IGNORED

When am i ready to start playing the longer courses

jryder
Note: This thread is 3082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing about five months play a lot of golf maybe 4-6 rounds a week.. i play a lot of par 60-65 courses and am only twenty five so i usually play 36 holes ie 2 rounds when i do play.. i usually keep it under 90 but have only played a maybe 5 rounds on par 72 courses... when do i know I'm ready to consistently play those longer courses

Edited by jryder

When you tell yourself you are ready. You are the only one who can really answer that question. 

Personally, I  don't think any golfer needs permission from others to play a longer course. You pay your money, and go play like everyone else. If you can't keep the ball in play "most" of the time, just make sure you bring enough balls so you can just drop one, and move on. 

I remember the first time I played a regulation 18. I went out as a single, and was paired with a guy who had his name on his bag. Just a little intimidated I was. He shot par, and I wasn't even close. I think I was already at par on the 13th hole. As we were walking off the 18th green I asked him what he thought of my newby game. "You have a few things to learn" was his answer. :doh:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been playing about five months play a lot of golf maybe 4-6 rounds a week.. i play a lot of par 60-65 courses and am only twenty five so i usually play 36 holes ie 2 rounds when i do play.. i usually keep it under 90 but have only played a maybe 5 rounds on par 72 courses... when do i know I'm ready to consistently play those longer courses

If you are nervous about it, a great way is to go out with a friend and play a scramble or best ball type format together. Both of you can hit off the tee, then go to the best shot and both play from there. When you get to the green, putt out from your own spot.

I've done this with novice friends and it worked great. After a few rounds, they felt confident enough to play their own ball. This approach does two things: it relaxes you because you don't have to worry too much about bad shots and it keeps the pace going so you don't get nervous about holding up groups behind you.

We want to encourage more people to play to grown the game. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just don't do what my buddy did to me. This guy started me on golf. We played two rounds on a par-3 and then he put my butt on one of the tougher courses my area has to offer. I hacked, thrashed, lost more balls that I care to think about and wanted to quit golf afterward. Obviously I didn't. 

Depending on what your area has to offer, I'd say ramp up progressively. Look at the course ratings and pick something that will be a challenge for you without biting off more than you care the chew. Play the shorter tees at first and move back when you at least have a chance at par on most holes.

Also, if you are nervous about it from a pace of play standpoint, late afternoon tee times are the best. Some courses are nearly empty at that point. If nothing else, most of the low-cappers have already rolled around the course, leaving it to us hackers.

Edited by mcanadiens

There shouldn't be anything intimidating about playing a regulation course. You could start off on the forward tees, and work your way back whenever you feel comfortable. You can even move back on random feel good holes while playing the rest forward. Don't worry too much, just keep pace of play up and no one will complain. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As long as you can maintain pace of play, it doesn't matter what you shoot or what other people think.  Think of every shot as a learning experience.  Don't get mad or frustrated.  Enjoy your good shots and drink plenty of beer.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

As long as you can maintain pace of play, it doesn't matter what you shoot or what other people think.  Think of every shot as a learning experience.  Don't get mad or frustrated.  Enjoy your good shots and drink plenty of beer.

If you and I are ever in the same state, we should play a round.

when you can keep up with the group in front of you.  seriously, no one cares how bad anyone is if you can keep up.

Colin P.

If you and I are ever in the same state, we should play a round.

I plan on a vacation to Jamestown NY next summer some time.  There's some good courses in Ohio.  I'd be up for a road trip.  One scramble a few years ago, I drank a case and a half of beer during the round.  Didn't play my finest golf that day.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!