IGNORED

Advice on Clubs and Distances

Note: This thread is 3120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am new here to the forum, and just mapped out my idea of what I want to do with my clubs.

Golf Club                    Make        Model        Loft            Length        Carry (yards)       Range (yards)

Driver                          Tec +        Matrix        10.5°         42.50”        250                            250+

3   Wood                     PING        i3               14.0°         43.00”        225                           225-250

3   Hybrid                    TaylorMadeJetSpeed 19.0°         40.00”        210                          200-220

4   Iron                         PING        Eye            25.0°         38.25”        190                          185-200

5   Iron                         PING        Eye            28.5°         37.75”        180                          175-190

6   Iron                         PING        Eye            32.0°         37.25”        170                          170-185

7   Iron                         PING        Eye            36.0°         36.75”        160                          150-170

8   Iron                         PING        Eye            40.0°         36.25”        150                          140-155

9   Iron                         PING        Eye            45.0°         35.75”        140                          130-150

47 Wedge                    PING        Tour S        47.0°        35.50”        130                          100-130

52 Wedge                    PING        Tour S        52.0°        35.50”        115                          100-115

S   Wedge                    PING        Eye            57.5°        35.25”        100                           80-100

60 Wedge                     PING       Tour S       60.0°        35.00”         90                               90-

I have everything here except for the 47 Ping Tour S Wedge, which is apparently extremely more rare then the other ones. 

I very much like most of the clubs listed here, I was able to get both the 52 and 60 wedges for very good prices. The Hybrid and Driver are the most recent additions. The idea here was to go drop the 3 Iron and i3 5 Wood from my set and be able to pick up the additional 47 wedge. The Hybrid was used and a very good deal, feels good so far. The Driver I am not completely sold on yet, it was very cheap but the reviews were absolutely fantastic. Figured that I could actually try to carry and use a driver on longer and wider par 4's and 5's. Until now I've usually played the 3 wood off the tee to about 225. The hope would be to get a better driver and hybrid in the future, but for now these are the clubs I have.

I'm looking for general advice and some examination of the data in this table. Does everything look decent to your eyes? Maybe comments on loft, carry, range, club choice, etc. AT this point anything will be considered helpful.

Thank you very much in advance for responses.

(edited)

Welcome to the forum @pacnwgolfer

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! What matters is whether this set looks good to you not us. We all have our own preferences for feel, looks, performance, etc. As for the 47, you could just have a 46 or 48 bent. 

Have you hit all these clubs?

Edited by boogielicious

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah the 47 just so happens to be the lowest loft they offer for the tour s wedge, preferably I could get it bent to 48, that is really the ideal loft.

Other then the 47 wedge I have hit all of these, some more then others. Thinking this will be a good setup for a guy like me who plays pretty consistently in the summer months, but doesn't need to blow a bunch of money on super high end and new equipment. Most of these clubs are at least a few years old which is something I kind of like, it keeps the cost down compared to new clubs. 

The carry distances I have are relatively solid, but I'm wondering if there may be a distance gap between the 4 iron/3 Hybrid, as well as between the 3 Wood/3 Hybrid. The 3 Hybrid is gonna be a versatile club, I'm gonna need to work on being able to hit a few different kinds of shots with it.

Also didn't mention but I have an Odyssey Dual Force putter.

Yeah the 47 just so happens to be the lowest loft they offer for the tour s wedge, preferably I could get it bent to 48, that is really the ideal loft.

Other then the 47 wedge I have hit all of these, some more then others. Thinking this will be a good setup for a guy like me who plays pretty consistently in the summer months, but doesn't need to blow a bunch of money on super high end and new equipment. Most of these clubs are at least a few years old which is something I kind of like, it keeps the cost down compared to new clubs. 

The carry distances I have are relatively solid, but I'm wondering if there may be a distance gap between the 4 iron/3 Hybrid, as well as between the 3 Wood/3 Hybrid. The 3 Hybrid is gonna be a versatile club, I'm gonna need to work on being able to hit a few different kinds of shots with it.

Also didn't mention but I have an Odyssey Dual Force putter.

Unfortunately, what you want your clubs to do is not always what they actually do. Not clear what you mean by "solid"? I ask because if you really carry 250+ yards on average with driver and hit all your other clubs proportionate to that "solidly", you should be a lot better than a 15 HC?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Which, if any, of these clubs have been properly fit to you?  That's the only way to know for sure if the specs are correct.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Good catch guys, he must have meant 45.5" or something like that?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

After doing a little online research it seems that I was wrong on the driver length, I believe it is 45.00"

Unfortunately, what you want your clubs to do is not always what they actually do. Not clear what you mean by "solid"? I ask because if you really carry 250+ yards on average with driver and hit all your other clubs proportionate to that "solidly", you should be a lot better than a 15 HC?

What I mean by solid is that I am quite sure of the carry figures I have listed for most of these clubs. While there is definitely some variation, for the most part when hitting a club the right way (which doesn't always happen) it should go about that far. So the reason I am not a better handicap is because of a few things, namely accuracy, putting, and consistency with hitting shots. At this time I can hit a driver 250, but do I do it a majority of the time? Probably not, so that is where the work is left to be done.

Which, if any, of these clubs have been properly fit to you?  That's the only way to know for sure if the specs are correct.

None of these clubs have been fit to me, I have merely come into contact with them via online or in store purchase. I have gotten very lucky, I absolutely love the old set of PING Eye's that I have, as well as the Tour S Wedges. The i3 Woods I have I also very much like. In general I'd say I have gotten very lucky when it comes to club selection, and I was curious as to what this community thought of some of the choices.

I can and have hit a driver 240 carry when the power of the good lord compels the club head. I've seen it on Trackman. How often does this happen? Maybe once every couple of sessions I'll really rip one like this (for me), but then I'm a woman. But my average carry is more like 216 on the machine, so I'll use 200 for my carry distance when calculating things like forced carries over water and stuff like that. This makes the average drive around 230 yds.

Welcome to the forum.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!