IGNORED

Anyone else find it hard to not buy certain golf clubs?

dsal89
Note: This thread is 3078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are there golf related items that you just have a tendency to buy more of than you need?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are there golf related items that you just have a tendency to buy more of than you need?

• Drivers
    • Fairway woods/Hybrids
    • Irons
    • Wedges
    • Putters
    • Balls
    • Apparel
    • No/None of the Above

I'm not one to buy into the hype for the brand new driver or iron set or things of that nature (though I do tend to act too quickly and regret a purchase, I.e my iron set. I've been hitting my g25 irons nicely but I just don't like the look honestly) every two years I'll get the new cobra driver because I just love the looks of them and I'm exactly what companies look for in a consumer. 

With itch that being said, I love putters, everything from pings, taylormadd, Scottys, I currently game a Kingston handmade putter and I love it. Since getting my gamer I haven't bought a new putter since. 

I'm pretty happy with how my putting has been this year (though there is always room for improvement) but I always get the urge to buy a new putters. Not sure why, maybe it's the fact that the putter is my favorite club in the bag and I love shiny things. 

So, are there golf related items that you just have a tendency to buy more of than you need (with the exception of golf balls)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted for irons because I certainly have more than I need. I know a lot of golfers are probably the opposite, they can stick with the same irons for years but I like switching it up and love getting a new set more than any other piece of equipment. 

For me it used to be putters, I'd switch several times a year, mallet, blades, different grips, etc. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm trying out my collection of old putters trying to find one I like.  I have about a dozen lined up against the wall of my office.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Vintage persimmon woods and old forged blades have a way of following me home. Fortunately(or unfortunately) I have been paying about $3 per club.

Edited by dbuck

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I buy ~ 20 boxes of premium urathane golf balls when they go on sale.  I don't like playing non-urathane balls and I refuse to pay 40+ dollars for a box of premium balls.  I have done this with Nike One Black, Nike Tour D, TM Penta3, and Z-star.  I pay an average of 25$ a box the way I currently buy them up.

I don't know if this is being thrifty, obsessive compulsive, or being stubborn.  :)

Picking from that list, I have to say balls. I have had the same set of irons for probably 12-15 years or so.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Wedges. I just seem to have a lot of them lying around. Always looking for that perfect mix of lofts, grinds, and bounce angles. They're just so easy to swap around.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Irons for me. Just last week I had an urge to pick up another vintage set or possibly replace my Hogans with a different set.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a sucker for a fairway wood.  Somewhere out there there's the magical FW that I can hit straight with 200 yards of carry 80% of the time.  Until I find it, there's always another out there to try.

Ahh, hope springs eternal...........

I'm a sucker for a fairway wood.  Somewhere out there there's the magical FW that I can hit straight with 200 yards of carry 80% of the time.  Until I find it, there's always another out there to try.

Ahh, hope springs eternal...........

Callaway V Series 15.5 3 wood. callawaygolfpreowned.com

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I voted for putters. I've spent so much time looking for one that will work for me. I've even made some heads myself from hardware store parts. I would never stick with one for more than a few months.

I've finally settled on just two, a Ping Anser 5K and a Bettinardi Baby Ben that are set up almost identically except that one's a blade with no alignment line and one is a mallet with a long, bold line. Now I just switch between the two when I feel like I need a change.

All of the above, and my wife is getting a little pissed about all the clubs in the garage. My problem now is that I finally have a set of clubs, (driver,3W, 5W, hybrids, irons and putter), that I really like and fit my game, I don't have anything else that I really need! I guess I need to sell some clubs just to have an excuse to buy more.

I bought too many drivers this year ... the Callaway V Series, XR, and 815, and had the ups and downs -- needed more practical adjustment ... and then Callaway finally came out with the one, the GBB. Greatness ... for me.

Still, I've heard great things about the new Cobra King.... lol.

I once bought too much ... and sold when buying new. But now, every hole is filled. Once you know your game, trust yourself, know what you want, get custom fit with quality, then you come to a point where you might make a few tweaks, but now can spend most of your time playing and enjoying the game. Admittedly, it is not an easy road.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Well, according to the 6 drivers in MY closet, 2 at a buddies house and at least 5 in Florida at my Dad's place, I'll go with Balls.... :-P

I tend to stick with putters, only really used about 4 in 40+ years of playing, latest being a 2 ball Odyssey from several years ago, longest was a Ping Anser 2 that I used for over 20 years.

Irons and Wedges are the same way, I like 'em, I'll use them until they're practically smooth. 

Don't use hybrids, and fairway woods I'll use if I find a decent one.

I don't specifically go out and buy "apparel" specific for golf, so that's out.

The one thing you can't have enough of, is balls. But again, I'll buy a dozen or two in the spring and that will hold me for awhile until I need more. 

I buy ~ 20 boxes of premium urathane golf balls when they go on sale.  I don't like playing non-urathane balls and I refuse to pay 40+ dollars for a box of premium balls.  I have done this with Nike One Black, Nike Tour D, TM Penta3, and Z-star.  I pay an average of 25$ a box the way I currently buy them up.

I don't know if this is being thrifty, obsessive compulsive, or being stubborn.  :)

Seems pretty savvy to me.

• Upvote 1

Putters for me.  I don't know what it is but I love to switch the feel and look of my putter.  It's like it almost helps to keep me focused and concentrate on what I'm doing.  I pretty much stick to mallets for alignment help.  I keep telling myself that I don't need that 33" Scotty x5 with a Superstroke Flatso 2.0...     Yep, just this conversation has me about to drive out and go get one!

Edited by JP golf

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 3078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!