IGNORED

Do You Use a Divot Repair Tool?

TigonWoods
Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Divot tool?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a divot tool?

• Yes
    • No, I use a tee

Am I wrong here?  Is a divot actually defined as ANY kind of club or ball damage.  I thought it was just that strip of sod I take when I hit a good shot or a heavy shot. 

I'd love to see someone use a pronged ballmark repair tool and fix one of those beaver pelts I take when I hit a wedge shot fat.

When vendors take a "ball mark repair tool" and call it a "divot" repair tool, I wonder if they are knowledgable enough to be making or selling the thing.

that said - attached is my ball mark repair tool.  I like the compact form and the integrated marker (WinCraft makes these)

MWSnap 2015-10-05, 10_09_23.jpg

MWSnap 2015-10-05, 10_16_10.jpg

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To me divots are not the same thing as pitch/ball marks.  I always carry my pitch fork and repair my and others marks.  Most golfers do as I have seen.

Divots on the other hand, most golfers I have seen just leave the big holes in the fairway.  You should find it, put it back in the hole, or at the very least fill it with sand.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

And for divot repair, from the USGA:

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Divots on the other hand, most golfers I have seen just leave the big holes in the fairway.  You should find it, put it back in the hole, or at the very least fill it with sand.

I am a firm believer that if you take a big divot, you should fill the flaw with sand/seed mix, and then wear the pelt like a toupee for at least one full hole of play.  Large ones should be brought home and mounted on a plaque above the fireplace.

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

Sure I fix a couple on every green even if I don't make a mark, which is often. The sharp, two pronged thin metal type works best. My pre-round routine includes exchanging all my non-golf items from my pockets for my repair tool. Those are usually inexpensive. The course logo funky faux brass ones are always overpriced. I have a couple switchblade one too.

Edited by Dave2512

Dave :-)

I always fix my bask mark, any around it, and any bear the line of my putts. It's just considerate for the next golfer and each one takes five seconds, tops.

IMHO a divot is any damage  caused by club, or ball to the playing turf. Fairway or green it is damage to the playing surface. I supposed it could be argued that the two prong tool we use on the green should be called a "dent fixer".    :-D:-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

IMHO a divot is any damage  caused by club, or ball to the playing turf. Fairway or green it is damage to the playing surface. I supposed it could be argued that the two prong tool we use on the green should be called a "dent fixer".    :-D:-D

I don't think it's an official definition just because it's in italics......:-D

here's one from the top of a search on it.  your mileage might vary

But the history of the term came from when Scots used a square of turf (a divot) as roofing materials.

Divot from a dictionary site

MWSnap 2015-10-05, 10_16_10.jpg

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Pitch mark tool. Like most others, I fix mine and those of others who are less considerate. I'd learned the way shown above and believe it to be the correct method. 

I like having to use the tool, it's usually the result of a successful approach shot.:dance:

Interesting conversation with the manager (an ex tour player) and head groundskeeper at a local course about fixing ball marks. When I mentioned there was a right way and wrong way to fix pitch marks, the manager said "yeah, you just pry up to get rid of the indentation". I didn't want to get into an argument (WTF do I know?), but simply said I thought that did more damage to the roots than simply pushing the grass back towards the center (usually it's built up on one side). The groundskeeper seemed hesitant to say anything.

Jon

I have 3 or 4 in my golf bag, and always fix my mark and a couple more.  If you're a member of USGA, they'll send you a new one every  spring, along with a hat and a new copy of the rules.  Mine are all the 2-prong variety, and I don't think I've bought one for decades.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I actually collect repair tools (from courses I play)... I'll pay about $15 for good ones.  I prefer the ones that have a ball mark and clip.  I keep it on my right pocket it makes for super easy access without digging in the pocket and the ball mark is already right there.  I feel stupid without one on my pocket and I always use it!

Kudos to @Mr. Desmond for posting those Videos.  I wish more people fixed their marks properly.  It really does help the greens. 

I like the ones like this:

227x213xgd0961f-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eYs_a

Edited by JP golf
  • Upvote 1

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

but of course.

I've got a Swiss army knife type of divot tool that I got as a gift.  It retracts and also has ball marker.  Because it retracts when not in use, it does not damage the inside of my pant pocket.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. No doubt it's coming.

or maybe it's a prelude to someone requesting our input for a 'college paper'..........THEN a stupid sales pitch

Bill - 

I use this style divot tool.  I think they are 2 or 3 bucks at many of the golf courses I play. 

divot tool.JPG

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

What is the most you would pay for a divot tool?

I have a friend that bought one for $69 but it's pretty high end and he tells me it adds a little something to his green game.

-Tigon Woods

This is his post in the club cleaning thread. Sales pitch definitely incoming.

I have always fixed my ball marks. I use a tool and a tee. Just depends on whether I remember to put the tool in my pocket or not. Most of the time, I will always fix extra marks while I'm waiting on others to put or while they are reading their putts.

I'm also big on fixing divots in the fairway since I'm usually the unlucky one in the group to land in them...frustrating.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!