IGNORED

Rotator cuff question

mmoan2
Note: This thread is 2941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After fighting off back problems due to overexertion (just joined a gym after a 20 year hiatus and got carried away), I just tore my rotator cuff in my right arm now overdoing it in the swimming pool. It's a minor tear luckily, but it's a pain in the, well, shoulder! Can anyone share advice/experience about how long it would be prudent to wait before golfing again due to this injury? By the time my doc can get me in, I'm hoping I'm cured. I think 40 hit me harder than most... Thanks

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not far away from 40. It's not the years but the mileage. Sports gave me two bad knees a bad hip and a bad shoulder. Takes time to heal and for me I almost always feel it. Had a flare up recently and its agitated.

The one that is really bothering me is the intercostal tear in the ribs on my right hand side from trying to go out and swing like I am in my twenties without warming up. It's been months and it still lets me know it is there. I'd say ice it frequently and light stretching when you can. Ibuprofen and naproxen sodium (alleve) for pain and inflammation for a bit but try to stop after a few days as ibuprofen slows healing. Give it time, don't forget your stretches before working out. Good luck. 

After fighting off back problems due to overexertion (just joined a gym after a 20 year hiatus and got carried away), I just tore my rotator cuff in my right arm now overdoing it in the swimming pool. It's a minor tear luckily, but it's a pain in the, well, shoulder! Can anyone share advice/experience about how long it would be prudent to wait before golfing again due to this injury? By the time my doc can get me in, I'm hoping I'm cured. I think 40 hit me harder than most... Thanks

Pain and soreness are the best indicators. Are you doing any exercises to strengthen it or just resting? Tears don't heal themselves quickly because that area doesn't get a lot of blood flow and it is easy to injure it again because we use our arms for everything. Best advice is to ask your doctor when you see them and be patient!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Id sugest getting it looked at asap. It might me a niggle now but if it deterorates then surgery is the best option. I work for J&J (DepuySynthes) medical here in the UK and we loan out a lot of the Mitek Healix Advance knotless anchor kits for repairing rotator cuffs so its a common procedure. 

Speak to your doctor and see have bad it is, it may just need rest and a bit of Physio. If worst case and you are refered there is a lot of good info on our company website such as surgical techniques and patient feedback

My fingers are crossed for you mate!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Well, instead of asking a bunch of strangers about medical advice for a critical stabilizing joint, just wait until you consult the doctor.

After you recover, this is a great book for the RC.  "The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution"  I'd say only one of the recommended exercises in the different workouts has been modified by physical therapists in the last 20 years.  It has workouts for recovery, maintenance for fit and not so fit people, and for body builders.

It is a bunch of tiny muscles, it doesn't take much to keep them strong, but it also doesn't take much neglect for them to wane as well.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

(edited)

Thanks guys. I'm writing now with a big ice pack on my arm. Lamenting that I put my golf bag in the garage for a few weeks...

Edited by mmoan2

• 4 months later...

I just got back from my 8 week follow up visit with the doc after my RC surgery on December 18th.  I can now drive (my car) and have orders for the therapist to start some strength training.  I am looking at sometime around June before I can think about golf again.  Don't put it off, go to the doctor and get checked out.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

• 1 month later...

To help increase mobility and and reduce the pain and stiffness during the recovery period, focus on things that increase the blood flow (but with minimal strain). I recommend treatments that don't require a lot of exertion in being able to do so. Things such as massage therapy, ultrasound, BFST, acupuncture, etc. These types of treatment give you the nutrients and oxygen you need to heal but reduce the risk factors involved with a lot of physical activity. It's also very important to follow anything physical with a cold compress. If the area is inflamed it hinders the blood flow even more than it would typically. Get the inflammation down, then increase the circulation. All the best with your recovery.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!