IGNORED

How many fairway woods? Which ones and why?

Note: This thread is 3108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Number of Fairway Woods do you have in your bag?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How many fairway woods do you use?

• None
    • 4 or more

Just a 15o 3W for me.  I jump right to 3i from there.  I found I was never hitting anything in between those 2 ever so I opted for the extra wedge.  I will swap the 3W for a 2i (adams proto driving iron) if it's really windy so I guess sometimes the answer is 0.  But usually the 2i stays in the truck and it's the 3W.

Edited by bradsul

Brad

18 degree Rocketballz 5w for me. I got rid of the 3w because I just wasn't consistent off the deck with it. Goes just as far as my 3w but much, much more consistent. Also have a 22 degree 4h to fill the gap between 5w and 5i.

3W, because then I don't need to use my driver from the fairway?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a 3W that I can hit 190-200'ish 

I have a 5-7W'ish that I can hit 180-190+"ish (I put 'ish on the wood because it is adjustable, just don't remember the degree at the moment) 

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Used 3W and 5W from 1994 (yes, I changed clubs a couple of times) to 2012. Since then, it's been 4W and 7W. Circa 2009, I tried an offbrand 3H and a TM Raylor as a substitute for 5W, with mixed results.

4W launches better for me than most 3Ws; this made the 5W was too close in loft, so I went up one to 7W.

4W goes about 210; 7W about 190 (and is great out of the rough!).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I usually play a 16* 3 wood and 19* 5 wood.  I do take the 3 wood out sometimes if I want to put another club in my bag for some reason. 

3 wood goes 240-250.  Great off the tee and almost as good off the deck.  Just wish I could carry it a little farther... a little lower and more roll out than the 5 wood.

The 5 wood goes 220-230.  It launches higher and is great off the deck and great off the tee as well.

My next club club is a a mix of hybrids that go 200-210 or so.

I have an RBZ 3W but I only use it off the tee so I don't think you can really call it a "Fairway" wood in my hands.

I used to have a 5W but the RBZ 3H goes further and has more manageable misses so that was a no brainer as my "longest off the turf club" (200-215 or so)

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I carry two in my bag.  One is almost never used off the fairway and reserved  for tee shots only.  It is a Stage 2 Tour TS 13* that I've turned down a degree or two to open up the face.  I've reshafted it with a RIP Alphs Xstiff and love it off the tee when a tighter tee shot is required,  It's only failing is that sometimes it is too long.

The other is a RBZ Tour 5 wood 18* with a Xstiff Matrix Ozik in it and it is pretty much reserved for off the deck shots.  After using it yesterday off the deck I decided that I should use it more than I have been.

My Hybrid is a Stage 2 4H at 21* but also turned down a degree or two and has a 80g. Stiff TM TP shaft in it.  

I came to the conclusion that I had been using the hybrid too much off the deck and in situations where I thought the lie wasn't perfect.  After smoking some shots with the  5 wood I know now I should hit it more and from my difficult lies where before I thought only the hybrid was the correct club.

A 15* Goldwin 3W I use off the tee for doglegs left.  About 235 yards.  This club I can really hook.  Can't get any height off the deck.

A 15* Ping K15 that is great of the deck (sucks off the tee).  Usually about 225 yards.

A 21* 5W for 190-215 yards.

I have a 23* 4H, but I don't count that as a fairway wood.  This one may be going to time out.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Right now I have a 13° and 18° woods in the bag.  I do not have good luck with the 13° off the deck so I use the 18°.  I hit them halfway decent off from a tee.  If the ball is sitting up in the rough I will use the 18° without hesitation.  I also have been swapping a 17° and 21° hybrid in and out of the bag and when I get comfortable with them I can see the 18° wood sitting it out.  The distances between the 17° hybrid and 18° wood favors the wood by about 15 yards when struck cleanly.

Edit:  Clubs are Nike Covert Tour models so the lofts can be adjusted. 

Edited by Judah Ben-Hur
Club description

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

just 1 fairway - an 18 degree 5 wood. I find I can hit it almost as far as my old 3 wood off the tee, and it works a lot better off the fairway. Next longest club is a 21 degree hybrid, so the distance gapping is ok.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I  have my Cobra 8 degree driver, then jump to a 13.5 degree Cleveland  3 wood ( it works like a mini driver ) , but can be hit from fairway.

Next is a Cobra Amp cell 3-4 wood set to 4 wood, and last a Cobra amp cell 5-7 wood set to 6 wood.

The course that I am a member at is perfect for these clubs. This set-up allows me to get on the green  with my tee shot, on the long par3's and some short par 4's.

Jack

Jack

Note: This thread is 3108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!