IGNORED

Driver: angle of attack, swing path and the bottom of the swing

WillIamnl
Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

i'm spending a lot of time thinking about the golf swing with the driver.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on:

1)  where does your swing with the driver bottom:

a) in the middle of your stance (similar to your swing with irons)

b) right before the ball, teed up inside your left foot

2) what is the ideal angle of attack - hitting up on the ball or hitting down on the ball?

3) swing path - do you alter your swing path with your driver vs irons? If you hit up on the ball, wont the natural swing path makes you pull thr shot (heading to the left)?

4) tee height - i think a lot of people are in favor of teeing the ball higher (modelling after Bubba) - this makes sure you hit the ball on the upswing - less spin, more distance) - but again, doesnt the natural path of the swing forces the ball to the left.

how does one make the club face square a couple inches after the bottoming of the swing? (I assume that with irons by club face is square at impact, coinciding with the bottom of the swing.

interestes to hear your thoughts and experiences on this!

thanks

I would check out this thread

1)  where does your swing with the driver bottom:

Before the ball, maybe a few inches. 

2) what is the ideal angle of attack - hitting up on the ball or hitting down on the ball?

Hitting up about 1-3 degrees 

3) swing path - do you alter your swing path with your driver vs irons? If you hit up on the ball, wont the natural swing path makes you pull thr shot (heading to the left)?

For me the swing path will be different because of the ball position and my body tilt. My head is further back of the ball compared to the irons. Also, the ball is further forward. This naturally causes the ball to be hit with an inward path depending on how outward your path is to begin with. At some point the path has to come back inward. 

My irons I try to a slight push to push draw. With my driver I try to hit a slight pull cut to straight cut. In the image below the arc is the swing path. The cyan colored line is the path direction at impact. As you can see if the club passes the bottom of the arch its going to travel inward. So the ball on the right is a push draw. The ball on the left is a pull cut. 
Path.thumb.JPG.4c6f31908b171fc1e9426b9f2

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is very interesting - thanks for sharing.

what does the height of tee impact your swing?  Do you think your swing bottoms at the height from the ground regardless of the height of the tee (or if you tee it up high, the bottom of the swing will also be higher from the ground?)

This is very interesting - thanks for sharing.

what does the height of tee impact your swing?  Do you think your swing bottoms at the height from the ground regardless of the height of the tee (or if you tee it up high, the bottom of the swing will also be higher from the ground?

For a drive the club hardly ever hits the ground. 

For me the higher I tee the ball the more up I swing because I feel like I have to hit up. 

I think that could be true for some people. If they tee it up higher they might just swing higher, but keep the same angle of attack. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Mike has a video about how to hit the ball and stop slicing somewhere. That's helped me.... some. I still flare one pretty bad or pull one on occasion, but that's when my timing is off - the slice coming when I my hips outrace my arms, and the pull coming when I swing flatfooted.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!