IGNORED

Application as a caddy at a golf course in America

Jacques Barnard
Note: This thread is 3084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How long you wait depends on the topic and the members that are currently browsing the forum.

I "worked" as a caddy this last summer, but I wasn't able to get anyone to caddy for whenever I was scheduled to show up. Caddies, at least in the mid-west, are becoming an increasingly rare commodity for courses since many players in the U.S. prefer to use an electric or gas golf cart instead. Your best bet would likely be at one of the higher end private clubs, though those can be hard to find in certain areas (such as the midwest) within a reasonable distance of where you live.

Your best bet would be if you lived in an area such as Myrtle Beach, where there is a large number of golf courses that are all higher end courses that may have jobs to forecaddy for groups of golfers in carts. This is more common than a traditional caddying job, and requires that you tend to the needs of all four golfers in a group (telling them points to aim off the tee, wiping down their clubs between holes, raking bunkers, tending flags, etc.) rather than carrying the bag of a single golfer and tending to his needs.

Edited by Pretzel

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I assume you are a caddy now. Does the pro where you work, or used to work in RSA, know any pros in America that he would verbally recommend you to? Would he write a letter of recommendation for you? I agree with Pretzel, your best bet is old money high end private courses, in most larger cities there are some but hard to get into, I would think a letter of recommendation would help.

If you are already here in the USA, google private golf courses where you live, get some phone numbers and try to set up some appointments. Good luck.

Steve

So I need a private club somewhere in the east, cant i send my CV somewhere.

The likelihood is that most places will request you already have a visa arranged before you apply to work there. Most places prefer not to have a worker that may or may not be able to work for them, depending on if a visa is approved. 

Another job you could look at, that is much more common and I have worked in the past, is that of a groundskeeper or someone in outsider services. I worked in the maintenance crew of my local golf course for the last two years, as well as outside services (which helps to organize events, wash carts, pick the driving range, general cleaning/basic repairs around the clubhouse, etc.), and it is a much more consistent job than caddying would be.

One other thing to note is that many courses in the U.S. prefer to hire caddies that are currently students in middle or high school so that they can prepare the student for earning an Evan's Scholarship. These caddies often receive preference if a person is seeking a caddy, because the person who is pursuing an Evan's Scholarship needs to have a minimum number of documented loops before they can be considered for the scholarship. Adults tend to have a harder time finding a job as a caddy for this reason compared to those who are still students.

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 1

I see, thank you again. This helps alot.

I have a friend that works at Alabama at shoal creek, he says I should just come, he will sort me out. Is this a safe option, cause i do not want to fly across the whole planet and not have a job.

I did email my CV to the right person, but no reply.

Any suggestions .

I have a friend that works in Alabama at Shoal Creek, he said i must just come, he will sort me out. I don't want to fly across the planet and not have a job. I did send my CV to the right person at the golf course, but no reply.

What do you guys have to say

he says I should just come, he will sort me out. Is this a safe option, cause i do not want to fly across the whole planet and not have a job.

That would something to make sure you clarify with your friend. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't know anything about your personal situation, so I wouldn't presume to give you any firm advice. However, caddies, as far as I know, are one of two things generally. 1) Extremely skilled golfers who caddy for the top professional golfers or 2) kids. Of course, the extreme majority of every-day golfers either walk or ride the motor carts.

If you love caddying, more power to you. Maybe  you have some other reasons for wanting to come to the U.S. I'm just not sure it is much of a career move.

• 1 month later...

There are a couple of different options. First, there are  caddie companies that provide caddies for courses all over the US and internationally. This past season I worked with Caddie Master who provides the caddies for Augusta, Pebble Beach, and TPC Sawgrass (along with almost all of the TPC's) among others. Simply apply with them for any of their courses.

Option 2 is that some courses run their own caddie program. Just call the course and ask for the caddie manager and then proceed from there.

Option 3 - many events provide opportunities for caddies. For example, several state and/or regional opens may provide opportunities. You can contact the state/regional body, and provide your information. Then if someone who is playing in the given tournament requests a caddie, they will help out the player and caddie together. Obviously, this is more of a one-off option. However, if you want to not just caddie for a local course, but potentially make it to the big leagues this is the way to go. Try to get on the bag of an up and coming player, and build a relationship. 

When it comes to looping on a major tour, it comes down to luck and who you know. I have talked to several PGA and LPGA players about their caddies, and the most common answer I have gotten was, "I needed a knew guy, and someone introduced me to my caddie."

None of these answers help with obtaining a work visa though. Sorry. 

Note: This thread is 3084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!