IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Beautiful day, horrible golf.  I was glad I was by myself.

One of those rounds the golfing gods give you every now and then to make sure you're not getting any kind of an ego.  I hit fat, I dug holes with my irons, skied my driver three times, left chips 20 feet short, topped a 6i, lipped out five times, went in every bunker I could see (and some I didn't see) and just generally sucked.  Lost four balls, broke my 5i and had passed 100 by 15.

I topped it all off by skying a drive and losing it in the sun.  The ball landed 100 yards forward and left, plopping softly on a green where another group were putting.  That was one of the more embarrassing walks of my golfing career.

39 on the front nine - first time I've broken 40 for nine holes since getting back into golf this year and it was my target for the year when I started up again so I was pretty pleased.

I hit 6 GIR + 2 putts on the par 4s and one par 3 and bogeys on the 2 par 5s and the other par 3.  Part of me feels like maybe I left some shots out there but I'm sure reality will bite next time out.

It is probably just coincidence but since I started using the Callaway Chrome Soft a few weeks ago my approach shots seem to be much more under control and my putting distance is better dialed in.  I spent a lot of the summer on the range and have only played about 180 holes and most of them recently - I think actually getting on the course and learning how to score has been a big benefit (which is probably obvious!)

Edited by ZappyAd

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

Was having the best round and feel for golf in my life (my golf life isn't that old though...) last Friday. Walked 9 holes by myself, last person of the day from 3:00-5:00 (had a 2some in front of me playing pretty slow but it didn't both me).

Started the first 5 holes only 2 over (total)... that's incredible for me (like unbelievably good for me), difficult holes to boot. I was in the zone. 

Then.... it started to rain... very lightly. I have never played golf in the rain. My mind immediately turned too "No! This is my best round ever I want to finish before it starts to pour!" and then in my rushing I totally crapped the next 4 holes lol. Shot a 48 which is actually still pretty good for me. Seriously, on the last par 3 when the rain started to pick up I just grabbed the club I thought it would be, hit it super flush, and ended up in the greenside bunker... it was the wrong club. Would have been an excellent shot had I grabbed the correct club. No worries, I jumped into the very very low bunker (you couldn't even see the flagstick) so I just estimated where it was and crushed the sand shot! Except that I aimed OFF THE GREEN. Then chunked the steep pitch. Then putted it out for a +4 I think lol. 

Until next time!

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was the first one out on my home course today, but I was delayed getting out since we had to wait for the frost on the greens to dissipate. I have never heard of Black Frost. Hmmm... at least that is what the guy at the course was talking about. Anyway, I usually don't keep score when I play by myself, but practice a lot and re-try and try multiple shots and situations. Anyway, I was specifically focuses on breaking a terrible fade I have been experiencing on my drives. I was encouraged on my better driving ability today and even got a couple nice draws on the course. Putting was better with my technique (pendulum), but still needs work. It was just above freezing throughout the round. I don't care though... I love the game and the cold helps keep the golf population down (ha).

Dave

There's only one course open here in Northern Michigan (at least that I can find).

Score:  84.  Very happy with that score seeing how the temperature was in the 30's.  Although, this is a very easy, and short (5700 yds.).

Fairways:  8.  Again, happy with that.  It's about my average.

GIR:  6.  About average for me.

Putts:  33.  This is better than my usual.  I get a lot of 3 putts.  Only had 2 today.  I did a lot of research and took a lot of advice from this forum on how to pick a putter.  I've had a new putter the last 3 rounds and have reduced my 3 putts quite a bit.

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

Another day and another round of golf here in beautiful Northern Michigan.  This is the first time in 27 years I've played in December here. (Of course, till this year I hadn't played in 20 years.)

Score:  79 (I'm playing a terribly easy course with 2 par 4's less than 250 yds. and a 380 yd. par 5)

Fairways: 13.  It was very cold and I think my longest drive was 210, with many less than 200. 

GIR:  6. Iron play was terrible

Putts:  29.  This is the 4th round I've played with the new Odyssey Mallet.  I had a couple of 3 putts, but one was a 40 footer downhill with a lot of break.  Went by the hole by about 8 feet and missed the comeback.  The other was a misread.  I played a 5 ft. break to the right and it went left.  Ended up with another missed 8 footer.  I'm really getting distance control with this putter. Other than those two putts, I didn't miss anything within 5 ft.  I  don't feel like putting is going to be my downfall anymore.

Later,

John

Odyssey Big-T Putter

38 - 37 = 75 with 15 GIR.  15 pars, 3 bogeys.  Two 3 putts.  Stone cold putter.

Edited by vangator
  • Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Had an 85. No idea how I even managed that score given I had three 3 putts in the front 9 which included a quadruple bogey for 45 out.

Back 9 was better, coming back in with 40.

But yeah, where's as the last 45 holes I was sinking everything on the greens this week I couldn't buy a putt! 

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Dec 6 and playing golf in  Youngstown Ohio got to love that . shot pretty bad 57 about 9 or 10 over what i normally shoot . it was in the 40s outside. but i was very happy because i still pared two holes. and i haven't  played for about 2 months due to a hurt back. back flared up on 1 drive on a par 5. i  rested for 20 minutes letting people through. then all was well. i hit some pretty good shots as well and was playing the last 3 holes pretty good . the course was also packed which was good .

Played 9 today on a very windy day. Interestingly, I am now consistently hitting every fairway on my drives which has me very excited. Too bad my short game which was my strong point earlier in the year has gotten worse. Anyway I only managed a 44 for the 9 holes I played today.

It was very cold and very windy today in Northern Michigan.  We still have one course open.  I shot the following.

Score:  89

Fairways:  5

GIR:  2

Putts:  33

The new putter is still working, but everything else just kind of fell apart in the wind and cold.  That being said, this is December 11 and we're still on the course, so I'm not going to complain too much.

Later,

John

Odyssey Big-T Putter

Played 18 today and shot an 81. 41 on the front and 40 on the back. Continuing to drive the ball better and strike the ball better. Chipping/ pitching and putting seem to be what are gonna lower my scores next year. 

I keep saying each round is the last of the season up here in Northern Michigan.  However, it was mid 40's with no wind and quite pleasant today.  The course decided to have a scramble because of the nice weather and the course was very crowded.  Good for the course and kudo's to them for being the only course open for the last month.

Score:  82

Fairways:  7

GIR:  3

Putts:  29

The short game continues to save me in the colder weather.  Although I drove a it better, I still needed a chip in for a par and a chipped lip out for another par to save a good round.  Whenever I have a chip other than over an elevated green I always use a 6 iron like a putter.  I can't remember the last time I had anything but a chip and one putt with that 6 iron.  The new putter has been amazing.  I was averaging 38 putts before the new putter and now I'm down to 32 putts a round for the last 8 rounds.  It's an Odyssey mallet.  I consider it an ugly stick, it doesn't feel very good to me, and my posture is not very comfortable.  However, my distance control has been extraordinary.  I've only 3 putted a couple of times in those 8 rounds -- all due to miss reads.  (Hard to putt well when you read a 5 foot to the right putt and it goes 2 feet left!)

Later,

John

Odyssey Big-T Putter

If it wasn't out of season I would have posted a 3.8 differential yesterday.  The course was short and not particularly tough.  The score of 71 (par 70) looks better on paper than the differential.  Topped it off with a 36 (par 35) on the 3rd nine.

I did manage to go 2 for 2 on sand saves; that is good for me when my long term average is about 20-25%.

Walked all 27 holes at the course and feel a bit weary.  Our weather has been almost tropical compared to normal averages.  I may have to give it a go today.

Brian Kuehn

43-41-84

Hit some squirrelly shots but generally played pretty well. Shorts and short sleeves on December 13th? Pretty awesome.

Bill M

SGCC Blue Tees

33-40-73

3 birides and an eagle (Par 4 - 3rd Hole) and one stupid double and one three putt.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

We have had great weather this past week here in NC. (60's and low 70's)  I got out to play at my club on Thurs morning before work.  Jumped out as a single in the first tee time of the day and felt like I had the place to myself.  Breezed around 9 holes in about 1:05, it was a beautiful thing.  Started off  par,par but then got a one way ticket on the bogey train.  I was hitting good tee shots but there was one shot every hole that stunk.  I finally got off the train on #8 making par there and a par on #9 for a 42.

I have another tee time on Wed AM, playing with my buddy.  Will probably be close to 50 degrees and sunny around 8am. 

Most of my club is Bermuda but the greens are Bent grass so while most of the course goes dormant, the greens stay green and perfect all winter.  Our Super does an amazing job keeping the course very playable all year.  Even in winter with the dormant grass, the course is in good shape.