IGNORED

President's Cup Matches Discussion Thread

Natural Patrick
Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

Furyk is out, Holmes is in.

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Adam Scott seems to have ditched the long putter.
http://www.presidentscup.com/news/2015/10/05/adam-scott-presidents-cup-putter.html

The head of Scott's new putter is the same Scotty Cameron prototype that he's used in his long putter since the U.S. Open, he said.

“I felt as comfortable as with the (long putter)," Scott said. "The way I think about it, I putt with just the left hand anyway and that’s where it comfortably sat on this particular putter. It feels the same as I did in Doral, and the motion feels very similar to putting with the longer putter, as well, kind of mimicking it without it up in the chest.”

Scott started the year with a short putter and "claw" grip." He finished T4 in his first tournament of the year, the World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship at Trump National Doral, but quickly struggled with the putter and returned to the long putter for the Masters. He used the long putter at The Barclays.

“I think this is a more permanent move this time,” Scott said. “I think I just have to stick with it now and get good at it.”

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

They announce the first matches today, right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Presidents Cup Could Feature Golf’s No. 1 vs. No. 2 [NYT]

Captains talking but not saying much about desired 1 vs 2 pairing. 

A Spieth-Day duel would presumably require Price’s approval. Price is captain of the International team again after serving in that role in 2013 when Woods-versus-Scott failed to materialize.

“I did my pairings this morning to try to win the Cup, not to put 1 and 2 together,” Price said after the Americans had wrapped up an 18½-15½ victory in 2013 at Muirfield Village.

He later added: “You can’t go to your opposing captain and say, ‘Let’s put Adam and Tiger together.’ Maybe the commissioner could do that, but I’m not going to do it.”

But with a more open draw and a less cutthroat vibe than at the Ryder Cup, the possibility is certainly there for the captains to make such a joint call.

“We’d have to have some kind of agreement or some kind of wink-wink to make this happen,” Haas said. “But I think the world — the golf world — would want to see it, and they’ve been kind of back and forth all year, so you never know.”

“I have not spoken to Nick about it,” he added. “I know the players would love it. Neither one of them is scared of the other one, and I don’t think either one of them would say, ‘Aw, why did you do that?’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/07/sports/golf/presidents-cup-could-feature-golfs-no-1-vs-no-2.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Foursomes matchups.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/2015-presidents-cup-thursday-foursomes-pairings/?cid=golfchannel_majorshomepage_presidents_cup_leadcontent_position_1_article_headeline

The 11th edition of the Presidents Cup gets underway Thursday at Jack Nicklaus Golf Club Korea in Incheon, South Korea, where the U.S. will face off against the Internationals. The first tee time will be 10:05 p.m. ET Wednesday night (11:05 a.m. local time). Here are the opening pairings for Thursday foursomes:

Match 1:

Bubba Watson and J.B. Holmes vs. Adam Scott and Hideki Matsuyama

Match 2:

Matt Kuchar and Patrick Reed vs. Louis Oosthuizen and Branden Grace

Match 3:

Rickie Fowler and Jimmy Walker vs. Anirban Lahiri and Thongchai Jaidee

Match 4:

Phil Mickelson and Zach Johnson vs. Jason Day and Steven Bowditch

Match 5: 

Danny Lee and Marc Leishman vs. Jordan Spieth and Dustin Johnson

Bill Haas and Chris Kirk are the two players who won't be playing the opening foursomes for the U.S. squad. For the Internationals, Sangmoon Bae and Charl Schwartzel will be sitting out the match.

Mike McLoughlin

Couple thoughts:

1.  Believe each of the US partnerships are 1st time they've teamed up.  Would rather have seen Phil with Rickie and Spieth with Reid but no real complaints until I see them play, a few just seem a little awkward.

2.  Surprised Bae sitting given that he's won on that course twice, I figured he'd get 5 matches there.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

A visual of the pairings. 

image.jpeg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

What is the rallying cry for the International team?

"LETS GO DEFEAT THOSE AMERICAN BASTARDS!!"

or 

"Lets win this one for the rest of the world, minus Europe!!"

I don't think talent is the issue for the American domination but rather the lack of community for the International squad.

• Upvote 1

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

(edited)

Some course photos (no golfers):

http://imgur.com/a/qZ01c

Edited by nevets88

Steve

I am interested in the President's Cup matches for a couple reasons, but mostly I want to see Jordan Speith v. Jason Day.  Does anyone else feel the same way?  What are you most interested in seeing throughout the week?  

I do not personally think that the Pres. Cup will ever be on the level of the Ryder Cup, not sure why, maybe its just the history involved.  It has a different feel, but it just doesn't get the same recognition as the Ryder Cup.

Any predictions?   I've got it as USA 18-16! 

Sidenote:  How awesome that it is going to be on Primetime??

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

I am interested in the President's Cup matches for a couple reasons, but mostly I want to see Jordan Speith v. Jason Day.  Does anyone else feel the same way?  What are you most interested in seeing throughout the week?  

I do not personally think that the Pres. Cup will ever be on the level of the Ryder Cup, not sure why, maybe its just the history involved.  It has a different feel, but it just doesn't get the same recognition as the Ryder Cup.

Any predictions?   I've got it as USA 18-16! 

Sidenote:  How awesome that it is going to be on Primetime??

From the sound of the Captains they don't seem super eager to match Day vs. Speith.  I hope it happens though!

And it doesnt have the same feel because there is not a common opponent to root against.  We are supposed to be rooting against anybody who is not American?  That is pretty vague.  At least with the Ryder Cup, you are rooting against Europe.  

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Too bad this isn't the Ryder Cup! USA coming out strong.

Lefty's wedge game travels well. (Phil holed-out from a bunker for birdie at No. 13.) #PresidentsCup

A photo posted by Golf Channel (@golfchannel) on

Mike McLoughlin

(edited)

So you have US vs Europeans, US vs Int'l. Just curious if Int'l vs Europeans was ever considered? Is there a market for it? 

In all fairness, they did spell the name right on later in the vid.

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 8.10.52 AM.png

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!