd go off and pay for the 45-minute rate.

At the end of the day, those are all forms of "tipping" or "appreciating the level of service."

I always leave something for him. I don't expect him to put me at the front of the line next time I am in, nor does he expect the tip. But, what the tip (not bribe) does is show that I appreciated his work, his professionalism and how he made my head look. Β Same thing when it comes to instruction, Β I hope the student likes the lesson and is able to improve every-time I give a lesson. Β What is nice, is the occasional tip, that says he likes the way his head looks. Β I will in turn remember that person as a nice gesture tends to make you remember a person. Β And I will make it a point to let him know I appreciated his gesture by checking in with his progress. Β 

Yup.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Β 

That's not true. The hourly rate for a waiter/waitress is typically below minimum wage. They typically make that up and more on tips. You are not just paying for the food since the restaurant still pays them a wage. If that was the case they would not have any wages at all provided by the restaurant.Β 
Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Β  Β  Β  Still haven't addressed if you would tip a barber @pumaattack all you are paying for is his services. Β The barber shop has an agreed upon price, you pay that, then you have the option to tip him. Β I always leave something for him. I don't expect him to put me at the front of the line next time I am in, nor does he expect the tip. But, what the tip (not bribe) does is show that I appreciated his work, his professionalism and how he made my head look. Β Same thing when it comes to instruction, Β I hope the student likes the lesson and is able to improve every-time I give a lesson. Β What is nice, is the occasional tip, that says he likes the way his head looks. Β I will in turn remember that person as a nice gesture tends to make you remember a person. Β And I will make it a point to let him know I appreciated his gesture by checking in with his progress. Β 

Β 

Yes, I do tip my hair cutter. Β I usually tip them $5. Β The difference? Β I do not expect a better haircut or extra attention because of that tip. Β I am tipping them for a service that is 100% completed and done. Β  I do not expect to go back a week later and get a touch up because I gave them a tip. Β In addition, the average wage for a hair stylist is nowhere near that of a golf instructor. Β 

That's not true. The hourly rate for a waiter/waitress is typically below minimum wage. They typically make that up and more on tips. You are not just paying for the food since the restaurant still pays them a wage. If that was the case they would not have any wages at all provided by the restaurant.Β 
Β 

Β 

Ok, you are right. Β  You are paying for them to get above minimum wage. Β Is that the case for a golf instructor? Β No. Β You are also forgetting that waiters have other duties besides waiting on you. Stocking, cleaning, etc. Β The business is paying them for those services to the business.

If you didn't have to tip a waiterΒ at all, because the price on the menu included food andΒ service, your meal would cost more. That is the bottom line. Β The tip you pay is up to you, not the restaurant.Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony Β 

Note:Β This thread is 3122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!