IGNORED

Reporting scores in abnormal conditions

Cupcakus
Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In my quest to get my HI under 20 by the end of the year I went out this afternoon to play a round with the intent to report it afterwards.  The front 9 was fine, I shot a 46.  Higher than I wanted but OK.  Then all of a sudden the wind picks up big time 35mph gusts I tee up on the long very downhill par 5 10th hit it pure and straight into the wind and by the time it lands it's coming back towards me and then rolls uphill backwards 15 yards.  It took me a 7 iron 4th shot to get on when I can usually do it in 2 or at least have a chip for 3.

While I'm aware wind is an important factor in golf, this is a bit ridiculous and made the course much harder than its 116 slope would indicate, which makes reporting the score feel like a disservice.  Winds like this are not normal for this course.  I ended up with a 52 on the back.  I don't believe any amateur regardless of index is playing at their handicap in winds like this.

i ended up reporting it anyway but I'm curious if others just don't bother if the course is experiencing abnormal conditions?  Another course I play has been letting the greens grow for some reason and the ball bounces instead of rolls there now, I've  been reporting those rounds too but am thinking of stopping.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

It's part of the game unfortunately. It won't hit your handicap if it is in the upper half of your scores.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It could affect handicap if it pushes one of your ten best out of the last twenty but only by whatever the difference is in the next lowest score that replaces it. But if your handicap is legitimate that score is probably close as your 11th best. The movement would be minimal. 

Dave :-)

Yes, posting it really shouldn't hurt you too bad.  I pretty much agree with the last two posts.  It actually helps you keep a more accurate handicap in my opinion.  Your handicap will be more reflective of your playing ability in all conditions on various styles of courses.

Ultimately it's up to you.  That said, I guess I'm a hypocrite- I've not posted scores on aerated greens :pound: that were just done... but I usually end up working on something and not playing for score.  I'll drop a couple balls at a certain yardage or try certain things around the green....  Shoot, I aim for sand traps some times lol...  when the greens are just done or if there are temporary green(s) on the course for some reason.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I report 'em all. I enjoy reporting the higher scores. The lower ones are the ones that bother me. But you gotta report all of them. Integrity of the game.

Edited by Kenny Lee
grammar

I report 'em all. I enjoy reporting the higher scores. The lower ones are the ones that bother me. But you gotta report all of them. Integrity of the game.

I agree completely.  Some people omit reporting scores that will lower their handicaps.  That's called cheating.  Some people choose not to report scores that will raise their handicap.  In my mind, that's cheating too.  Choosing which scores to report, based on what they'll do to your handicap, is just wrong.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Agreed - I post everything.  It's all about integrity.

The only exception is if you start playing with no intention to post it (ie, a practice round), knowing in advance you are going to be playing with multiple balls or with non-conforming equipment (a laser with slope calculation and club recommendations, for example).

- John

I was thinking about posting something like this after my round yesterday. Shot an 83 on a fairly easy course I know well but it was misting the whole time with 18-23mph winds and 30mph gusts. Just seems a bit unfair to have that 11.4 differential stuck on my card.

I figure the distance lost off the tee alone probably equated to 2 strokes, but as others have said it's only one score so it isn't going to do all that much damage. I imagine those die hard golfers in Seattle have some real crazy handicap swings.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The only exception is if you start playing with no intention to post it (ie, a practice round), knowing in advance you are going to be playing with multiple balls or with non-conforming equipment (a laser with slope calculation and club recommendations, for example).

Yes, this pretty much sums it up.  Now, I've made the decision on the 2nd hole after seeing how bad the greens were but I don't make the decision based on if I got a bogey or I started scoring bad.  Generally, you can tell on the practice green.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Yes, this pretty much sums it up.  Now, I've made the decision on the 2nd hole after seeing how bad the greens were but I don't make the decision based on if I got a bogey or I started scoring bad.  Generally, you can tell on the practice green.

You should post scores on aerified greens. It doesn't change the scoring as much as you think, it's mostly mental.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I went from 39 on the front nine of a course one day to 50 on the same front nine another day due in a good part to high winds. That being said, I still reported the score because at some point I may need to play in high winds during a tournament so I need to know how it will affect my shots. You post the good and the bad. For me, it's just as much about improving the difference between my high round and low rounds as it is lowering my good rounds.

You should post scores on aerified greens. It doesn't change the scoring as much as you think, it's mostly mental.

This, in my opinion, is highly dependent on the course. Some do a better job of if than others. I've been on courses where you don't even see any sand in the holes and others where the holes are barely noticeable when you putt.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

You're right.  It generally doesn't change scoring so much. However, I would simply get frustrated if I was trying to score and the greens were horrible (just done and done badly).  If they are really bad - then I'm just going to make it a practice round "so to speak" and work on some yardages or shot types (I'll enjoy my round).  I will make that decision prior to the round, unless you can't tell how bad they are until the 1st or 2nd hole.  Once I make that commitment, I have no intention of posting and don't even hole out every hole.  I try to make it a really productive round from a practice standpoint.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% will post rounds on aerated greens but not when they are horrible and just done.  If they are dressed and manageable- different story.

JP

If you don't post them all, your handicap isn't accurate.  Tough conditions are just a part of the game...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

We're in the aerated sanded green time. Putt if you can make it, otherwise the local rule is auto two putt. Scores are not reported.

Then there's the "leaf rule" time that's coming up very soon. Deciduous trees shed their leaves and you could lose your ball on the fairways. Free drops no penalty. This is not according to RoG.

So at this point it's just practice rounds.

But playing in a wee bit o breeze? Scores are going to go up. And really at a 20 HC or over we shouldn't be worried too much about our HC. We should be playing for fun. We're never going to make a tour, not at our ages, and we're probably not even going to win our club championship. So, how much does our handicap matter?

I'm a 90s golfer. I can turn a round with 65% FIR into a 95 because I suck. Sure I'd like to be an 80s golfer, and that may happen with a better short game and more consistency, but for now I'm 90s golfer.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Weather is not a reason to not post a score. I think this is one of the times the ESC comes in handy. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Weather is not a reason to not post a score. I think this is one of the times the ESC comes in handy. 

Although there was a round I was playing when it started out with a light drizzle and calm situation, then a squall line hit with straight rain. I'd just hit my tee shot when the winds and rain hit. And it got cold and it stung. I quit the round. By the time I got to the clubhouse, the downpour started. I got a rain check at the desk. Essentially a 6.5 hole mulligan. lol.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Yeah I always wondered how the hcp system works when your playing a course with 70 rating and 120 slope yet the wind is howling and its wet making it longer and tougher.No way that rating and slope are accurate then.If you enter a score then thats a false score in my opinion.Maybe thats why its best 10 out of 20 so it evens out say if you play on hard pan where your getting 100 yard rolls .

I am at the point where I don't think I will be reporting anymore scores for handicap.  They are going to be practice rounds because I am losing way too many balls because of leaves.  It's not feasible to always be heading back to where you last hit without pissing people off.  It totally wrecks an already meager game and only makes the blood boil when you see exactly where it lands and wait for any roll out or kicking to the side.  You can search till the cows come home and not find the damned thing.  A leaf blower would probably be illegal to carry.  :-)  I have been using my hat to whisk a path to the hole.  For some reason, they sure seem to go in more often when the path is laid out for you.

It's cheap ball time. 

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!