IGNORED

Should Phil or Tiger be the Ryder Cup Captain

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Should they be a Ryder Cup Captain  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should they be a Ryder Cup Captain

• Just Phil
    • Just Tiger
    • Both Phil or Tiger
    • Neither

Brandal Chamblee doesn't think Tiger or Phil deserve to be Ryder Cup Captains. 

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-wants-to-be-a-ryder-cup-captain-but-brandel-chamblee-doesnt-think-he-or-phil-mickelson-deserve-to-be

I think both of them would be good captains. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be a captain of the Ryder Cup in the future. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It would be cool if they co-captained.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think either would do a good job.  Paul McGinley did a good job because he let his players play.  A Ryder Cup captain is simply an organizer and pep coach.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

As much as Tiger has always been just a player, I think he could be a great mentor / assistant coach.  I don't see him as a leader as much as the guy who knows what getting the job done means, and that person is good to have around.  Phil I can see as being a leader / captain for sure.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

At a future point I think they should/will captain a team.  But I think we are a few years out from them leading a team.

If nothing else, it would be great marketing.  

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I think they both should be captains eventually.   It's still bizarre to me that Larry Nelson was never the Ryder Cup captain.  I'm not sure how I feel about them co-captaining.

By the way, @saevel25 provided a great argument for why they both deserve to be Ryder Cup Captains: 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-wants-to-be-a-ryder-cup-captain-but-brandel-chamblee-doesnt-think-he-or-phil-mickelson-deserve-to-be

I think both of them would be good captains. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be a captain of the Ryder Cup in the future. 

They would both be better than Chamblee.

What ridiculous reasoning by Chamblee.  I suppose Arnie should never have been a captain because of his well known issues with Ben Hogan when Ben was captain?

He is really stretching to get his name banded about some more, without Tiger around to beat up on all the time.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I totally disagree with Chamblee's reasoning about Phil. I don't think a Captain can do a whole lot to help a team win, but they can certainly derail a team and that is what Watson was doing last year. I thought Phil did the right thing in speaking up in praise of the players after Watson tore them down. "You stink" is hardly motivational.

Edited by phan52
  • Upvote 1

Bill M

Perhaps Phil could be a viable captain, but I have a few doubts.

Tiger would be a complete disaster. Just like his golf game. 

My top 3 candidates for captains are Chris DiMarco, Rocco Mediate, and John Cook.

Edited by Kenny Lee

It would be cool if they co-captained.

A nice reference to their completely failed attempt at partnership in the Ryder Cup. Well done @Lihu

Both should be able to be captains. The game of golf owes both of them a great deal, if they want to be captains than so be it.

I will say understand Brandel's point, there was a time that Tiger was really awesome in the majors and so so in the Ryder Cup. But that is outweighed by their contribution the game as a whole.

Edited by iacas
removed extra returns

Michael

I'm confused...did I miss something? Of course they both should/will be captains, potentially multiple times each. I don't feel like reading the Brandel article but I'm not really sure what there is to discuss here. 

A nice reference to their completely failed attempt at partnership in the Ryder Cup. Well done @Lihu

Tiger-Woods-and-Phil-Mick-001.jpg?w=700&

:-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think they both should be captains eventually.   It's still bizarre to me that Larry Nelson was never the Ryder Cup captain.  I'm not sure how I feel about them co-captaining.

By the way, @saevel25 provided a great argument for why they both deserve to be Ryder Cup Captains: 

I totally agree with you regarding Larry Nelson. He definitely deserved to have been captain. That was an oversight by the PGA.

As for Tiger and Phil, the idea of them being co-captains is rather bizarre. Each would probably be a good captain at some point in the future, although I think Phil would be better at it.

Patrick Reed should be the next USA Ryder Cup captain. He went 3-0-1 as a rookie RC player at Gleneagles. Plus, he's fighting his way through controversy of backbiting from snarky former U. of Georgia golf teammates.

PR left Georgia, and then helped Augusta State to back-to-back NCAA D-1 national championships. In the finals of the second championship, he beat Georgia's Harris English 2-and-1. (Take that, Bulldogs!) Anyone see why UGa wants to badmouth him?

He's an in-your-face attack golfer, generating Tiger-esque earthquake at times.  Let's move past the accountants with gloved left hands, and turn the show over to a golf commando! 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Phil as a playing captain FTW :dance:

Seriously though they'll both obviously be captains sometime in the future.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Both clearly deserve being captains. BC is not qualified to judge.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think BC argued during the blowup around Phil's press conference comments that the Captaincy is more of an 'honorific' position for a great past American champion than true manager / strategist. If that's true, then they both deserve the nod at some time.

With the new U.S. team system where there seems to be an intent to have overlap between President's cup and Ryder Cup teams and lots of co-captain / assistant spots to build experience for future captains. I think Phil and Tiger have to prove themselves in this 'junior' role before they are captains, which includes showing some real 'team spirit' and 'helper bee' mindset rather than diva-ish or 'symbolic' participation. I think they both have a few years (Tiger more than Phil?) of playing competition left before this role makes sense for either of them. Where I think BC has a point is could either of them choke back the ego to be a constructive 'assistant' to the other when it is their turn to captain? I think that's kind of the expectation under the new team continuity model where the benefits of lots of golf and team competition wisdom is available to improve decisions and team handling.

Stricker was brought in because he's a natural low-key team guy and is nearing the end of his playing days and Furyk because he was already 'part of the team' and is a likely future captain based on his playing record. He will also likely play and qualify for a few more years at least so he's not likely to assist again until he's done playing (or qualifying).

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

I’m not a huge fan of either Woods or Mickelson, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with whether they should captain a team. And I don’t agree with Chamblee’s criteria for deciding who should be captain. Whatever these guys did as less mature, younger golfers has passed. I say that if these guys can get younger players to care about the team and play motivated, they qualify. And I have no reason to believe they can’t do that. Phil said and did a number of things at this event which indicated he can unify and motivate players. I’m willing to give Woods that same opportunity. If a smidgen of that Woods magic can rub off on some younger players, we’re fairly unbeatable.

Note: This thread is 3107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!