IGNORED

How do you 'train' yourself to swing less than 100%?

Fairway_CY
Note: This thread is 3100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been struggling with keeping the ball in play off the tee for the majority of this year, and it's really been hurting my scores in some rounds.  The last round I played was a tournament that was played in a pretty heavy rain.  Because of that, I found myself swinging much smoother (slower) so that the club didn't slip in my hands.  Although I had a few loose shots here and there, for the most part, I found that I controlled the ball a lot better.

The last 2 holes of the round were possibly the toughest driving holes on the course, and both of them I took the same approach and didn't swing at 100%.  Both balls stayed in play and I made par and double bogey (entirely because of a poor chip and a three-putt).  

At home, I've been watching a lot of golf on TV and on YouTube.  Some players (like Jason Day) really go after the ball... while others (like Ernie Els) seem to have extremely controlled swings.  All of the good players have a balanced finish.  That's one thing I do not have.  I tend to almost fall back after my swing.  So... I've been grabbing my 8 iron and taking controlled swings (I'd say about 80%) in my living room.  

Last night, I took the kids out with me to the driving range because my wife had plans.  It was the first time I got to hit balls since the last round I played.  I went in with the mentality that I needed to swing 80%... but I found that every once in awhile, I'd over swing and it would totally disrupt my rhythm and then it would take another 2-3 balls before I found it again.  

My question is... how would I 'train' myself to always swing at that 80% and not revert to the all-out swing?  

Below is a video of one of my 5 iron swings last night.  This is the tempo I'd like to swing at every time.  I have no idea what distance it was carrying or anything, but I'd assume it was about 165... where my 'full' swing with the same club would carry the ball about 175.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What I would suggest on how to "train" yourself to hit full shots less that 100% is to start with your wedges.  Since, on the course you have to hit those shots anyways, you might as well start there,  If you hit your 60 90yds on a full swing, you really have to practice hitting it 85, 80, 75.  Pay attention to what those swings feel like.

is a good video on 1/2 and 3/4 swings.  

Once you can train yourself to control those distances, you should feel the rhythm and tempo.  From there it is just applying that same rhythm to full swings throughout the bag.  Basically, the drill is that you can't swing 100% to hit it 50% or 75% distance.  Its less about "controlling" your swing and more about feeling the rhythm of the swing.  

• Upvote 2

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

My question is... how would I 'train' myself to always swing at that 80% and not revert to the all-out swing?  

Below is a video of one of my 5 iron swings last night.  This is the tempo I'd like to swing at every time.  I have no idea what distance it was carrying or anything, but I'd assume it was about 165... where my 'full' swing with the same club would carry the ball about 175.

Few things you can do.

- Work on lessening or eliminating the pieces that cause you to overswing.
- Watch the swing video before you play and/or practice and "play" it in you mind as you're swinging.
- Repeat the tempo over and over again until it becomes more normal.

I actually had to do the opposite the last few months, I had to speed up my backswing. I "trained" it by making faster backswings.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I would agree.. Try those half wedges and irons to try and groove the 80-85% swing. There is an issue with tempo as well. Just slowing down isn't always the answer. When I slow down, I tend to try and 'steer' the ball instead of playing 'through' the ball. The trick is finding that sweet spot between clubhead speed, tempo, and swing path. I throttled back several years ago to gain some control at the expense of distance. When I was on track I could really nail it, but a miss was a mile. I have an internal metronome that I try to follow on any swing- driver, irons, half wedges, etc... It's more of a "1..2..3" and not "1,2,3". I tend to be a bit slower going back and fire on the downswing instead of a maniacal takeaway and slash at the ball. I can control where I am at the top when I slow it down that way, and if you're in position at the top, it's easier to bring it on path on the downswing. But that works for me. Those times when I WANT to thrash one and maybe get a few extra yards is easier using the same tempo with a slightly longer takeaway to the top, but still firing on the downswing. You dont seem to have a lot of extraneous movement which is good so keeping a balanced swing effort shouldn't be to difficult. But maybe a mantra just as you address the ball of the "1..2..3" count steady your instinct to thrash at it. Good Luck.

I dont train much for that.

I'm always 100% it works great.

If I cut down my back swing I still go at the ball 100%. 1/4 swing, 1/2 swing, gripped short of held at finish I go at it hard.

Nevertheless I do rarely hit really slow to test contact ability but never ever on the course.

I just do what my coach tells me. I have a certain tempo with a relatively quick takeaway because I tend to get the club into the proper A3 position more easily with it, then if I get after the ball I tend to make better contact and get my weight transferring forward. I'm not good enough yet to dial it back. Getting after it is still not hitting 100%. It's more like 90%. Swinging out of your socks is 100%. On the course I might really get after it with my driver on the tee after a poor putting job on the previous hole.

My first swings at the range are usually about 60% with a PW.  I have to be careful that I'm accelerating through and not decelerating.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

One way you could do it is to take your average distance for a certain club, and choke down an inch on the grip on try to hit 10yds less than average.  The idea is to focus more on contact and not taking the full wack.  This way, you're not thinking slow down, but more of a hit it less.  

Another thing could be to try a very loose grip initially, which forces a slow back swing, then you can accelerate down and you'll naturally grip it tighter, but the overall tempo is slower. 

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I've heard an 80% swing is quite helpful in wet conditions, too.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Thanks everybody!  All good suggestions!  

It's interesting how the replies vary.  I'm typically 'okay' with my irons.  If I hit a poor shot, it's either going to be heavy or right.  It's rare that an iron shot goes left for me, but when it does... it's usually a result of swinging very hard at it.

I like the contact I make with a 100% driver swing... and, the ball tends to jump for me when I do that.  I just find that I will hit 2 - 3 into big trouble per round when my timing isn't spot on.  I'll have to try some of the things mentioned here.

I do use a metronome at times... usually, I'll say 'forty-seven' and time my swing to that... but I'm not consistent in using it.  I should probably make it a part of my routine, because I DO find that when I use it... I tend to make better contact.

Thanks again for all the replies!

CY

Career Bests

I dont train much for that.

I'm always 100% it works great.

If I cut down my back swing I still go at the ball 100%. 1/4 swing, 1/2 swing, gripped short of held at finish I go at it hard.

Nevertheless I do rarely hit really slow to test contact ability but never ever on the course.

I definitely agree with the shortening of the backswing.. But if you hit your PW 130 and you have to hit it 122 yards. There is no way you are able to take a 84% backswing and swing 100% at the ball. So what you do is choke the club a bit and swing that 85%- 90% swing. It is always going to be more consistent and easier to accomplish.  I think "training" yourself to hit those different shots can not only help your game when you get into trouble on the course, but it can also (in this case) retrain tempo and speed through the swing.  I would never say you shouldn't be accelerating through the swing, however I believe that you don't always have to be swinging 100%

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

The best way to do it is to get a ladies club or real whippy club by design you have to swing it 75% to work and after a while you might find better rhythm and maybe even like the club a little. Your club is designed with a tolerance or range if it's an xx flex it will only work well at very high speed to moderate high speed. A reg flex works at med speed to approaching high speed. It's really not that hard to find a good range with the right shaft I play with a semi s flex shafts it's above reg below stiff and allows me to go firm and soft and get the results I need. It's a learned skill you have to practice but your clubs need to be able to do it.

Edited by Mike Boatright
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on this last night at the range and had a great session.  My transition at the top has always been to fast which causes all kind of problems.  I worked using an impact bag yesterday for quite a while.  The main thing that happened quite by accident is that I didn't want to hit the bag at full speed for fear of damaging it.  I did full swings but maybe at half power (or less). 

Since I was swinging easier, I gripped the club easier and made sure my arms and shoulders were relaxed during the setup and swing.  Wow, what a difference.  I was hitting the ball firmer and farther with what seemed like less energy.  My lag was great and effortless.  Plus, I was striping it on target with my irons and driver.  I did a nice pause at the top of my swing and really hit the ball on balance.  All this might sound obvious, but as we all know, we can be told something a hundred times until that moment it finally "clicks".  I think I might have found something.

• Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

It's not about swinging 80% or 120%, it's the synchronization and tempo that distinguishes them from you, they are all going at it, you just can't tell because they are not over-swinging. Let's take Payne Stewart vs. Nick Price, the difference in tempos leads one to believe that NP is swinging much harder than Payne and he's not. Try jumping rope, it will help you find your natural rhythm and help you get your hands, arms and lower body in sync. 

New_Bitmap_Image.thumb.png.5d14d75a206e2

I'm not sure why you think that the effort was not "full"? It looks like a full swing, possibly more?

The way I am doing it, is start really slow with my shortest club and work my way up with the least amount of effort with that club until I can make that same relaxed movement with longer clubs. For me, it starts to break down with my 7i. So, I stop and go back again.

Then I practice all my longer clubs without thinking about it too much and generally I swing less "hard". At this point, I never feel like I am "going for it" on the course, and the above exercise seemed to help.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm not sure why you think that the effort was not "full"? It looks like a full swing, possibly more?

Less than 100% of his previous tempo.  That video in the first post is a very smooth swing (not rushed).

Funny I worked on this with my instructor last night. I have been trying to swing way too hard with too much pause at the top. He had me build up a tempo and start with hitting an 8 iron about 30 yards and slowly working my way up to a smooth full swing. I am hitting about ten yards less than my max swinging out of my shoes but it's a lot more consistent which I value over ten yards with irons. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Less than 100% of his previous tempo.  That video in the first post is a very smooth swing (not rushed).

Yeah... that's what I meant.  I typically swing much harder, and find myself falling off balance after my swing.  What I was working on was a much more controlled tempo, trying to maintain my balance afterwards.

Funny thing is that, I was doing this the week before I went to Hilton Head for the tournament, and when I got there... I abandoned it all about 6 balls in to my Friday morning range session before the 1st round.  Every bit of 'feel' I had previously built up left me... and every 'less than 100%' swing I took resulted in an ugly, fat shot that left my hands stinging.  

Luckily, outside of a few swings here and there throughout the 3 days, I didn't really have any that were the result of swinging too hard... in fact, the biggest momentum killers on Day 2 and Day 3 were less-than-full wedge shots that I just yanked into the same hazard from almost the same spot.  

I appreciate all the feedback above.  Now that my season is over, I'm going to be working on tempo and consistency throughout the next 3+ months.  I like the drill that Lihu mentioned.  I think it's a way to be 'competitive' and focused during my practice sessions.  If I have to stop and start again, it'll force me to stay focused on what I'm doing.

The way I am doing it, is start really slow with my shortest club and work my way up with the least amount of effort with that club until I can make that same relaxed movement with longer clubs. For me, it starts to break down with my 7i. So, I stop and go back again.

Again... thanks everybody!  

CY

Career Bests

Note: This thread is 3100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!