IGNORED

How many fairway woods? Which ones and why?

Note:Β This thread is 3113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Number of Fairway Woods do you have in your bag?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How many fairway woods do you use?

• None
    • 4 or more

I was just doing some research, how many fairway woods we're carrying, which ones and why?

I carry one, a 3-wood. I couldn't find the XRail 4-wood anywhere at the time... I like the 4-wood better than the 3-wood (I was hitting my XCG3 4-wood about 230 last year)... I hit my 3-wood about 225-230 so it works with my gaps.

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm all about distance, I need it, and fairways tend to give me more than hybrids.

3 wd @ 15 and 43.25 Β Long off tee, longest for me off deck and will stick to greens

5 wd @Β 18 and 42.5 Β Easy off the deck, high and sticks on a green

7 wd @Β 22 and Β 41.25 Easy to elevate over tall buildings;Β  or 4Hy @ 22 @ 39.5 Β 

5hy @Β 25 deg and 38.75

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

I used to carry 3w and 5w, then I dropped 3w for a bit because I wasn't accurate enough to avoid trouble going for a par 5 with it. Then I dropped 5w because it wasn't significantly longer than my 3h and tended to be more prone to spraying off a sloping lie and I could hit a 'cut'Β driver to about the same distance. Now I've put 3w back in the bag so I can work on those fairway shots from awkward lies where I need distance and to practice with it off the tee.

I like the idea of the 4w, but won't be able to find a 'match' for the old clubs I'm using. Maybe someday when I update my set.

Kevin

My first set of clubs had a 3w and a 5w. The 5w was only a few yards longer than my 3h, so I switched them out for a 4w. It works much better in terms ofΒ distance gaps.

- John

One 16.5* Fairway, next club a 3H. I found the 4 wood much more forgiving both off the tee and the deck, whilst still able to be significantly longer than the 3H. If I further improve my swing perhaps I'll consider going 3W and then revisit the 5W or 3H question, but very happy with what it is for now.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Mr. DesmondΒ Β  You sir are an old geezer .But............... coming from an older geezer I will see your 3,5 and 7 woods and raise you 3Β  9 woods!!

One is a short woman's 9 woodΒ good for about 150, one is a normal 9 wood good for about 160 and a longish one good for about 170. What these youngsters don't understand is we rarely swing these woods faster than say a pedestrian 8 iron. We may be off line a touch from time too time but we never miss hit them.Used to beΒ I worried about miss hitting a 3,4 or 5 iron, but those distances ( mostly 160-200 ) are really of no concern, as the only concern for me at least is making a nice smooth turn.Β  I even have a 13 wood Β (not in play YET) that I got from Thomas golf. I wanted to send it back because I only got about 140 yds. with it. They told me to keep it and that I would grow into it!! The bast................was right I fear.

Β 

Β 

I have one,14.5 degrees and my next club is an 18 degree hybrid.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Oh man I have so many clubs it's ridiculous. Loft isn't always the solution finding the right shaft and optimizingΒ that with your headΒ will produce so many different results some will be so similar while other will be way different. I had a burner 18 deg head on a xx steel shaft shortened it went 215 yards with a tail fade because it was so stiff. Overall The best combo for me is a 16 deg titleistΒ with a reg flex diamana shaft and a 15 deg x steel CallawayΒ with an aldila stiffer shaft. For me it gaps it 4 degrees when it's technically just one,butΒ because of the shafts the ball flight and tempo of my swing makes the distances work the way I want.

Edited by Mike Boatright

Mr. DesmondΒ Β  You sir are an old geezer .But............... coming from an older geezer I will see your 3,5 and 7 woods and raise you 3Β  9 woods!!

One is a short woman's 9 woodΒ good for about 150, one is a normal 9 wood good for about 160 and a longish one good for about 170. What these youngsters don't understand is we rarely swing these woods faster than say a pedestrian 8 iron. We may be off line a touch from time too time but we never miss hit them.Used to beΒ I worried about miss hitting a 3,4 or 5 iron, but those distances ( mostly 160-200 ) are really of no concern, as the only concern for me at least is making a nice smooth turn.Β  I even have a 13 wood Β (not in play YET) that I got from Thomas golf. I wanted to send it back because I only got about 140 yds. with it. They told me to keep it and that I would grow into it!! The bast................was right I fear.

Β 

Β 

Older than most here, but fairways are making a comeback in some places.

I still use a 3 wood and 5 wood (as does Tiger Woods when he is not recovering from his most recent surgery), and I'm not big on hybrids below 22 degrees. Still use stiff flex shafts. I find a 7 wood much easier to use at 41-41.5 in, but it must be accurate. Installing a used Diamana I'lima 70g in the 7 wd - low torque, soft top, firm mid section. I can hit a 5i and 6i, but I find the XR and Bobby Jones Black hybrids easier, higher, farther.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

I've got one 15-degree fairway wood, and carry a 17-degree hybrid.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I have a 3-wood set at 15 degrees and a Hybrid set at 17.5 degrees.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Right now I don't have any. Previously I had a 5 wood but that went away with the rest of my clubs not long ago. Right now I wouldn't get another 5 wood because I found that the 5 wood and my hybrid were going pretty much the same distance. If I get another fairway wood it will most likely be a 4 wood to better fit the gap between my hybrid and driver.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

No driver in the bag for me...Tour Logic 13* off tee and in fairways...I also have a Cleveland Black 3W at 15* that I like to hit off FW's and out of rough......Dropping the Driver and using the 13* off tee has improved my FW's hit from like 4 around to 8 or 9.Β 

An adjustable fairway is a good club to Β haveΒ 

3 wd that's lofted from 14-17; orΒ 

5 wd that's lofted from 17-20. It is essentially a 4 wood, 5 wd, or a weak 5 wd.

Β 

I think shaft length and balance leave guys shaking their heads with fairways -- I've found that lighter swingweights, lighter headweight,Β and traditional lengths or even .5 less than traditional length give most golfers a better chance.

A 3 wood at 42.5-43 and D1

5 wd at 42-42.5 and D1

A lighter head helps one get through the hitting zone faster - it's a balance.

Β 

Β 

No driver in the bag for me...Tour Logic 13* off tee and in fairways...I also have a Cleveland Black 3W at 15* that I like to hit off FW's and out of rough......Dropping the Driver and using the 13* off tee has improved my FW's hit from like 4 around to 8 or 9.Β 

You can't argue with fairways hit, but don't you miss the Big Dog??Β  My guess is it's either a fun factor or a result factor. You will definitely get your hdcp down to 15 much faster your way, butΒ this whole industry is built on distance, come on son get on board. At the very least carry one (declare it out of play, if you have toΒ ) so you can get in the odd practice with itΒ  from time to time. If it's a matter of lost golf balls just walk along the right edge of the fairway from about 180-220yds out, and you'll find all the balls you can carry.

I am thinking about giving up the 5 wood, at least for now.

All Adams Speedline pretty much.

Currently my bag has: Β 11* 460 CC driver that sounds like a bazooka when I hit it. 15* 3W 43 inch shaft. Β 17* 5W (website has a typo for length of shaft). Β Adams Idea Super S 19* 3H. Β I also have a 5H that came with the iron set and then 6-SW. Β 

Friday and Sunday I hit my 3W pretty good and straight. Β Friday I hit it at least 220 yards or more on one, I could not believe it. Β I cannot hit my 5W to save my life however, so hopefully in my next two lessons we can address it. Β If I still can't hit it, I might as well take it out because the I hit the 3H almost as far as the rare time I do hit the 5W and I am hitting the 3W pretty well. Β That could leave some room for a few different options.

Note:Β This thread is 3113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!