IGNORED

My Swing (jb27)

TN94z
Note: This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

I want to create a swing thread for my 13 year old. He doesn't get on the internet much but we want to keep up with his changes without including them in my thread. His goal is to play for the high school team and just go from there So here is where we are for now.

His miss is usually a straight push that trails off at the end.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

He gets under turned on the backswing. Lower body isn't really doing much.

tn_1.thumb.jpg.a3cf2f4cb696e28ee59100ba5

Needs to bend the right shoulder "down and across" more on the backswing.

tn_2.thumb.jpg.4e2ffca4395f79ced8a9d37f3

Some good drills.

You can just hold an alignment stick or the grip end of a club for him here,

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

that was incredible mvmac how the person in the illustration got the left shoulder down on the backswing without dipping.

i would love to be able to do that , but sometimes i just think some of us have very limited ,physical "makeups".

i  wonder if it is actually our inherent physical limitations that  will always put us on the "back foot" to achieving a proper shoulder turn. 

my theory is a bit far fetched, but nonetheless i will persevere - i myself do not think that the human anatomy of all us golfers having swing problems, is actually suited to the game.

it is a big call i know, but i have never seen or heard anyone actually having the courage to even debate the possibilities of this being a reality.

I routinely troll and make things up. Please use my posts for your own amusement, and little else.

It is really not a physical limitation, It is a setup and flexibility issue. mvmac can explain that if you are setup correctly at address (hips perhaps bent forward a tad more for a slightly steeper turn), and keep the inclination to the ground, and feel a stretch of the back side (right side for a righty) the front shoulder will turn so that it is more pointed at the ball at the completion of the turn while keeping a steady head ... although I could be wrong. Look at his back and compare it to Mike's back at setup, too. Mike's shoulders are more rounded, his butt is not sticking out. Do it Mike's way and your son will not have back problems later.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

His issue is definitely not a physical limitation. His flexibility is off the charts..lol. He's just never had proper instruction of swing mechanics.

We will get to work on those drills. Thanks

Bryan A

that was incredible mvmac how the person in the illustration got the left shoulder down on the backswing without dipping.

Why thank you ;-)

Yeah the left shoulder going down and back keeps the head steady/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

thanks mr desmond and mvmac for the info, but i would like to add something to that , if i may.

ok, i am never going to have ample flexibility . it is not because i am old and rigid, as i work out with aerobics every day. it is just because i presume- my build is more suited to a football player.

that said, it makes absolutely no difference as to the way i set up with angles ,etc, with any body part and believe me, i have tried them all more than once, but i end up,  still, with the same shoulder problem.

what i have recently discovered to turn the tables around on  this crippling phenomena was an enlightenment to my own persona, but in the context of reality, it would probably be dismissed by golfers of your ilk.

anyway, i will try and explain my theory , as it may help someone in the same "boat".

when you take a stance, and only with the club in the one hand (left) ,try and swing with a few back and forth motions  as you are at address, so you are mimicking a left hand  ,backhand tennis shot, and for a full golf shot make the tennis motion go back as far as you can. it will feel very tight if you retain the the tension created .

it sounds bizarre, but it automatically "braces" the correct muscles in  my body, so i can then do not only a proper turn, but the windup torque is almost "scary"  

anyway, tell me i"m dreamin".

I routinely troll and make things up. Please use my posts for your own amusement, and little else.

(edited)

thanks mr desmond and mvmac for the info, but i would like to add something to that , if i may.

ok, i am never going to have ample flexibility . it is not because i am old and rigid, as i work out with aerobics every day. it is just because i presume- my build is more suited to a football player.

that said, it makes absolutely no difference as to the way i set up with angles ,etc, with any body part and believe me, i have tried them all more than once, but i end up,  still, with the same shoulder problem.

what i have recently discovered to turn the tables around on  this crippling phenomena was an enlightenment to my own persona, but in the context of reality, it would probably be dismissed by golfers of your ilk.

anyway, i will try and explain my theory , as it may help someone in the same "boat".

when you take a stance, and only with the club in the one hand (left) ,try and swing with a few back and forth motions  as you are at address, so you are mimicking a left hand  ,backhand tennis shot, and for a full golf shot make the tennis motion go back as far as you can. it will feel very tight if you retain the the tension created .

it sounds bizarre, but it automatically "braces" the correct muscles in  my body, so i can then do not only a proper turn, but the windup torque is almost "scary"  

anyway, tell me i"m dreamin".

I would really rather keep this thread about my 13 year old's swing. I would create a topic about that issue all to its own for something like that.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

my apologies TN94z as i am a bit on the novice side of things in relation to golf forums.

• 2 weeks later...

my apologies TN94z as i am a bit on the novice side of things in relation to golf forums.

No worries man. I completely understand. You would for sure get more help creating a topic specifically for your questions because there aren't a lot of people that will come in here to look at my son's swing...haha.  But again, no problem man. You have picked a great forum for information!

Jacob hasn't had a chance to get back to the range yet but I have worked with him a little to help him understand the hips and shoulders' role in keeping the head steady. I want him to understand why he's working on the things he is working.

Bryan A

• 1 month later...

Whew....the new job has really been keeping me busy, so we haven't practiced as much as I would like. It's coming though.

The good news is that Jacob made the high school team!!!  So, once he finishes up the 8th grade and begins as a freshman, he will be on the team.  Even better news is that the top players are going to be gone next year. Now while that is not so good for the team, I really think that will set Jacob up to at least be top 3 on the team from what I have seen. He says he is going to start working his butt off to take that top spot as a freshman since it's open. So, you will probably start seeing many videos posted up in here in the future.

Also, he gets to play golf for free at our local course (the home course for school). And that also means that daddy is cleared to get a membership...haha!

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

Nice swing he has there @TN94z. :-)

Of course, I can never say anything bad about any fellow lefty! :beer:

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Sir Nick Faldo saw his first golf match on tv,the Masters,when he was 13,took his first lesson at 14,was on the Ryder cup team at 22 .I would say Jacob is ahead of schedule.Has he had lessons ?

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

14 hours ago, Lihu said:

Nice swing he has there @TN94z. :-)

Of course, I can never say anything bad about any fellow lefty! :beer:

Thanks! Yeah, him being a lefty makes me have to think when I am giving him swing advice..haha

3 hours ago, collapse said:

Sir Nick Faldo saw his first golf match on tv,the Masters,when he was 13,took his first lesson at 14,was on the Ryder cup team at 22 .I would say Jacob is ahead of schedule.Has he had lessons ?

I bought him his first clubs when he was 5. He's been playing off and on since then. Yeah, he has had a few lessons over the years but never consistently with one teacher. I have worked with him on some 5sk stuff, but I have a teacher now that is going to work with him on a consistent basis. He's not a 5sk teacher, but at this point, I just want someone working with him consistently. I know the teacher personally and he is good.

Bryan A

• 2 weeks later...

We finally got back to the range today to put some work in. All he was working on was more hip turn since the last time his lower body wasn't doing much. He did work on the drills at home though. Here is a video from today. This one is FO. I have a DTL to0 but it's hard to see as it was getting late in the evening.

Bryan A

Here is Jacob's DTL video

Bryan A

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (TN94z's Kid)
  • 7 months later...

It's been a while. So Jacob has been working with a friend of mine. He teaches the traditional swing, but I had no choice. He's the only teacher close. Jacob has REALLY improved lately. He started out shooting high 60s on 9 to a mid 40 yesterday. He really strikes the ball well now. His main issues at the moment are putting and hitting his hybrids. He doesn't pick up on green speed very quickly and leaves his putts to far from the hole to make the 2nd attempt consistently. He also tops his hybrids more often than not. He's coming along though. If he has a 7, 8, 9, etc...in his hands, he hits the green pretty consistently. I was very impressed yesterday. We went to a course that he has never seen (it's where they will be hosting the district tournament) and played 9. He made par on the first 3 out of 4 holes and went on to shoot a 46 which included an 8 on the last par 5 and the fact that he did not have his SW during the round which caused him to hit some shots a good distance too far.

Bryan A

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw an update in here. I am going to post up some videos soon as Jacob's swing has changed quite a bit. His major issues now are his driver and his hybrids. He is not getting them in the air long enough to get any distance. The other kids are smoking him on driver distance and his hybrids aren't helping either. So he is still scoring well despite these things as he hits his irons pretty good. His putting has gotten much better. And I have been teaching him different chips and pitches. But he has worked his way to top 5 on the team and was even low scorer the last match where he almost dunked it from about 80 yards out. He's getting there. Now I'm going to have to buckle down on my game before he starts beating me...haha

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!