IGNORED

Putting Stroke - Arc or Straight?

Note: This thread is 3794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Outside of about 10 feet nobody putts square to square or SBST. Nobody good, anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

Is the claw stroke using a arc stroke too?  Like Sergio and others from the tv with usuallly a face on view, it seems like SBST?

For short distance like with 8 feet, can you manipulate a SBST with a claw stroke just rocking shoulder slightly but without moving the head and other body parts?

http://youtu.be/XVbfv60fz1c

From the video, it seems like SBST for short distance.

You can use a arc stroke for long distance clam stroke?

Is the claw stroke using a arc stroke too?  Like Sergio and others from the tv with usuallly a face on view, it seems like SBST?

For short distance like with 8 feet, can you manipulate a SBST with a claw stroke just rocking shoulder slightly but without moving the head and other body parts?

http://youtu.be/XVbfv60fz1c

From the video, it seems like SBST for short distance.

You can use a arc stroke for long distance clam stroke?

A claw is just another way to quiet the right hand and prevent the dreaded "yips" or nerves. One can use the claw for longer putts.

Sergio stands to the side of the ball, his back is not parallel to the ground, he is not manipulating the putter. So he is not sbst.

If you're moving the head and any lower body parts noticeably, that doesn't work for any putt.

I saw a video by Mike Shannon - a noted guru - and basically he is saying that in a proper putting setup, for about 6 inches on either side of the ball, the putter is traveling fairly straight.

Hope this helps...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I thought people only get the yips with really short 100% makeable putts? Also, when i force my right hand in the swing, i tend to have a more stable stroke.

I feel i have more control with my right hand. The same thing i use with short chips and pitches. I think this is because my right hand/arm is obviously stronger because its used more, and thus it has had more practice with hand eye coord and control.

Is this really that bad?

I thought people only get the yips with really short 100% makeable putts? Also, when i force my right hand in the swing, i tend to have a more stable stroke.

I feel i have more control with my right hand. The same thing i use with short chips and pitches. I think this is because my right hand/arm is obviously stronger because its used more, and thus it has had more practice with hand eye coord and control.

Is this really that bad?

Well, in the modern era of golf, we don't want any hands in the putter stroke. It is a big muscle stroke.

Now the hands (together) may imperceptibly begin moving before the shoulders, but the modern era stroke is a shoulder stroke.

Introducing hands introduces inconsistency and more nerves. The right hand has a tendency to break down the left - that is why you see left hand low grips on tour and on the course. I have a grip that basically takes the right hand off the grip so it is more wrapped around the left and is just along for the ride.

As to straight or arc, if you stand with your back at an angle that is greater than parallel to the ground, you will have arc unless you manipulate - unless you are a touring pro who has perfected this from childhood, manipulation leads to inconsistency. On short putts, the putter may travel straight, but the reason is the putter is only traveling not more than 6 inches on either side of the ball.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Sry, what i meant was. I dont really use my hands. But what i do is instead of feeling like you control trajectory with the left hand/arm/shoulder leading, i do that with my right hand/arm/shoulder. This feels much more steady. But i always heard left should lead and right should basically do nothing/follow

Sry, what i meant was. I dont really use my hands. But what i do is instead of feeling like you control trajectory with the left hand/arm/shoulder leading, i do that with my right hand/arm/shoulder. This feels much more steady. But i always heard left should lead and right should basically do nothing/follow

It's steady because you're right handed. And the right hand will break down the left eventually as it tends to want to "hit" the ball. That's why touring pros go left hand low or they do what Kuchar does and gets a special putter made so you can anchor it against the left forearm.

And remember, with the putter, it's not about trajectory. It's about moving, typically, in a wide arc. Naturally wide - not unnaturally.

Here is a good hint from Dave Stockton - I recently picked it up ... again ... after forgetting it for several years. And it might help you get rid of any right hand tendency to hit.

Feel as if the BACK of the left hand is leading things on the forward stroke. The shoulders are, of course, moving, and the hands are moving together - it's a feeling of the back of the left hand leading the arc.

A lot of this is dependent on your setup alignments and position of your elbows. Even if you "choose" a stroke that makes the putter head move on an arc, if u had a laser pointing out the bottom of the shaft, it should trace a straight line. even MORE important that any of these principles is understanding absolute and relative rotation. In otherwords the head moving independently to the path, or the putter head "opening and closing" because it's on an arc. These are super important concepts to become a great putter.

James Hirshfield

Tour Professional Golf Coach

@hirshfield <-- Follow me on Twitter!

james@thegolfevolution.com

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

I prefer an arc, but if depends what works with you. Putting is one of those things that there is no right or wrong technique. There's no magic putting stroke that causes the ball to go straight into the hole 95% of the time. It all depends on what works for you, and the way your body moves. Some people prefer the straight back and through the ball, and some, like me, prefer a small arc. I want to encourage you to experiment with either one, and if you find a way that works for you, take it and run with it. But one thing I can tell you is keep your head, body, and wrists quiet. Don't have too much movement in your stroke, it just adds too many factors that can go wrong on such a small and simple stroke. Align yourself correctly as well to where you want to hit it and trust that line. No need to pull your head up and watch it roll. Keep your eye on the ball until it's about 3/4 the way to the hole, by eye on the ball, I mean where it was in position. Hope this helps

Note: This thread is 3794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!