IGNORED

Do I have a case for a refund?

Ongle
Note: This thread is 3092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So played a lovely local members course on Thursday. Got there nice and early, had a decent 20 mins on some practice chips and putts then a good warm up in the nets working up through the clubs. 

Got to the driver and had a few good swings, nothing out of the ordinary. 

But then 4th or 5th sounded a bit funny!  Just presume hasn't caught them nice, even though felt pretty good. 

Then went to tee off on the par 5 1st, caught it a bit out the heal, a low slight right to left (being a lefty), but it sounded AWFUL! I remarked it almost sounded broken, when I look at the head and low and behold I have a big crack in the bottom of the face!!! WTF?! 

Pretty sure happened on one of the swings in the nets, but didn't hit anything other than the ball and the rubber tee, so not sure how this has happened? I'm not a club thrower or ground smasher, and I've only had the club 3 months! 

I honestly think this is a manufacturing fault as I've played maybe 8 rounds with it and been to range maybe 8 times as well. 

So does anyone think I have a case for getting a replacement From the online company I bought it from? I know 3 months is beyond the UK's sales of goods act, but would feel a bit pissed off if that was that. 

Has as anyone else had something like this? Does it look like a fault to you?

sorry, sure I could have told that story without the essay!!! 

image.jpg

Btw it's an Adams Super speedline S black, so not a shit club although not a. Top of the range either to be fair. 

I would imagine you need to send it back to the manufacturer to be inspected. Provided they don't see any signs of abuse and it isn't a counterfeit Adams should provide a replacement.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The club surely looks like a defect.  What is the warranty period?   3 months?  6 months?  The seller should honor the warranty if he is a legit dealer.   If the dealer is not legit, or you bought it used, or warranty period has passed, I'd think you are out of luck.  You are then at the mercy of the seller.  My 2 cents.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Take it back to your authorized retailer, or call Adams (Taylormade) CS.

Heads do crack ... more frequently now in the quest for added distance.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

If you bought from a pro shop or a reputable dealer, and it's not a fake, they should replace it.  This happened to me many moons ago with an early Titlesit 905J, if I remember, and they replaced it.  The face split after a drive, I probably had it for maybe a month when it happened.  I've also had a shaft on a Titlesit hybrid split and they gave me a new shaft.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

You indicate that you bought it online, and that could be an issue. If they're an authorized Adams account, there should be no problem. Your best bet is to contact the nearest Adams retailer. If your not sure who that would be, you can find it on the Adams website. The club appears to be a model that Adams hasn't made in some time, so I'm not sure how they'd handle it from a warranty standpoint. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to keep some discontinued models on hand just to cover situations like this.

You should always be careful when buying clubs online. There are lots of counterfeits out there, although that's probably less likely with a brand like Adams. They make good quality equipment, but I think the scum that make the knockoffs focus more on TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, Ping, etc. Good luck!

This is why I keep a "beater" driver around for hitting range rocks. Usually one that's about 3 years old that I bought still in its shrink wrap on e-bay or in the bargain bin at a store for under $100. 

Contact the manufacturer, and have your original sales receipt available.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

It would likely be better for you to contact Adam's Golf directly rather than the retailer who sold you the club. They will better be able to solve any issues you have with a defective product, since the retailer has to go to the manufacturer anyways for any sort of replacement.

Their customer support contact information can be found by clicking here.

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 1

I would imagine you need to send it back to the manufacturer to be inspected. Provided they don't see any signs of abuse and it isn't a counterfeit Adams should provide a replacement.

I agree. I would contact Adams and talk with them about what happened. Do you know what the warranty was on the club when you bought it? Nonetheless, I would think Adams would make good on the situation as long as they didn't find any foul play.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

It would likely be better for you to contact Adam's Golf directly rather than the retailer who sold you the club. They will better be able to solve any issues you have with a defective product, since the retailer has to go to the manufacturer anyways for any sort of replacement.

Their customer support contact information can be found by clicking here.

Yup, this. I broke a shaft from a driver I bought online while it was still under warranty. Because it was from an authorized dealer, I was able to bring it into a local retailer and they took care of sending it back to the manufacturer for me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

That clearly a club defect.No idea how you could possibly crack it on bottom like that.Ive seen cracks along the top face but not on the sole.

There's a giant scuff mark right where the crack is, which seems to indicate it was being hit off of a mat.  My initial thought was that he caught one a little heavy while hitting those range balls.  Still... I've done that before and I haven't cracked a head, so... I'd think it would be a defect of some sort as well.

I agree with others.  Contact Adams and see where it goes from there.  Worst case scenario... they tell you no.  Best case... they replace it for you.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Was this bought new?

I can't help but lock onto those scuffs and skids on the sole of that club, to include a nice swath of range mat "skin" on the heel. I would not be surprised if OP hits down with his driver, and perhaps ran into some shallow mats and the subsequent concrete. Who knows?

Regardless, no company is going to turn away a request over a crack like that. Bad PR, goodwill, etc. Especially Adams and its parent TaylorMade. I would try through your local store and perhaps they do the return and replace from their inventory. Or you're mailing and waiting.

Good luck! Do you have another D for the tee?

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

That driver is only 3 months old?  OMG...it looks like it has been beat to hell!!   With that said, it depends on Adams warranty.  If you send it in, they may send a replacement because it's only been 3 months.  I think most manufacturers will replace within the first year if it cracks based on defect.   Looking at the above club.....this might be a stretch.  You've obviously been trying to take divots out of concrete with this driver. 

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I believe you have a case if that is a new driver.  I had a 2 year old Cobra fail in a similar manner (fracture along the weld line) and I called and sent the club to them for examination.  They didn't make that club anymore so they sent me a $200 credit for any Cobra Driver I choose to purchase.  I thought that was fair since the club was 2 years old.  But had it been new I would have expected a new driver from them.  

PS: as a post script this was before Puma bought Cobra so not sure what their present policy is on manufacturing defects these days.

Butch

You would definitely have a better chance sending the club back to the manufacturer.  The online company will not do anything beyond their stated warranty period.

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

I would find out from Adams customer service if there is a distributor on that side of the pond that handles warranty claims and send it to them. I think it would be faster than sending it to the US.

I once bought a genuineTaylormade driver that was new, but not from a licensed retailer, and on the first trip to the range, the head came off. I called a local Edwin Watts, explained  the problem honestly including that I had not purchased it from them, and asked if they would return it and I of course would pay shipping up front. The manager said no problem, and the shipping would be about $15. When I arrived at the store, he looked at the club, and said, "We'll send it in; just pay the $15 and get a new one off the shelf " !!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 3092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!