IGNORED

Your thoughts on my bag

Hazza
Note: This thread is 3080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there, 

Great forum here, lots of good info, first post for me. I'm looking for some opinions on the clubs I'm carrying and also some recommendations. I'm no tour player pretty high handicap at just over 24 but I'm having lessons and I'm getting better. 

My current bag consists of a Taylormade R5 Dual Driver, Ping G10 4 wood, Taylormade Superfast 2.0 4 hybrid, Mizuno Jpx EZ 4i to PW and 52 and 58 degree Cleveland wedges. 

So first question is what are your thoughts on that setup. The 4 wood I was using off the tee and I can still hit it well but I hit the driver pretty good these days too. Don't know if a 3 wood would be any good but think I may struggle off the deck with it which I can hit the 4. Also 4 iron and 4 hybrid keep both? Get a 3 hybrid or even a 7 wood? 

Driver wise for someone like me is there anything which could benefit me? I just got my current one as one to start with as I wasn't really using the driver but now I am I sometimes feel it could go further as my 4 wood seems to be getting almost as far. 

Fairway woods, any favourites out there, the G10 is pretty good to be fair. 

Anything I would buy would be used so I don't mind going back a few models. 

Thanks for your time. 

I thought this might be a thread about the wife.  Worthless without pics.

• Upvote 2

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I think it looks mostly fine.  There are two things I would suggest.  If you have trouble hitting your 4 iron high enough then replace it with another, higher lofted hybrid.  You could consider upgrading your driver.  Slightly used 2013 models can run under $100 and give you all the modern tech.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it looks mostly fine.  There are two things I would suggest.  If you have trouble hitting your 4 iron high enough then replace it with another, higher lofted hybrid.  You could consider upgrading your driver.  Slightly used 2013 models can run under $100 and give you all the modern tech.

R5 Dual is still pretty modern, not a lot of changes despite what Taylormade might want you to think. Only way to guarantee a performance increase out a new driver would be some sort of fitting to go along with it.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Any articular models spring to mind?

Thanks for all the replies so far. Played today, can't hit the 3 hybrid I have so that's out, 4 hybrid is good for little punches from the rough but I can seem to hit it off the fairway. 4 iron was OK but only used a couple of times. 4 wood hit a couple ok off the tee but didn't really use it other than that. The driver and 5 iron onwards were fine. 

I feel I've got a major gap between the driver and 5 iron. 

I had an instructor say to me, "it's not the arrows it's the Indian".

Of course that's not completely true, but does make a general point.  As long as you have fairly recent game improvement clubs I think they would be fine for now.

With that said, if you have enough wealth to were a couple grand spent on clubs every couple of years doesn't matter much to you, go get fitted and get new clubs.

Otherwise, I'd say set up a reward system.  For example, "if I can get under a 20 HI then I'll spring for new clubs".  That is what I did, next pair of clubs comes if I can get under a 15 with the caveat of no new sets more frequent than every 4 years.  (That couple grand means too much to me).  And, I made the rule, I may break the rule. ;-)

• Upvote 1

I had an instructor say to me, "it's not the arrows it's the Indian".

Of course that's not completely true, but does make a general point.  As long as you have fairly recent game improvement clubs I think they would be fine for now.

With that said, if you have enough wealth to were a couple grand spent on clubs every couple of years doesn't matter much to you, go get fitted and get new clubs.

Otherwise, I'd say set up a reward system.  For example, "if I can get under a 20 HI then I'll spring for new clubs".  That is what I did, next pair of clubs comes if I can get under a 15 with the caveat of no new sets more frequent than every 4 years.  (That couple grand means too much to me).  And, I made the rule, I may break the rule. ;-)

Pretty much agree with this.  I think that is a fine set of clubs that is not holding you back at this point.  I like the reward system idea too - a little extra motivation. :)

Hi there, ...

My current bag consists of a Taylormade R5 Dual Driver, Ping G10 4 wood, Taylormade Superfast 2.0 4 hybrid, Mizuno Jpx EZ 4i to PW and 52 and 58 degree Cleveland wedges. 

So first question is what are your thoughts on that setup. The 4 wood I was using off the tee and I can still hit it well but I hit the driver pretty good these days too. Don't know if a 3 wood would be any good but think I may struggle off the deck with it which I can hit the 4. Also 4 iron and 4 hybrid keep both? et  3 hybrid or even a 7 wood? ...

WUT says...

Sorry, but I got stuck inside the quote box. To @hazza: For starters, try a side-by-side test of your Driver, 4W and 4H. Do they have a fairly common ball flight and curve?

This past summer, I found I tended to miss left with my close-face driver and 4H, and had much better control with my square-faced 4W and 7W. I dumped my old 4H for a square-faced Cobra FlyZ 4H - it worked well in club championship - and want to get a driver fitting soon. Ping G30 at 10.5° worked best of the tests this summer.

If your long clubs have different flight and curve, this can mess up you game.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Thanks for that folks, sounds like what I have is good enough for the job but I can change when I want. I like that reward system, I had been playing over my handicap but played to it yesterday which was nice. Might try out a 7 wood to see what that's all about. I'll give the driver to 4h a run out too and see how they perform, I've never really looked at the faces on them, what's the difference? 

Note: This thread is 3080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!